PDA

View Full Version : Advice on aquarium filters???

Doodle Discus
02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 5 juvie discus. I would like to change over to a new filtration system because my current one (cascade cannister) is not getting the job done, even with a Nitra-zorb filter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Eddie
02-09-2011, 10:20 PM
I currently have a 30 gallon tank with 5 juvie discus. I would like to change over to a new filtration system because my current one (cascade cannister) is not getting the job done, even with a Nitra-zorb filter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What is it that you need done that this filter is not doing? What is your water change frequency/feeding schedule and types of foods?

Doodle Discus
02-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I am feeding live black worms and blood worms. We are doing 20% changes 2-3 times a week. I keep having a nitrate problem, and the filter takes up alot of space in the tank. I do clean up all excess food and shut the filter off when I feed.

ericatdallas
02-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I am feeding live black worms and blood worms. We are doing 20% changes 2-3 times a week. I keep having a nitrate problem, and the filter takes up alot of space in the tank. I do clean up all excess food and shut the filter off when I feed.

I don't think a filter is going to help you with your nitrate levels. What are they anyway?

You might need to do more water changes.

andyl9063
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
trying upping the water changes to 4 times a week of 25%..

Chad Hughes
02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Have you tested your tap water for nitrate? Your filter will NOT remove nitrate. Increasing filtration will not eliminate your problem.

If your tap water has nitrate in it, you will always have a nitrate problem. If your tap water is nitrate free, larger water changes will be required.

Best wishes!

Doodle Discus
02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I am upping the water changes and slowly removing the gravel. I was given bad advice from and LFS on keeping the old gravel. I purchased a new and bigger tank , which I hope to start cycling tomorrow. This way I can do a bare bottom tank which will make my life easier:)

ericatdallas
02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am upping the water changes and slowly removing the gravel. I was given bad advice from and LFS on keeping the old gravel. I purchased a new and bigger tank , which I hope to start cycling tomorrow. This way I can do a bare bottom tank which will make my life easier:)

Hopefully you aren't buying the new tank from the same LFS. Then you're rewarding incompetence :P

2wheelsx2
02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
and the filter takes up alot of space in the tank.

I find this part confusing. If it's a canister, how does it take up space in the tank?

katurner35
02-11-2011, 09:17 PM
That canister is easy to prime when it is under water and you can use real short hoses.:antlers: