PDA

View Full Version : Kribensis question

Jennie
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I had a small spawn of 10 I pulled out of discus tank along with both parents a few weeks ago.. The female since killed the male and took care of babies herself till few days ago when I moved her back to the discus tank. The babies are eating crushed flake food fine without her..
Well since moving her back she has joined up with another male Krib and is ready to spawn again..My Q is..once she lays her eggs in the rock cave can I move that and her alone(no Male) back to the tank with the babies to hatch out the new eggs or will she try to kill them??:confused:

William Palumbo
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
She may try and kill the babies. Since she killed her mate, she has a taste for blood!...LOL...Usually they get along well with each other. You always have to be different Jennie!...Bill

Jennie
02-22-2011, 10:47 AM
lol, Bill, I have to be me!

jimg
02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
I had Kribs one time breed in a 55 with discus they had every fish in the tank crammed into a corner...nastie little buggers breeding time!!

Jennie
02-22-2011, 08:41 PM
this time when I move her and babies, male stays behind! Im nort sure I even need to move her.. she doesn't feed them?? that's another question I hope someone can answer.

konceppt
03-15-2011, 02:32 PM
You can remove them both but its strange behaviour since they are usually VERY good parents.My female has remained in the tank with her fry and they all grew to full size.She only started to get aggressive when it was breeding time again.

Ryan
03-19-2011, 02:21 AM
I wouldn't mix her back in with the previous fry. Once they spawn again, they usually don't tolerate other fish well (including their previous spawn).

Most of the time, kribs make excellent parents. There's always the chance of a pair turning on each other, though. I've had this happen with every species of cichlid I've kept, so it's not that uncommon.

Usually females will leave the cave with a little herd of fry following her. It's a fun behavior to watch. She does not feed them -- once they go free-swimming you can siphon them into their own tank and feed them live or decapsulated baby brine shrimp.

Here's a video of my albino pair with some little ones: http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/ryansmith83/?action=view&current=Movie-1.mp4

Jennie
03-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanx Ryan! I went ahead and removed her from the spawn early, because the spawn was small, I figure let her produce large one sooner.. Thinking this spawn would die off without her they were quite small and still fit in her mouth, not so, they are 1/2 inch now..did fine without her..and I have albino and dk from this spawn.. they are now eating Bld worms and FDBW as well.. I will post pics soon as I find time on my krib thread

DerekFF
03-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Mine just appeared this morning with a herd of about 100 free swimmers! Its super awesome to watch her herd them around the tank. Theyve been eating golden pearls like champs so far. Parents are both great, but the dad runs away every time i come close. Mom just sits and watched me carefully lol.

Jennie
03-20-2011, 10:57 PM
will be cool if you get both light and darks!

DerekFF
03-22-2011, 02:24 AM
both light and darks? I didnt know there were different shades lol. only regular and albino

Jennie
03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
regular=dks albs=lts smarty:p

DerekFF
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
OH! lol well dang you pistol! I dont think either of my Kribs are intermediates. So doubt ill be getting any albs, unless theyre commonly occuring for some reason in Kribs

Jennie
03-23-2011, 01:01 PM
lol!

Ryan
03-23-2011, 01:15 PM
It depends on what the parents were. The albino gene works differently in kribs. For instance, they're one of the few fish where you can cross two albino parents and get both albino and normal fry.

Jennie
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
yes Derrek, Both parents are albinos, thanks Ryan for the info!

DerekFF
03-25-2011, 03:25 AM
well the male is run of the mill LFS male and the female was from an importer in georgia. dont think either has an inkleing of albinism