PDA

View Full Version : Flourish Excel users........

s4surf
02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
I listened to a majority of people and bought some excel. I have a 90 gal low tech planted discus tank that I started by using 6 capfuls. I did not want to overdose the system per the warning on the label. When I do a WC of around 30 gal I add one capful back into the system. I have noticed that the BBA has started to turn red and I'm wondering if I am using too much. IE: most people have said they had to use a shringe at full strength to get this to occur.

Forgive me if I ask some newb ?'s;

How do you measure the PPM of Fourish in your water or do you actually care?

What dose do the masses use when adding it during a WC?

Should I just let the BBA die off and let the filters take it in? OR should I be triming everything that has it? I believe the inital problem where the BBA took over was too many organics from me not cleaning the canisters often enough.

I now have 12 lily pads in my tank from using the Flourish :D The Discus seem to really like the overhead cover.

Thanks,
Steve

smsimcik
02-17-2011, 03:20 PM
I have a low light 100 gallon planted tank and do once weekly 40% water changes. I dose Excel at 1 cap/20gals. every time I do a water change. After a week or so, I feel most of the Excel has been depleted and needs to be replaced. The dose given on the Excel label is 1 cap/20gals. after large water changes.
The dose you're using sounds about right. Some of your BBA may be dying off from the Excel in the water column. If I were you, I'd try to physically remove as much BBA as possible and continue regular water changes and dose with Excel like you have been. There is a technique for syringing Excel directly onto BBA to kill it. It works, but you can damage plants and fish if you use too much. I have melted crypts. by squirting Excel directly on them. hth.

discuspaul
02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
smsimcik's advice is good. You're on the right track. Do try to physically trim away as much of the dying BBA as you can, and keep dosing Excel regularly with your wc's. I have a 75 gal. low tech planted tank, and do up to 50%wc's twice weekly, at which time I dose 1 capful each of Excel and Comprehensive Supplement. Does a good job with the plants, and keeps algae to a bare minimum.

s4surf
02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies,

I had been making headway against the BBA but noticed the RED and remembered what someone had said in my old thread about the shringe technique. I was worried I did too much too quickly and did not want the discus to be effected. I also did not want to melt my Val's and burn the different Anubias's. I found some nutrifin plant grow fert., would this be comparable to what your calling a comprehensive supplement?
thanks,
Steve

discuspaul
02-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Don't know Steve, I've never used, or even seen, nutrafin plant grow fert., and have no idea what it contains or what it's meant to do. The Comp. Suppl. is a Seachem Flourish product (as Excel is), that provides nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and other beneficial elements that nourish plants.

s4surf
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks Paul and smsimcik,

The nutrifin is a 15-0-0 fert with iron and was something I had purchased some time ago. I will use it until I can look into the other Seakem products.
I really need to find the time to read through more of the literature and maybe some day I'll have a planted discus tank.

I have some BBA on the larger pieces of eco-complete substarte. there might even be a couple tumbleweeds :D Can I just bury them with a top coat of PFS or will I end up in trouble because of the gas pockets from decaying debris? Most of the BBA right now is turning red or white if that makes a difference. Or do you think I should just wait on the top coat of PFS until I make sure I have the water chemistry corrected?

Steve

smsimcik
02-18-2011, 03:44 PM
As I mentioned in the post above, you need to remove as much of the live and dead BBA that you can. Don't bury any tumbleweeds. You don't need that stuff decaying in your substrate. Remove all the substrate that has dead or live BBA on it. If you want to add some fresh substate on top that it should be ok.
I would also mention you may want to stop using that nutrifin supplement now. That number 15 is nitrogen. You don't need to be adding nitrogen. That will only help feed the algae unless you have alot of fast growing plants.

s4surf
02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks,

I think I read it wrong this morning. it shows .15-0-0

This is the stuff ,

http://s3.amazonaws.com/tc-photos/11442/product/giant/501865.jpg

I will attempt to clean all the BBA up this weekend and I will stop using that fert. Once I have it under control then I'll add the top coat of PFS.

smsimcik, do oyu use any other products other then the Excel in your tank like Paul does? I was thinking that a fertilizer plug might be better to use than a liquid if I'm going to go out an purchase something.

Steve

smsimcik
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM
I use the liquid Flourish Plant Supplement once weekly when I do water changes. I have also used the Flourish Tabs in the substrate and they work fine also. Both products are made by Seachem, the same maker of Excel.

discuspaul
02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
I use all 3 - Excel, Comp. Supp., and root tabs as well, the latter refreshed with new tabs every 3 or 4 months.

s4surf
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Its going to be a busy day tomorrow :(

i will look into the other products you both mention and hopefully get back on track.

another ? I found a bottle from when I used to keep a Discus tank from Kent Marine called discus essentials. either of you ever heard or use it? When I first kept discus many years ago from a local breeder she had recommended using this product and I could not argue with what I saw in her basement :) Just wondering if either you add anything for the fish along with the plant needs.

thanks,
Steve

smsimcik
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
I have never used Discus Essential. It replaces trace elements used by the fish and plants. I'm sure it is a good product and would probably benefit a planted tank. But I never felt a need to use it. My tanks have done fine without it.

discuspaul
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
I have never used Discus Essential. It replaces trace elements used by the fish and plants. I'm sure it is a good product and would probably benefit a planted tank. But I never felt a need to use it. My tanks have done fine without it.

+1

s4surf
02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
I removed all the BBA that I could and covered the bottom with white sand. I also picked up all the SK products above and will start using them as directed...

I plan to start at once a week for the suplmnt and add the plugs, or should I be waiting until I make sure the BBA is gone before i add the water colum fert? Also, how often are you treating with excel? I know the label says as much as once a day or every other day, but I want to start on the right foot here :) Is there away to tell when you have enough visually? I would not call my tank heavily planted but its not sparse. 5-6 Bluferi sp? swords, 2 different vals with probably 20-30 plants, 3 anubias types, and a dwarf lily with 14 lily pads :D

Thanks,
steve

discuspaul
02-25-2011, 11:07 PM
You can add the root tabs and begin dosing anytime - it seems your tank is reasonably well planted and the ferts will help their growth.
Start slowly with the excel - follow the dosage directions per gallonage, and do it every second or third day for starters. No, you won't be able to tell visually if you have enough - only time and the results will give you any indication.

s4surf
02-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks......fingers crossed :D

Steve