PDA

View Full Version : Emperor Bio Wheel 400 vs. Aqua Clear 500 - - Is One Better???

samcatj
01-25-2011, 07:38 PM
For the longest time I have had Marineland Emperor 400 filters on all of my tanks. I have noticed as of late how poor in quaility the filter cartridges are that you use with them. They do not last more than about two weeks before they turn into a mushy filter cartridge.

Is the Aqual Clear 500 any better? Does it do a better job of keeping large tanks clean? Do the filter cartridges last longer and are you able to substitute sponge filters in their place?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Samcatj

angel eyes
01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
I use to run the emperor 400's for years and they were great, but I agree that the mfr cartridges are turning to crap.
The last few boxes (before I sold mine off) were very thin on the cartridge floss to the point that the carbon was spilling out.

the ac110 (aquaclear 500 is the old model, 110 is the new) is what I'm running now. It's more powerful (higher gph turnover rate), has more room for custom media so you can break free of the mfr stuff, has an adjustable outtake flow control (low to high), can be fitted with a Lustar Max 3prefilter (always a good thing to implement ime), and the sponge/biomax/and carbon that's included is great. Granted carbons pretty much only good for removing medicines or clearing up smelly water (which you shouldn't have if your doing your regular tank maint.), but you can reuse the bag once the carbons exhausted and put other forms of media in there. The sponge is huge and thick and looks like it will endure for quite some time (simply squeeze and rinse), and the biomax should hold up equally well.

Just a few ideas of other media that can be used in there>> Purigen, chemi elite, broken terra cotta (bb), eheim cocoa puff like balls, Morning Glory Premium Polyester Fiberfill (Filter Floss)- just put it in a bag and use twist ties or zip ties to hold in place, etc.

Fast differences between the two
emperor 400's are easier to hide into the background (especially if your using a black one), but are harder to fit with a prefilter and don't allow as much room for "customized" media...also lower turnover rate.

ac110's are difficult to hide into the background regardless of the color you use, have a wider intake tube from what I recall of the emperor 400's (it's cylinder shape..think bigger diameter than a heater), ARE able to be easily fitted with a prefilter, and DO allow for "customized media", and also have a flow control.

MY experience with both of them is that they have to be "primed" in power outtages.

Justice
01-25-2011, 11:57 PM
For the longest time I have had Marineland Emperor 400 filters on all of my tanks. I have noticed as of late how poor in quaility the filter cartridges are that you use with them. They do not last more than about two weeks before they turn into a mushy filter cartridge.

Is the Aqual Clear 500 any better? Does it do a better job of keeping large tanks clean? Do the filter cartridges last longer and are you able to substitute sponge filters in their place?

Thank you in advance for your response.

SamcatjThe AquaClears do not use cartridges they have a sponge block and media bag with bio rings. and a second media bag with charcoal that can all be used together or independently as to your needs.

Both filters are good HOB Filters but at least in my opinion the AquaClear is a better choice for Discus.

discussmith
01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
You can't go wrong with either. I don't know why people waste their money buying the mfg. filter pads. They can be made quite easily. A roll of the bonded filter floss, some rubber bands and the old frames and you are good to go. With the frequent water changes carbon is not really needed but you can add that too if you build them right. I haven't purchased filter pads in years except to occassionally replace a broken frame.

mikel
01-28-2011, 05:40 AM
I do exactly that with my emperor and its cheaper cousin (in my opinion, better, easier to prime and start). I just use the frame of the two plastic cartridge, cur the $6 a piece floss pad to size, and use three rubber band to hold them together...voila. No fuss, throw away every two weeks, rinse in clean water alterante week to get the debris off. Use a pre-filter wrap on the intake. When you reduce the sater level to just right above the level of the top limit of the intake valve, the water cominy out is literally a dripping trickle...perfect for very slow water filtration for the fry that is about to go free-swimming and keeping the bio-filters alive.

discussmith
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
There you go. I agree about the prime and start. The darn things sound like there coming undone until they eventually get going. I send my water change right into the filter box and that seems to help them stay primed.

JCRigsbee
02-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a personal vendetta against marineland at this moment. I'd probably use a Tetra filter over theirs just to spite them.

GODSNAKE73
02-17-2011, 05:50 PM
You can put sponges in the back and in the front of 400 and loose media in the containers I been doing it for years.

Foxfire
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Biowheel filters are good - I used them for years but after using a canister filter, I got rid of all my biowheels. Canisters give me cleaner, and more clear water, are so quite I always thought they weren't working, and are much easier to maintain (which I never believed until I started to use them - no messy cartriges to remove off the tank with water spilling and back feeding some of the waste back into the aquarium after restart- for a canister, just closing two values and moving the entire unit to the sink is nice. Cleaning is simple and doesn't need to be done as often.)
I believe they are superior to most other filtering systems because (and have only partial proof) they can hold mostly bio-noodles, they offer far more "bio-active" filtering than any other filter but the wet/dry systems (which take a good amount of space.)
My two cents.

Jennie
03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
so hooked on AC filters..and you can add more sponge or rings if needed/desired

Eddie
03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Biowheel filters are good - I used them for years but after using a canister filter, I got rid of all my biowheels. Canisters give me cleaner, and more clear water, are so quite I always thought they weren't working, and are much easier to maintain (which I never believed until I started to use them - no messy cartriges to remove off the tank with water spilling and back feeding some of the waste back into the aquarium after restart- for a canister, just closing two values and moving the entire unit to the sink is nice. Cleaning is simple and doesn't need to be done as often.)
I believe they are superior to most other filtering systems because (and have only partial proof) they can hold mostly bio-noodles, they offer far more "bio-active" filtering than any other filter but the wet/dry systems (which take a good amount of space.)
My two cents.

Canisters are good, depending on the application. They may seem to keep the water cleaner but in essence, the stuff is still building in the canister. The water is being filtered through that build up. Unless a canister disconnects itself and primes itself, they are just the same to maintain as a HOB.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jennie
03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I thought my canister was a royal PITA to clean, and yes Eddie, I was doin it right! :)
Canisters are good, depending on the application. They may seem to keep the water cleaner but in essence, the stuff is still building in the canister. The water is being filtered through that build up. Unless a canister disconnects itself and primes itself, they are just the same to maintain as a HOB.

Eddie
03-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I thought my canister was a royal PITA to clean, and yes Eddie, I was doin it right! :)

Lol, good catch. On top of your game tonight. ;)

That's the thing, they are not easy to maintain. And with all the build-up inside them, they actually require more frequent upkeep.

Foxfire
03-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I in no way would put biowheel HOB's down - they are good units (and really help add O2 to the water compared to canisters) But I've never had much buildup in these systems and they need cleaning far less often compared to my biowheel (but I don't use glass wool in my cansiter, only the large pore plastic "sponge" that is supplied) and my tanks appear cleaner. Still, either unit works, I just have better luck with canisters compared to the biowheels.

Jennie
03-01-2011, 09:43 AM
pffffft
Lol, good catch. On top of your game tonight. ;)

That's the thing, they are not easy to maintain. And with all the build-up inside them, they actually require more frequent upkeep.

Eddie
03-01-2011, 09:44 AM
pffffft

Lol