PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peak - The 190g!!

jcardona1
02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
This is all you get for now :D Should be ready in a few weeks.

Stand, front shot, and back shot. Back shot shows the Beananimal drain pipes with DIY horizontal overflow, and two returns on the opposite side.

Enjoy :)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=589664&thumb=1&d=1298925857 (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=589664&d=1298925857)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=589665&thumb=1&d=1298925857 (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=589665&d=1298925857)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=589666&thumb=1&d=1298925857 (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=589666&d=1298925857)

roclement
02-28-2011, 05:28 PM
YEAH!!! That's what I am talking about it baby! Love what you did with the overflow!

Rodrigo

Chad Hughes
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
That's some serious plumbing! Thanks for the peek! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inmisawa
02-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Impressive! I especially like the doors on the side.

Altum Nut
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Very interesting...this is going to be a good project thread for sure.
I didn't like to look at the second pic of the tank sitting on the two dollies. With no center brace, that's quite the stress on the bottom glass pane.
Good to see tank on the stand afterwards. It's bad enough I'm streesed at work everyday.

...Ralph

jball1125
02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Man that is some great work! Keep us updated!

Second Hand Pat
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Jose, love the way you did the overflow...teeth are only on the side of the overflow box?? I don't like the bottom glass supporting the weight of the tank either. Hate to see you compromise your new tank...very jealous here. Killer tank.

jcardona1
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks folks, and good looking out on the dollies. I didn't even think about the bottom pane when I had them on there. Next time they will go on the corners for sure :)

And Pat, the overflow box has no teeth. The water will simply glide over the glass lip, which is why I used the intake strainers on the elbows. I made this overflow box after seeing ideas for the "Calflow" or 'coast-to-coast' overflow box that reefers use. This is just a smaller version of it :)

Joker43
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Just a thought but do you think a strainer basket setting in your overflow (like a swimming pool) would be easier to clean out?.
That's if you have a bunch of plants going in the tank....lol. I know my HOB intake collects a mess of plant leaves from the fish picking.
I wish I had the skills to make such a nice setup. Thanks for sharing...
Tito:jester:

jcardona1
02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Just a thought but do you think a strainer basket setting in your overflow (like a swimming pool) would be easier to clean out?.
That's if you have a bunch of plants going in the tank....lol. I know my HOB intake collects a mess of plant leaves from the fish picking.
I wish I had the skills to make such a nice setup. Thanks for sharing...

Yeah, typically speaking the larger the surface area of the strainer, the less cleaning you'll have to do. If this was going to be a planted tank I'm sure that would benefit me. But this will be a biotope-ish layout, so just a few pieces of wood :)

scottthomas
02-28-2011, 07:58 PM
You do like some big tanks! Thats a beast. Ipressive plumbing job jcard

Doc_Polit
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Nice tank and stand.

Adding the slimline background to your overflow box was an awesome idea. Great way to hide it.

bonsai dave
03-01-2011, 03:37 AM
looking great . can't wait to see it completed.

Herbicidal
03-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Subscribed! :thumbsup:

vinny molloy
03-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Great way of hiding all the pipe work look forward to more on your biotope.

ExReefer
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Very nice! I remember your 57G rimless. You inspired me to get one.

jcardona1
03-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys! Here's a video of a test run. Shows you how awesome and quiet the Beananimal overflows are! This is with one 1000gph pump, second pump to be added later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve9sxd4tlf8

Joker43
03-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Very quiet...

eco-mod
03-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice setup, should be a pretty sweet setup.

Stussi613
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I love the plumbing, very clean professional looking job. My tank is drilled in the bottom corners and I used municipal grade connections but it looks Mickey mouse compared to yours.

roybo
03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Very nice. Clean plumbing!

jcardona1
03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Soaking the wood :)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=593296&d=1299692169

Second Hand Pat
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Jose, where is this tank going to end up? Hopefully not the garage :mad:.

Nice wood, lots of possibilities for scaping.

lazlopes
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Will be another Jcardona Masterpiece :)

jcardona1
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Jose, where is this tank going to end up? Hopefully not the garage :mad:.

Nice wood, lots of possibilities for scaping.

Haha no way Pat! Way too much work on this tank to be in the garage. This will be the focus of my living room. It's just in the garage so I could do all the work w/o having to worry about making a mess indoors :)

Will be another Jcardona Masterpiece :)

Thanks Laz, that's the plan!

atitagain
03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Incredible setup. I have been reading a ton on the overflow systems and once I get my first one right was think about 210G.

Very nice.

Herbicidal
03-13-2011, 02:26 AM
I was able to see his system in person today and it's awesome! VERY quiet! All kinds of safeguards for power failure, clogged pipe(s), etc. It will darn near take care of itself! Nice work my friend! :thumbsup: Gives me something to think about for the future.

jcardona1
03-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Herb! Can't wait to have it done so you could see the final result :)

Another brief update. The DIY light bars and heatsink. LEDs to be soldered up shortly!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=594788&thumb=1&d=1300118866 (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=594788&d=1300118866)

Second Hand Pat
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I was able to see his system in person today and it's awesome! VERY quiet! All kinds of safeguards for power failure, clogged pipe(s), etc. It will darn near take care of itself! Nice work my friend! :thumbsup: Gives me something to think about for the future.

If it could only do auto WCs. Totally awesome Jose. I so want an LED fixture. Might have to put a bug into hubby's ear. ;) Looking forward to the final result.

R1_Ridah
03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Looks awesome Jose...

danidaveyfan
03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
wish I had a tank that big, I would have plans for that!

jcardona1
03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Thank guys!

2wheelsx2
03-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Looking awesome. I saw that pic of your overflow setup in a discussion you had with Tom Barr on plantedtank and thought wow, what a crazy setup! The Youtube video noise levels are also impressive too and should convince anyone that overflows can be quiet.

cfi on the fly
03-16-2011, 10:09 AM
love the look of your stand. what did you skin it with and is that stain or paint. are those cupboard doors? very nice.

ExReefer
03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I would love to hear more about that overflow. I'm considering drilling my 57G rimless planted tank and adding a simple 20 or 29G sump for return pump, bio rock, and heater. This should be cheaper than purchasing two canister filters that you typically see on planted tanks for flow. I had to recently take my 57G down and I'll be setting it back up in a few weeks so it's empty and ready to be drilled!

jcardona1
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Looking awesome. I saw that pic of your overflow setup in a discussion you had with Tom Barr on plantedtank and thought wow, what a crazy setup! The Youtube video noise levels are also impressive too and should convince anyone that overflows can be quiet.

Thanks! Yeah that was a good discussion. Tom is stuck on the wet/dry idea, which I hate. I think he just needs to see it in person. We live a few minutes away from each other, so I'll need to invite him over. I helped him move his new rimless tank in that house, that thing is beautiful! Seeing his 180g rimless in person was awesome!

love the look of your stand. what did you skin it with and is that stain or paint. are those cupboard doors? very nice.

Thanks! It's just paint. I'm not confident enough with my wood working skills to try stain. I made the doors myself :)

I would love to hear more about that overflow. I'm considering drilling my 57G rimless planted tank and adding a simple 20 or 29G sump for return pump, bio rock, and heater. This should be cheaper than purchasing two canister filters that you typically see on planted tanks for flow. I had to recently take my 57G down and I'll be setting it back up in a few weeks so it's empty and ready to be drilled!

DO IT! Such a great setup. My 57g rimless is drilled with a 10g sump, such a nice setup. I really dislike canister filters. On post #17 I posted a video clip so you could see it in action. Here's the Beananimal website: http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll try to help you out!

ExReefer
03-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Jcardona1 - Why not use just 2 drains? One has a ball valve restricting flow enough so the main drain in the overflow is always underwater (not taking any air at all). The second drain is the emergency drain in case anything clogs the other one. As long as the backup drain can easily handle the full flow, I can't see the risk of flooding. You can also put stainer on the main drain to keep fish, plants and snails from clogging. I know this is the herbie method. Just trying to understand why the herbie method isn't good enough. Just a matter of preference? Seems silly to drill three holes when you can just drill two, but I'm new at this.

jcardona1
03-16-2011, 04:32 PM
It's all about safety and repetition with the Beananimal. I'm sure this setup will work with 2 lines, but if you're already drilling two, it's takes another couple minutes and a few bucks more for a 3rd line. And I will tell you, that this 3rd line gets used everytime I restart the pump. When the pumps turns on again, the water level will quickly rise past the two lines and drain down the emergency line. This is because the other 2 lines have downward facing elbows, and they'll trap some air. It takes a minute or two for it to purge the air out. Once the air is purged, the water level goes back down to normal.

With the Herbie, you don't have the downward facing elbows, you have a vertical standpipe. This doesn't trap air, so it lets the water flow down easily. The advantage to having to downward facing elbows is noise. I've noticed my Beananimal is a lot quieter and easier to tune than my Herbie. Hope that helps, let me know if that made sense.

ExReefer
03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Why not install a downward facing elbow on the main drain for the herbie style? It will trap air upon restart and the emergency drain will temporarily takeover until the air is purged. Right? In fact, I would much prefer a downward facing elbow to guaranteed no air can be sucked into the main drain line. This will help with sound and CO2 diffusion on my planted tank.

jcardona1
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
The main drain on my Herbie does have a downward facing elbow, but not the standpipe. In order to be completely silent, the main drain will need to be closed off too much, meaning it won't be able to handle all of the flow from the pump. You'll be using the standpipe for a small amount of spillover. On a vertical standpipe, you can hear this spillover, depending on how much it is. Not a lot, but the noise is there. By having two lines with downward facing elbows, it's completely silent...

greengreen84
03-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Nice over flow I have to admit, but what about the Led's what did you go with? it looks massive and that's gotta be one of the biggest heatsinks I've seen lol

ExReefer
03-17-2011, 11:28 AM
The main drain on my Herbie does have a downward facing elbow, but not the standpipe. In order to be completely silent, the main drain will need to be closed off too much, meaning it won't be able to handle all of the flow from the pump. You'll be using the standpipe for a small amount of spillover. On a vertical standpipe, you can hear this spillover, depending on how much it is. Not a lot, but the noise is there. By having two lines with downward facing elbows, it's completely silent...

I think I understand now. By having two drain lines with downward facing elbows, it adds to the flow capacity and leaves the emergency drain dry. I now see why this method is even more secure. It would be pretty tough (and unlucky) to clog up all three drains at the same time.

ExReefer
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your help. Your tank looks great.

I decided to skip the overflow for my 57G rimless and go with a canister. This will allow me to keep the back glass panel free of obstruction. That's one of the things I like about rimless tanks. I also may run a lower water depth depending on my set up. I don't want the water level to be fixed at this time. Right now I'm thinking of a Iwagumi style tank with large school of same species tetra for my next project. Maybe I'll keep the tank filled to about 75-80% to avoid jumpers and having to screen the top. I'll probably start my foregroup carpet plant emersed until it takes over the substrate. I may go with Blyxa Japonica in the back and HC everywhere else. I'm finding that it's very tough to find Iwagumi rock though.

Sorry to derail your thread.

jcardona1
03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for your help. Your tank looks great.

I decided to skip the overflow for my 57G rimless and go with a canister. This will allow me to keep the back glass panel free of obstruction. That's one of the things I like about rimless tanks. I also may run a lower water depth depending on my set up. I don't want the water level to be fixed at this time. Right now I'm thinking of a Iwagumi style tank with large school of same species tetra for my next project. Maybe I'll keep the tank filled to about 75-80% to avoid jumpers and having to screen the top. I'll probably start my foregroup carpet plant emersed until it takes over the substrate. I may go with Blyxa Japonica in the back and HC everywhere else. I'm finding that it's very tough to find Iwagumi rock though.

Sorry to derail your thread.

No worries, glad I could help. And actually I just saw your pm from yesterday morning. I'm used to getting a pop but this forum doesn't notify me, so I didn't see it, sorry! If you need any more help just let me know :)

jcardona1
03-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Nice over flow I have to admit, but what about the Led's what did you go with? it looks massive and that's gotta be one of the biggest heatsinks I've seen lol

Thanks! The fixture isn't quite finished yet. I'm waiting on my drivers to arrive. I'll be using 24 Cree XP-G LEDs. The heatsink is 7.3" x 36", overkill for only 24 LEDs, but I wanted to be able to space them farther apart since the tank is 30" wide...

ZX10R
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Did you drill those 3 holes in your tank? I have a hang on the back overflow box and I hate the stupid thing. Makes to much noise and in my opinion all it is good for is skimming the surface. I bought bulk heads and a hole saw to drill my tank but then found out my 120 gallon tank is all tempered glass so no drilling for me.

greengreen84
03-18-2011, 08:46 AM
seems like every one does the cree's on the DIY would love to try them one day

jcardona1
03-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Did you drill those 3 holes in your tank? I have a hang on the back overflow box and I hate the stupid thing. Makes to much noise and in my opinion all it is good for is skimming the surface. I bought bulk heads and a hole saw to drill my tank but then found out my 120 gallon tank is all tempered glass so no drilling for me.

Drilled 5 holes actually! A little scary, but once I did the first hole I saw how easy it was. Sucks about the tempered glass, the whole thing is tempered?!?!

ZX10R
03-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Drilled 5 holes actually! A little scary, but once I did the first hole I saw how easy it was. Sucks about the tempered glass, the whole thing is tempered?!?!

That is what the manufacture told me the tank is made by Top Fin. They told me the sides and bottom are all tempered glass. I am surprised your 190 gallon isn't tempered since my 120 is.

jcardona1
03-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Hmm, I know several tanks have the bottom tempered, but you don't see too many tanks these days that are tempered all around. A quick way to check is with a polarized filter (sunglasses or camera lens) and a white LCD screen. Here's how:

http://www.salt-city.org/showthread.php?t=9542

CajunAg
03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
jcardona1, looking forward to the build. After struggling to quiet my drilled tank, I stumbled upon both Herbie and BeanAnimal's overflow methods. While Bean's is quite innovative and clever, it also meant drilling a tank that already had a traditional overflow :( I went with Herbie's method and just ran the return line behind the tank. Now everything is nice a quiet. Anyway, I wish you luck and I'll be excitedly watching for more updates!

jcardona1
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
^ Thanks! Glad the Herbie was able to work for you. I run the Herbie on my 57g, and it works just fine as well.

Another quick update. Started working on the LED fixture last night :)

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/jcardona1/192290_1725519016215_1185586150_1632445_4500289_o. jpg

CORVETTE70
03-29-2011, 02:42 PM
:thumbsup:looking forward to seeing it lit up......

waruna
03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Looking forward to the end product.

jcardona1
04-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Tank is done! For those who were following this thread, here's the new journal :)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?87275-A-monster-journal...My-190g-wild-discus-biotope!&highlight=