PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

ksikole
03-03-2011, 08:20 AM
My Amazon Sword is not doing well. Leaves are curling on the ends and turning yellow on the tips.Water is in excellent condition. Any thoughts?

Foxfire
03-03-2011, 09:38 AM
There could be a number of reasons - not enough light, missing Fe (or a few other trace elements.) If you are sure of the light, measure your iron levels. Others my have better ideas.

ksikole
03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Day light bulb 12-13 hours a day. The substrate is made for plants...I'm using it as a mix with small gravel.. don't remember the name but it is suposed to have all needed trace elements. Looks like small gravel flakes.

Chad Hughes
03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Add CSM+B the iron in this along with the other traces will solve your problem. You can pick it up at www.aquariumfertilzer.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offpath
03-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Day light bulb 12-13 hours a day. The substrate is made for plants...I'm using it as a mix with small gravel.. don't remember the name but it is suposed to have all needed trace elements. Looks like small gravel flakes.

What type of lighting? 12-13 hours is way too long for a planted tank. Most people go for 7-8 hours.

Foxfire
03-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Add CSM+B the iron in this along with the other traces will solve your problem. You can pick it up at www.aquariumfertilzer.com.

Successful plant growth requires both some type of CO2 system and correct micro-nutrients; the CO2 system can be passive - that is, a large soft drink bottle with a sugar/yeast mix and line leading to some type of diffuser. The critical thing is you must have some type of air stone for night use since strong growing plants use O2 at night. Micro-nutrients must be measured - no getting around it unless you are just doing things blind and hope for the best (which works at first but later, plants turn yellow, die and most just don't grow well; by the way, many plants do not take nutrients from the substrate - yours may but having the stuff in the sand is not a good way to feed plants - some will get into the water but that may mean you don't have enough Fe or Ca or ... . I never believe in nor would use the fish poison called liquid ferts (lost far too many fish from that terrible junk.)

My three-point-seven cents.

I agree, way too long on the light - if your wattage is too low, longer periods do more to help algae. Use correct wattage for about 6-8 hours max. Use a super cheap light control timer from Wally mart (ie - have it on in the morning, off most of the afternoon, and on for the evening.)

mathao
03-05-2011, 04:46 PM
no matter what kind of substrate you use sowrd plants need alot of iron, you need to add supplement iron and put like one or two root tabs depending on the size of your plant and you need the correct lighting for the plant system. i find that the tho5 double lights work pretty good for my 55g.