PDA

View Full Version : Carbon

puntific
01-27-2011, 12:31 AM
What's the advice on running carbon. I'm pretty sure I read not to run carbon with discus, but I got a new Eheim canister filter and the instructions say to run the carbon for 2 weeks to pull out anything that the canister might put in... manufacturing oils and such.

I should do it for two weeks, right?

puntific

yim11
01-27-2011, 01:39 AM
I try to get most of the manufacturing oils and such off new hardware by hand, washing it well before use or putting it in water. If you can get most of it off by cleaning you shouldn't really need the carbon.

HTHs,
-jim

underwaterforest
01-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Jim, what is NADAs latest stance on carbon to HITH link? Still a fairy tale or have discus breeders found that carbon does lead to HITH and other issues? I'm only asking since I use a carbon reactor in my ozone system.

Sorry puntific for talking over your thread I hope it still in lines with your original questions intent.

zimmjeff
01-27-2011, 07:41 PM
what is wrong with carbon?

underwaterforest
01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
It is not a proven link but some discus keepers believe that AC (activated carbon) can lead to disease such as HITH (Hole in the Head). The theory (very much rumor with little facts) belives that carbon either removes elements necessary for the discus or somehow releases the extracted chemicals when the AC lifespan is over. It is a hotly debated notion and lots of discus keepers decide not to run AC to avoid the possible risk and also added expense of AC, which isn't needed in most cases.

Hogman
01-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I've been running aquariums for 30+ years without using any carbon. and especially with my discus. Why? because of the water changes

yim11
01-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Jim, what is NADAs latest stance on carbon to HITH link? Still a fairy tale or have discus breeders found that carbon does lead to HITH and other issues? I'm only asking since I use a carbon reactor in my ozone system.

Sorry puntific for talking over your thread I hope it still in lines with your original questions intent.

As an organization we don't have an 'official' stance on any subject that I'm aware of aside from the promotion of the hobby. As a group our members opinions vary just as much as those in this thread and I agree with your comments that there is little (if any) facts to support either side of the theory. I've used AC in the past with no HITH cases, have a close friend that's never used it and has dealt with HITH, so I'm not sure there will ever be resolution either way on this subject.

HTHs,
-jim

zimmjeff
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
thank you for the quick answer. i was wondering because i have been using it in my discus tanks for 20 years with no trouble.

pcsb23
01-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Activated carbon (AC) is an adsorptive media. When something is adsorbed it is chemically (ionically from memory) bonded and is extremely difficult to release requiring massive energy (heat) and/or significant chemical differences (like extremely strong acids). What this is leading to is that AC will adsorb trace elements along with other "stuff". If your water is rich in trace elements then there is no real issue, if it is poor in trace elements then there may be an issue. The issue is easily addressed by replacing said trace elements, this can be from a commercial mix or by doing water changes.

Does AC cause HITH? in my opinion no not specifically, but if it removes trace elements, which are linked to the the fishes health then it may contribute. I think keeping an open mind and being aware of your own water conditions applied with that very rare commodity of common sense will keep things in perspective.

If you do regularly and reasonably frequent water changes then there is no reason to use AC on a continual basis, so save your money for something more exciting (like more discus ;)).

To answer the original question, I would use the AC pad for the first couple of weeks, it won't do any harm and may do some good!

puntific
01-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks all, this has been interesting and educational.

puntific

underwaterforest
01-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks Jim and Paul for your input.

As the HITH to AC link I I'm on the same wavelength as Paul and if anything it should cause a lack of trace mineral if anything. Since my tap water is low in trace and other mineral I have tried some of the discus essentials from Kent to add more back into my source water. This is probably unnecessary but it makes me feel better when using AC day in and day out with my ozone system.

Alex

YSS
01-29-2011, 11:04 AM
I have 4 cannister filters running on my 265G tank, but water is never really crystal clear no matter how mcuh water changes I perform and how often I clean my filters. When I use AC, water clarity is remarkably improved. For that reason only, I would continue to use AC. I am sure AC also removes undesirable stuff from the water column as well.