PDA

View Full Version : Sand color too dark?

rosyrobyn
02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
I've posted this here rather than the beginner section because I'm setting up a tank for some of Dale's f1's (are these still considered wild?).

I dropped by a pool store and bought some pool filter sand. I was a little surprised to see that it is a tan color - not white. Is this going to be too dark? Do F1's still show good coloring with darker substrates? I've also bought a 3D background that is darker than I was expecting.

I thought that discus in general show better with lighter backgrounds and substrates. Is this not the case for wilds/F1's?

hedut
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I'm an expert but tan color should be fine :)

Harriett
02-17-2011, 08:54 PM
It's fine!
Harriett

rosyrobyn
02-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Oh thank goodness! I didn't want to get the tank set up only to have to change out the sand because the fish turned dark.

Second Hand Pat
02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Hey Rosyrobyn, Is BB an option for you? Might be easier to keep clean with all the feedings. I am also getting some of Dale's fry also. What are you getting?

rosyrobyn
02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Rosyrobyn, Is BB an option for you? Might be easier to keep clean with all the feedings. I am also getting some of Dale's fry also. What are you getting?

Yes, I'm definately going BB until the fry are fully grown adults. I've currently got a 29g BB currently cycling for when the fry are still small. Then into a 75g BB. While the fish are growing out, I'm collecting equipment for a 125g as funds allow.

The 125g is a display tank, originally intended to be a lush planted tank because I've enjoyed doing higher tech plant tanks - CO2, ferts, higher lighting. The idea was to set the planted tank up while the fish grow out, allowing plenty of time for the tank to mature before any fish being introduced.

But lately I've been inspired to make the tank more of a biotope (yes, I've been inspired by your tank :)). With wild's it only seems natural to try to make the environment more like nature. I'll probably still have too many plants in it to make it a true biotope but I'm trying to reign back my desire to stuff it full. Floating plants, couple of swords, java ferns - easy stuff.

As for what kind to get, I can't make up my mind. The solomon's are amazing... but so are the alenquers and the cuipeuas. I guess it'll depend on what Dale has available when my tank is cycled - they are all fantastic!

Second Hand Pat
02-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Are you another red fan? Check out his Inanu royal reds or Dale is calling them his Red Jordan Turks. Does Dale have his alenquers and cuipeuas spawning yet? I will be getting 6 of the Solomon X he just sent to the US.

rosyrobyn
02-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I do love the reds. I keep pulling up his website just to stare at his breeding stock. I'm not sure which strains he has spawning but as soon as I've got everthing ready to go I'll be putting my name on the next available order list.