PDA

View Full Version : Diatom Filter

dwafford0001
01-26-2011, 11:52 PM
I was just wanting some opinions how people like using diatom filters.

discusdaddy
01-27-2011, 05:29 AM
I GOT THE BIG ONE, IT IS A BIG MAYO JAR THING AND IT WAS PIA. PAIN IN ***. DID NOT USE VERY LONG IT WOULD SPIT SAND ALL OVER HELL AND THE LITTL DVERTER THING GUESS IT WAS THE SHUT OFF DID NOT LAST LONG AT ALL. I WAS TAKEING IT FROM TANK TO TANK IN THE ROOM AND THE BAGS THEY WANTED ME TO USE WERE A JOKE. RIGGED A MICRON FROM A MAGNUM IN IT WITH SILICONE AND I THINK I WAS SO MAD ABOUT IT I DID NOT EVEN TRY IT. WILL HAVE TO DIG IT OUT OF STORAGE ONE OF THESE DAYS AND TEST IT OUT TO SEE RIGERRADER FILTER EVER HELD.
IMO

William Palumbo
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
LOL...Daddy don't like it I take!...I have used them and I like them. The System 1 that hangs on the tank. I have used the Vortex one, but hate working with canister type filters. Great for polishing the water for a crystal clear look. Supposedly can filter out parasites such as flukes. I have my eye out for a cheap one...Bill

acroken
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
LOL...Daddy don't like it I take!...I have used them and I like them. The System 1 that hangs on the tank. I have used the Vortex one, but hate working with canister type filters. Great for polishing the water for a crystal clear look. Supposedly can filter out parasites such as flukes. I have my eye out for a cheap one...Bill

i wish they still made the system one filters. IMO the best for polishing water. I have used them for years and very bummed i only have one left. Anyone selling them, let me know.

Kenny

Bill63SG
01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
i wish they still made the system one filters. IMO the best for polishing water. I have used them for years and very bummed i only have one left. Anyone selling them, let me know.

KennyI have been using the Whisper Diatomagic and am in the same boat.Don't seem to make it anymore,but atleast they still have the replacement bags.Is super-easy to use,it looks like a HOB but goes in the tanks.If you found one used-I would recomend it.

dwafford0001
01-28-2011, 10:39 PM
i have started using a vortex xl and i am loving it

jimg
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
I used to use one but too much pita. I liked the hot magnum, much easier and does pretty close to the same job

discusdaddy
01-29-2011, 11:00 AM
it was a votex 2

discusdaddy
01-29-2011, 11:01 AM
i put my magnum 350 straight to bio wheels and it kicks butt.

korbi_doc
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
;) I love my Vortex diatom filter...have no problem most times starting siphon, but it can be a PIA once in awhile...would not be without it tho for any tank problems, & have used it for continuous filtering when needed, JMO.....

Dottie

YSS
01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I have system one and I bought it years ago because I had green water issues. I don't really use it anymore. But it does great job of polishing the water.

Kenny

Do you want buy mine? I aso have more than half bucket full of diatom earth. :-)

marielou20
11-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Where can i buy diatom earth.

jawfish
11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Aquatica has the Vortex packages, but I'll be honest I need more at a better price. Normaly the pool guys had it a while back don<t know if they still do. I'm droping by this weekend to check if they have. How much do you need ? I wouldn't mind splitting a bag.

Kingdom Come Discus
11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I have been using the Vortex original filter since 1977. The unit lasted over thirty years. I bought the XL in the late 80's maybe early 90's. I can understand why people don't like them as they have frustrated me too. However, if you follow the instructions to a tee they are very user friendly with a little practice. I don't have a working one now but I have considered buying another.

I used to prefer Vortex's powder as others seemed less fine and didn't seem to cover the bag as well. IMO you won't get your water clearer with any other filter.

jawfish
11-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Same here, well almost the same Kraig My d1 & XL are 20 years old and still going strong... the great thing about them is that all the parts are available as they haven't changed... I love them, I use them constantly as I love the fact that I can get the tanks really clear fast after cleaning the inside glasses.

gills
11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Have had the vortex, magnum, and hot magnum. All do a nice job of cleaning. I never really had any problems with any of them. I do like the magnums for the ease of the micro filters and hang on canister holders. The biggest problem that I have seen folks have is charging their systems with the earth. Just the micron filter does a good job.

discussmith
11-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I too have both the HOT and 350 magnum also the whisper. The marinelands never polished the water as clear as the whisper, but all of them did such a good job of micron filtering that they clogged up very quickly. They are very handy when you have a situation where you need to clear up a tank quickly and for some reason you can't make an immediate water change instead.

scuba guy
11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Anyone have to replace the shaft seal? I notice my Vortex XL started to spit a lot of bubble and sometimes lose prime.
I took apart the pump assembly and it seems the shaft seal is worn out. It looks normal, just that this is the only place I can see air getting in (like a Venturi affect).

Where can I buy a replacement seal?

Wahter
12-05-2012, 10:29 PM
I also have and use one of those Whisper Diatomagic filters. Great for polishing up the tank or when you have "green water". As mentioned, these are not made anymore, but the bags are still available.

Walter