PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Stendker Discus.

Vicfortier
02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi everyone,
I just received 5 brilliant turquoise juveniles from discus hans yesterday. I have them all acclimated and in my QT tank. I offered them a brine shrimp/ blood worm premade mix from petco and even tried offering them some flake and they are completely uninterested. Im sure this may be usual but was just wondering how long it might take for them to start eating. Also, should i be starting any kind of treatments on these fish? they look to be very healthy, but i want to be as careful as possible as these are my first discus.

moik
02-27-2011, 12:36 PM
That is one of the biggest things in my mind when buying new discus,,will they eat what I give them??? sometime they will take my food readily and sometimes not..Got to give them time to settle,but most quality discus will take food readily..I have bought some large adults in the far past,,they did not eat for a month..A MONTH,,with alot of money invested I started to get nervous..The seller told me they would eat bloodworms first,but that took a month to happen..What the hell is bloodworms for a diet??? I asked for the food recipe and tried it,,made a real mess of water quality.. Will not even consider buying from this person again..I also heard alot of others with the same issues ,so I know it was just not me.. It always best to ask the seller what they are feeding,so you will have a better clue on what they are used too.

Jayhawk
02-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Warm your water up over a few days as well as change water daily this will kick start there appetite. Blood worms are a good stater food.
As Moik says it can take some time, but don't worrie to much they will come around.

Jennie
02-27-2011, 12:53 PM
lol, he feeds beefheart mix..his own recipe..it's tough to convert his over..but stick with it..that said, I'm still sticking with it 2 months later..:)
Hi everyone,
I just received 5 brilliant turquoise juveniles from discus hans yesterday. I have them all acclimated and in my QT tank. I offered them a brine shrimp/ blood worm premade mix from petco and even tried offering them some flake and they are completely uninterested. Im sure this may be usual but was just wondering how long it might take for them to start eating. Also, should i be starting any kind of treatments on these fish? they look to be very healthy, but i want to be as careful as possible as these are my first discus.

moik
02-27-2011, 01:02 PM
you will change more water than ever thought possible with that recipe,,been there done that ..Never again...not the way I will feed and raise discus..Its not beefheart,,beefheart is messy but ,that is far worse..Feed it for a day and then go to your tank and lift the lid and smell the water qualtiy...Trust me you will find out..
lol, he feeds beefheart mix..his own recipe..it's tough to convert his over..but stick with it..that said, I'm still sticking with it 2 months later..:)

roclement
02-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Hans's mix is made with ground beef, not beefheart and yes, it is messy! I fed them to my wilds untill they started taking other foods, and they did!

Don't worry too much, they will come around. I recomend you contact Hans with any questions, he knows his fish best.

Rodrigo

Discus-Hans
02-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I don't know who you are but I didn't ship 5 brilliants, for Saturday delivery??
Every customer who has/get Discus from ME has my phone # if not, it's on the box, so if you've questions, let me know.

you will change more water than ever thought possible with that recipe,,been there done that ..Never again...not the way I will feed and raise discus..Its not beefheart,,beefheart is messy but ,that is far worse..Feed it for a day and then go to your tank and lift the lid and smell the water qualtiy...Trust me you will find out..

If you don't like my recipe don't use it, see my signature, all advice I give....etc.

We had adult Discus not eating for 8 weeks, so your 4 weeks is peanuts lol lol
Sometimes we have them with fry before they eat lol lol It never did hurt any of my Discus,

Hans

Altum Nut
02-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I would have to agree with Rodrigo and contact seller (Hans).
You can take others advise, but that only complicates things. What others feed and how they raise thier Discus may not always work for others. I have never had any issues with feeding B/H-Seafood mix as long as you keep water quality in order.
Hans will offer sound advise and things will work out in the end.

...Ralph

moik
02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Trust me,I tried your mix...It may work in the massive water system you have but for hobbiest is another story..I am talking from experience not speculation..Any living thing that does not eat for 8 weeks ,,something wrong ??? or hibernating???..Especially in a very warm inviroment..Anyone would strongly wonder what is going on if their fish do not eat for 4 weeks let alone 8...I would honestly love to know actually/factually why that is happening..
I don't know who you are but I didn't ship 5 brilliants, for Saturday delivery??
Every customer who has/get Discus from ME has my phone # if not, it's on the box, so if you've questions, let me know.

If you don't like my recipe don't use it, see my signature, all advice I give....etc.

We had adult Discus not eating for 8 weeks, so your 4 weeks is peanuts lol lol
Sometimes we have them with fry before they eat lol lol It never did hurt any of my Discus,

Hans

Vicfortier
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Hans, i got them from Rama, he bought them from you and brought them back down to VA. They are beautiful discus, im just trying to get some info.

Vicfortier
02-27-2011, 01:50 PM
so i should just keep offering them food, possibly bloodworms for now, until they start eating, and not worry to much?

Skip
02-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Hans, i got them from Rama, he bought them from you and brought them back down to VA. They are beautiful discus, im just trying to get some info.

ohhhhhhh..

Skip
02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
so i should just keep offering them food, possibly bloodworms for now, until they start eating, and not worry to much?

just let them settle in.. leave the light out.. you only just got them yesterday..

Discus-Hans
02-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Trust me,I tried your mix...It may work in the massive water system you have but for hobbiest is another story..I am talking from experience not speculation..Any living thing that does not eat for 8 weeks ,,something wrong ??? or hibernating???..Especially in a very warm inviroment..Anyone would strongly wonder what is going on if their fish do not eat for 4 weeks let alone 8...I would honestly love to know actually/factually why that is happening..

So do I, if you find something out let me know. Some Discus will do this and 8 weeks is of course the extreme. Would be nice to find out,

Hans

Discus-Hans
02-27-2011, 02:00 PM

They are just 12 hours+ in your tank, give them some time,

Hans

moon_knight1971
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I got 5 beautiful discus from Kenny a week and a half ago and the nicest and biggest one, a 4.5 inch Golden Crystal did not start eating until yesterday. Temp is at 86-87 and Kenny lives 10 minutes from me so our water is exactly the same. I did 50% daily water changes with aged tap treated with SAFE and fed them a variety of food at least 6 times a day which included several types of flake, beefheart, discus granules, freeze dried brine and even the exact same thing Kenny was feeding them, Hikari frozen blood worms. The other 4 ate aggressively but that sucker just wouldn't eat! It never showed any signs of illness as it retained awesome color, gill function looked good and no damage to any of its fins. It still isn't as agressive as the others but at least I see it nibbling on the beefheart or other foods periodically now. What's hella funny is the damn fish STOPS eating when it notices me watching it lol. What a character!

uberdave
02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
That is one of the biggest things in my mind when buying new discus,,will they eat what I give them??? sometime they will take my food readily and sometimes not..Got to give them time to settle,but most quality discus will take food readily..I have bought some large adults in the far past,,they did not eat for a month..A MONTH,,with alot of money invested I started to get nervous..The seller told me they would eat bloodworms first,but that took a month to happen..What the hell is bloodworms for a diet??? I asked for the food recipe and tried it,,made a real mess of water quality.. Will not even consider buying from this person again..I also heard alot of others with the same issues ,so I know it was just not me.. It always best to ask the seller what they are feeding,so you will have a better clue on what they are used too.

umm i think a lot of LFS and even sponsors here feed frozen blood worms. It is a pretty common food for discus.

snowflake311
02-28-2011, 02:45 AM
I got my 3 discus from Hans on wedensday (Thanks Hans) they are 2.5". They did not eat the first day. The second day they picked at the new food that was frozen bloodworms. By that night they eat a little bit not much. 3rd day I gave them some beefheart mix. They went Crazy for it. Now they are little pigs and give everything a taste. It looks like they have already grown a bit :) .

Just give them time. Crongrats on the new fish.

Jennie
02-28-2011, 09:09 AM
thanx moik, do massive changes daily already..no prbs with water quality here

Jennie
02-28-2011, 09:10 AM
go with Al's FDBW, way better than Bld wrms

Vicfortier
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I contacted the guy I got the discus from dirrectly, he was very helpful and said a lot of things similar to what you all have been saying. the discus have eatten a little now, but still won't touch the food if I'm in sight. Lol. Guess they think I'm ugly. Thanks again everyone.

snowflake311
03-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Haha they will not eat in front of you. Give them time and try hand feeding then they will do anything for you.

plark
03-02-2011, 01:58 PM
pretty soon they will put you and food together and will eat from you hand. Trust me discus are fattys once they get settled in.

Skip
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
pretty soon they will put you and food together and will eat from you hand. Trust me discus are fattys once they get settled in.

UNITL THEY START TO BITE!

YSS
03-02-2011, 02:44 PM

I have been using Hans' mix for quite sometime now, but haven't had any issues with smell. When you say water quality, what do you mean by it? As long as the fish eat all the food, how would this be any different than other messy food mix others make?

moon_knight1971
03-02-2011, 04:54 PM
UNITL THEY START TO BITE!

Hahaha!

RudeDogg1
03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
mine sulked for days befor eating properly and not infront of me. now they eat out my hand, bite me and eat out in the open