PDA

View Full Version : Homegrown

Keith Perkins
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I shoot almost no pictures and even less videos but before the rest of the 3 month old RT babies are gone and since they were being photogenic last night I decided to grab the camera. Watching it after the fact I should have grabbed the Windex first, but it is what it is. The bigger fish are 8 months old and came from my BD male and BSS female. They're being grown out to see if I can't get a pair out of them or at least another female for the BD male.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGuoTBWYrqE

Jennie
03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
these from a spawn from yours?

Keith Perkins
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Yup, both sets are.

Jennie
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
3 months old and that big?

Keith Perkins
03-03-2011, 12:36 PM
The smaller ones, yes. If I remember right they went free swimming Dec 7. I randomly measured one a couple of weeks ago and it was 2 1/2".

Eddie
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Nice homegrowns Keith, like the young turqs.

Eddie

mmorris
03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
They look great, Keith! Well done!

Keith Perkins
03-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks. Funny Eddie, I thought the crosses would be the ones to draw a specific comment if any did. They are really coloring up like crazy now. They've gotten about 80% of their color in the last month or so and I can't wait to see what they look like 6 months from now.

I'm still wondering if two of them are going to be snakeskins or scorpions. One's obviously a turq and I think the fourth is a blue diamond, still pale though. Opinions on snakeskin vs. scorpion welcome.

Eddie
03-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Are they 14 bar or 9 bar?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Keith Perkins
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Are they 14 bar or 9 bar?

Why don't you ask me what sex they are while you're at, LOL. Their BSS mother's 14 bars are quite faint, the bars on the little ones are somewhere between non-existent to maybe you see one or two at the right angle in the perfect light...or is that my imagination? If I have to give an answer I'd say 14, but for me at least that's a tough call. Maybe I need to add a little tension to their lives so I can see their mode bars better, where are those fish nets. :)

Jennie
03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
what Keith, you don't know? LOL:)

Keith Perkins
03-05-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't feel too bad, while Jay (fishshaped) had them for the week I was in CA he couldn't figure out what they were either. Maybe I should have gotten a connecting flight in Denver so you could have had a shot Jennie.

Second Hand Pat
03-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Keith, nice fry and good size.

Eddie
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Keith, I'm fully lost in the q about the snakes? Are asking about the adults? I thought you were referring to the juveniles.

Keith Perkins
03-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Keith, I'm fully lost in the q about the snakes? Are asking about the adults? I thought you were referring to the juveniles.

I am talking about the juvies, and even Jennie got it so you really are lost, LOL. I was just saying the mother has very faint bars and the children are even lighter, to the point I really can't see them except on the one turq. When I started talking about sexing the "juvies" I was totally spoofing, and trying to compare the impossibility of me being sure on the number of strips being like being able to tell you their sex. Look back at Jennie's response, then with a drink in hand I hope, laugh at yourself a bit. :D

Ps - WARNING: drunk posting.

Eddie
03-06-2011, 01:11 AM
I am talking about the juvies, and even Jennie got it so you really are lost, LOL. I was just saying the mother has very faint bars and the children are even lighter, to the point I really can't see them except on the one turq. When I started talking about sexing the "juvies" I was totally spoofing, and trying to compare the impossibility of me being sure on the number of strips being like being able to tell you their sex. Look back at Jennie's response, then with a drink in hand I hope, laugh at yourself a bit. :D

Ps - WARNING: drunk posting.

LOL, still posting good though! Okay, the juvies all look 9 bar to me. I say you will know for sure in another few weeks/month.

Drink up bud, have one for me! Take care

Eddie

Keith Perkins
03-06-2011, 02:07 AM
LOL, still posting good though! Okay, the juvies all look 9 bar to me. I say you will know for sure in another few weeks/month.

Drink up bud, have one for me! Take care

Eddie

So if you're right, what are the possibilities?

Eddie
03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Blue turqs

Keith Perkins
03-06-2011, 02:16 AM
Could I have gotten two very different types of turqs in the batch? One with very visible bars and others with very light ones? Okay, just checking since we weren't on the same wavelength earlier, you realize I'm asking about the bigger blue ones in the video, right?

Eddie
03-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Sure, I don't see why not.

Keith Perkins
03-06-2011, 02:51 AM
We'll see, I don't think they're turqs. If they are they are the most awesome brilliant turqs ever! :thumbsup: Jack would be proud of them. :)

Melissa
03-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Ohhh Keith! Very nice buddy! You should've sent some of those pretty pups along with that meter a few weeks ago! LOL very nice man!

Jennie
03-06-2011, 08:33 AM
ha funny.. I have over 20 discus and only know the sex of 1!
I don't feel too bad, while Jay (fishshaped) had them for the week I was in CA he couldn't figure out what they were either. Maybe I should have gotten a connecting flight in Denver so you could have had a shot Jennie.

Keith Perkins
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM

I meant he couldn't figure what kind they were, not what gender. :) That little factoid of yours Jennie is still pretty sad though.:cry: I suspect that number will do nothing but rise. :balloon:

Keith Perkins
03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Ohhh Keith! Very nice buddy! You should've sent some of those pretty pups along with that meter a few weeks ago! LOL very nice man!

Gee, and these are the leftovers. You should've seen the nice ones that sold first, LOL. Now that I've got the fishroom set up and extra space it's funny how quickly I decided to finally keep some babies and grow them out. Good thing I didn't have the tank space earlier.

Disgirl
03-06-2011, 02:05 PM

Me too Jennie, I have 12 full grown and only know that one is a male, I think.
Barb