PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump As Worm Delivery System

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
April suggested a change of venue so what do you guys think about using your sump pump to deliver FDBW to your fishes. I actually tried and the wilds got most of the worms. Caught the ones that made it to the surface with a net and send them back through.

Ardan
02-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Interesting. Are you sucking them up with the pump? or how are you doing it? I put the FDBW in the tank after draining for wc and then while filling it washes them down into the water column.
How are you exactly doing it?

Thanks
Ardan

TURQ64
02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
My sump is part of a cenral system that combines multiple tanks, so it's a homeland security issue if anything gets near my pump intake. I have a small herd of Chihuahua's that guard the pump itself. so, for anal fear of anything decaying in the water lines, I'd pass on doin' it..But for a single tank setup, it's a novel idea...

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey Ardan, I soak the worms for a few mins in RO water and place the worms into the input side of the sump pump. I do use tweezers to precisely place the worms and ensure they go into the pump vs into the sump water.

TURQ64, I would definitely be careful around those Chihuahuas, those guys like to nip. But I found if you get a belly rub in they are all yours. I am not to concerned about getting stuck in the water lines with flow but something I should consider.

TURQ64
02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Yep, they're piranha's with short legs; but a blessing to watch (they just turned 3 mos.) We've still got four from the litter plus the mom..I just don't want anything that could hang up in a fitting and turn to bacteria....

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2011, 06:46 PM
My daughter has two Chihuahua/poodle mixes which are quite strange looking, sort of like gremlins. But man those pups like belly rubs. Helps to get them to submit (vet and groomer) which is hard for little dogs to do sometimes.

Ardan
02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Thank you for the info:thumbsup:
It really is interesting to me to see the different ways people have of doing things and how they work. :)

Thanks again
Ardan

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
NP Ardan

Jhhnn
02-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Chihuahuas? Bah. Pomeranians! They think they're Chows- fearless little beasties they are.

I don't own any, I just remember that the only dog that ever bit me was a Pomeranian, protecting his turf. If he'd have been bigger, I might have actually been hurt.

I pre-soak FDBW in some little cups intended for sauces, which avoids floaters. My discus don't like floating food, and as well fed as they are they just ignore the little floaty bits, which I siphon off when doing water changes...

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I had a friend who had four min pins. Those little suckers nipped my heels everytime I went for a visit. They knew I didn't LIKE them one bit.

Jhhnn, do you have a predrilled tank with a sump? I use the little sauce cups too. multitude of uses.

Jhhnn
02-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I had a friend who had four min pins. Those little suckers nipped my heels everytime I went for a visit. They knew I didn't LIKE them one bit.

Jhhnn, do you have a predrilled tank with a sump? I use the little sauce cups too. multitude of uses.

One of my 75's is an ancient Oceanic reef system w/ sponge prefilter in the overflow box. Works great, once I reworked it. One of those used tank deals I probably should have passed on... but it's now a great tank- 3/8" sides & 5/8" bottom, very stout if not terribly beautiful.