PDA

View Full Version : Adding CO2

TonyAPBTx
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
So I have just added co2 to the tank via a regulator and a 20 lb cylinder.

How long before I should start seeing a difference? I am asking so I know if I need to pump up the volume a little on the co2 thats being added or if I should be more patient.

Thank you.

TonyAPBTx
01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Also, how long should a 20lb co2 tank last me? I have a 180 gallon tank.

jimg
01-27-2011, 01:02 PM
20lbs is a lot! I had a 10lb for a 90 with a trickle filter and that lasted me about 5 months. The difference you'll see could vary so much with light temp ferts etc. I think I saw most growth in a couple weeks, don't exactly remember. I would highly recommend a co2 controller if you don't have one, as the tank pressure gets low it will dump all the co2 into your tank if your not on top of it. Also this will help http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7k7rpEFNSNsAXTdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1MmpibXF iBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1NNRTAyNF8xN jA-/SIG=1266cnsrn/EXP=1296176491/**http%3a//fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html

jcardona1
01-27-2011, 01:37 PM
It's hard to say how long it will last. It all depends on how effeciently you dissolve the co2 and what your flow rate is. Do you have a drop checker? That's the best way to determine where you're at. My drop checker would go from blue to green after about 1.5hrs. After 3-4 hours it would be bright yellow.

TonyAPBTx
01-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I dont have a bubble counter.

I didn't realize how big the 20 lb tank was going to be until I got it haha.

jcardona1
01-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I'd say definitely get a bubble counter. Best way to see how much co2 your adding. It's all based on BPS, bubbles per second

TonyAPBTx
01-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Another question, this is currently how I have the co2 running into the tank. Please give me any feedback you have.

I have a hang on the back filter. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the in-take for the air tube to run into. The tube runs through the hole and up a bit into the in-take valve of the filter.

My theory is that when the bubble is released it will straight up the in take valve and run directly into the impeller without hitting air. The impeller will disperse the big bubble into all kinds of tiny bubbles and then be released back into the main tank with the rest of the clean filter water.

I'm assuming that the carbon in the filter won't have any effect on the co2.

Any/all feedback is appreciated.

jimg
01-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyway you can get the most co2 to water contact will work. I like the aqua-medic reactors. one setup I have I hook the reactor to the outlet of the trickle filter pump.
I have another piped into a canister inlet.
A bubble counter is a must have, I never relied on how many bps I relied on the ph controller. the bps just gives and estimated flow.
Just an edit; I don't run my co2 through a canister with a motor in it, I make up my canisters in series. If the way you try does not work enough and you decide to put it through a canister go for the outlet side, co2 can build up and stop the filter

jcardona1
01-27-2011, 08:49 PM
It's hard to say. Best way to know is with a drop checker. If you're running a fairly fast BPS rate and you still aren't getting a green color, you may need to look for me effective diffusion options. You could always do a glass diffusor, those are cheap and easy to hook up. An even better option is the DIY PVC reactor plumbed inline with a canister filter.

RudeDogg1
01-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Prob not the best way to diffuse (it can knacker the impeller and motor) I use a in line atomiser on my filters outlet pipe.

jimg
01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Prob not the best way to diffuse (it can knacker the impeller and motor) I use a in line atomiser on my filters outlet pipe.

just curious, do you have a link to one of these?

White Worm
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
A reactor is the best way to difuse co2 completely. I built mine just like rex and it works great. You would connect your canister filter outlet to the top of the reactor. Bottom of the reactor is connected to the return on the tank. You need a bubble counter and a drop checker.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm