PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the discus world looking for confirmation of strains

The Guppies
01-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi All

I am new to the world of discus ( this is my second year ), i have 3 pairs which i have attached pictures

This first 2 pictures the i was sold it as a Pigeon Blood Chequerboard

This next one i was sold as a Yellow Diamond

The 2 fish above have produced lovely white fish which i will post pictures of shortly

The next Picture was sold as a pair of chequerboards, that i agree with and unless i am wrong i dont need identified

This last picture contains what i bought as a Red Alenquer female and a Cobalt Blue Male

Can someone please confirm what i have bought is as sold and not something else ?

this discus hobby has a very steep learning curve !!

regards

Melissa
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Ohhh, nice fishies! Not sure about IDing the last two though. I'm sure an expert will be along shortly :) well done on breeding them btw. Very cool.

The Guppies
01-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Below is the pictures of the young i have bred with the first 3 pictures pair in the previous attachement, i think these are snow whites or white diamonds, can someone confirm ?

They are currently 3.5 month old and between 3.5 inch and 4 inches in size.

wendy9722
01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
I dont know what they are but they are very nice especially the dark trim on the fins.
Wendy

mathao
01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
looks like you might have created a new strain;). call them white pb's cause of the slight peppering on them:D

hedut
01-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Below is the pictures of the young i have bred with the first 3 pictures pair in the previous attachement, i think these are snow whites or white diamonds, can someone confirm ?

They are currently 3.5 month old and between 3.5 inch and 4 inches in size.

from what I know and I ever see if there any peppering in snow white, this could be from ghost discus but not sure :)

hedut
01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi All

I am new to the world of discus ( this is my second year ), i have 3 pairs which i have attached pictures

This first 2 pictures the i was sold it as a Pigeon Blood Chequerboard

This next one i was sold as a Yellow Diamond

The 2 fish above have produced lovely white fish which i will post pictures of shortly

The next Picture was sold as a pair of chequerboards, that i agree with and unless i am wrong i dont need identified

This last picture contains what i bought as a Red Alenquer female and a Cobalt Blue Male

Can someone please confirm what i have bought is as sold and not something else ?

this discus hobby has a very steep learning curve !!

regards

first picture look like pigeon SS but I could be wrong :)
Yellow strain is very tricky to judge specially from the picture :)
third pigeon base for sure and many supplier call deference from others :) but those are beautiful fish wonder how big are they :)
fourth : first fish look kinda brown base or could be alenquer and second cobalt about sex not sure until they have they own fry than confirm sex :)

The Guppies
01-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok the fish in the first 2 so far have been identified as

Pigeon Snake skin ( poss Yellow variety ) - I think that is the male from his behaviour during breeding and rearing, he is 6 inch long

The second is Pigeon based ( Yellow chrystal ??? ) - i am sure that is the female and she also is 6 inch

The Brown fish is also 6 inches and i can confirm she is a female, i currently have lovely fyoung ( 6 weeks old ) from these two, the male is a cobalt blue and is 7 inch in size, he also packs one hell of a punch as i found out when feeding the young beefheart by hand one day !!

Its really the pigeon ones that i am unsure of strain, any other ideas anyone ?

PAR23
01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics. I don't have a guess what strain that is but raising them frys and seeing the condition of your fish would definitely not qualify you as a newbie..:)

Second Hand Pat
01-29-2011, 07:39 PM
They are all nice and well done for only your second year with discus. I just entered my second month. :)

Jhhnn
01-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Very nice, well cared for discus. You're doing something, more likely a lot of things, right.

The first fish is a pigeon, and a snakeskin, because of the fineline markings on the gillplates. Maybe a white scorpion or white scorpion throwback. the second is a pigeon, too. More than that, I dunno. I wouldn't have expected their offspring to be as they are, but they're nice, anyway, and definitely unusual. They may show more color as they mature.

Your checkerboard pair are definitely checkerboards. The one on the right has some of the fineline facial markings of snakeskins, so it may have some in its ancestry.

Alenquer and cobalt seems right for the last 2. The big blue guy definitely seems to be a cobalt to me...

Eddie
01-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Very nice, well cared for discus. You're doing something, more likely a lot of things, right.

The first fish is a pigeon, and a snakeskin, because of the fineline markings on the gillplates. Maybe a white scorpion or white scorpion throwback. the second is a pigeon, too. More than that, I dunno. I wouldn't have expected their offspring to be as they are, but they're nice, anyway, and definitely unusual. They may show more color as they mature.

Your checkerboard pair are definitely checkerboards. The one on the right has some of the fineline facial markings of snakeskins, so it may have some in its ancestry.

Alenquer and cobalt seems right for the last 2. The big blue guy definitely seems to be a cobalt to me...

+1, and those white based offspring are very strange to come from 2 pigeons. Great shape on them too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
+1, or is that +2?

The Guppies
01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys,

Only one i am now unsure of is the one pigeon based but what, i was sold it as a yellow diamond, someone else mentioned in BIDKA that it may be a Yellow Crystal.

Can anyone take a stab at the young as i would like to advertise them as close or correctly as i can strain wise ?

Greatly appreciated guys

vera
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM
i would say red based PB and the other one has spots as well !

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=64513&d=1296333587

Jhhnn
01-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I'd call them "White Pigeon Bloods". They're really not members of an identifiable strain other than that. They have pigeon Blood parents , and they are white, therefore...

I suspect that they'll color up some as they mature- show more yellow, maybe some pale blue in their fins. That's just a guess.

discuspaul
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Don't know what they are, or what you should call them, and they will likely color up as they mature - but one thing's for sure - they are, and will be, superb looking discus !