PDA

View Full Version : The use of peat in filters.

vinny molloy
02-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Am using a bag of fluval peat for the 305 ex/filter to stain my water any ideas how
long it lasts and is it really needed.
I do like the look and want to mimic the black waters of the rio negro.

TURQ64
02-18-2011, 09:14 AM
As for whether or not it's 'needed', the deabate could last a long time. No, it's not needed, and generally favored as of late by keeper's of wild fish. It is a nice way to lowere your ph, and add color and tannin's to the water column..It lasts a long time, and is a bear to get 'soaked' the first time..

Harriett
02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
My understanding has always been that if you are going to use peat to actually soften the water, it is pretty much done in at about 2 weeks and you need to set up fresh peat in the filter. Pre soak the peat so it is wet all the way through or it is like herding cats to work with!
Best regards,
Harriett

Bonfils
02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Idk if its worth anything but I get pretty good tannin and results from saguaro cactus skeleton seems to last a while Ive also used ironwood chips with decent results Peat is probably the best and I do like it but have problems finding it locally for a decent price

daveo
02-19-2011, 07:03 AM
My understanding has always been that if you are going to use peat to actually soften the water, it is pretty much done in at about 2 weeks and you need to set up fresh peat in the filter. Pre soak the peat so it is wet all the way through or it is like herding cats to work with!
Best regards,
Harriett

Yeah, I was going to say three weeks or so and it is in Ineffective.
Strong at first then petters out with water changes.

Daveo

DerekFF
02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
No its not needed what so ever except maybe in some extreme situations and as others added it doesnt last long. Does work nice, but WAY WAY more hastle than its worth.