PDA

View Full Version : My half done biotope with mixed discus (juvies)

Sameen
03-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I just got a 140 gallon tank 2 months ago and moved my 6 discus from a smaller tank. And now i decided to create a biotope and half way through it. All the 6 discus were 2 inch now they are 4.5. And i added a wild RSG 2 months ago after getting the new tank. Please rate my tank and suggest any improvements on landscape u want. Sorry for the cheap cam (my saved money to by a new camera was blowed up on discus!). :)65248652476524565246

Chaotica
03-04-2011, 05:22 PM
i d say remove the gravel and put white sand :) it will be a totally different tank after that !!

Sameen
03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
i d say remove the gravel and put white sand :) it will be a totally different tank after that !!

OK BOSS! i am down to it :)

mrbigsby
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
IMO theres really no need to be so realistic with asian strands of discus, i would only go biotype with wilds...However theres no reason why you cant make the tank look GOOOD!!!

sand is a GREAT idea, i would also stockpile all the wood slightly to one side, and tie down your anubius to the wood pieces you want to show most using fishing line, eventually they will hold on themselves and you can remove the wire. While your at it you can also tie on some moss, jave is most common, but there are several types to choose from! for this application i would personally go with fontinalis. the moss is great as it looks awesome but also greedily preys on nitrates! i would also reamove all your rocks bar maybe one or two max for the opposite corner to offset the woodpile a little.

Looking good!

vinny molloy
03-04-2011, 06:59 PM
As said use fine sand and add more wood plus some floating plants.

Sameen
03-05-2011, 01:07 AM
As said use fine sand and add more wood plus some floating plants.

yea bro but i cant find any floating plant n Toronto. I will wait till next summer to get some mailed to me from florida. Thanks

Sameen
03-05-2011, 01:12 AM
IMO theres really no need to be so realistic with asian strands of discus, i would only go biotype with wilds...However theres no reason why you cant make the tank look GOOOD!!!

sand is a GREAT idea, i would also stockpile all the wood slightly to one side, and tie down your anubius to the wood pieces you want to show most using fishing line, eventually they will hold on themselves and you can remove the wire. While your at it you can also tie on some moss, jave is most common, but there are several types to choose from! for this application i would personally go with fontinalis. the moss is great as it looks awesome but also greedily preys on nitrates! i would also reamove all your rocks bar maybe one or two max for the opposite corner to offset the woodpile a little.

Looking good!

Yea bro i am gonna remove the asian ones add more tefe or RSG. I love them. And i believe in a biotope you should only have woods and sand rather than any plant. And what do u mean by nitrate prey? does it compete for nitrate with the filter bed? and what temp should i put my tank at bro? keeping in mind that i have lemon tetra and cardinal tetras?

3dees
03-05-2011, 12:23 PM
if it's to be a biotope then only floating plants and sand. put more wood. I have a ton of wood and my wilds love it. keep the lighting low or you will have algae problems. I also have lemons and they are fine with the discus.

mrbigsby
03-05-2011, 06:31 PM
28celcius

eco-mod
03-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Good start. I also agree with the aforementioned comments about changing to sand, removing rocks(or at least keep them one color), and either add more root structure on the right or shift it all to one side. Keep us updated!

greengreen84
03-13-2011, 07:18 AM
have you got the sand yet if so pictures lol

Sameen
03-15-2011, 06:22 AM
have you got the sand yet if so pictures lol

Actually sand is harder to clean for me. And It sometimes clowd the tank. and i think sand also gets sucked up in vacuum and its also creates poison chamber under stones or anything that is covering it. So i thought I would just add few more white fine gravels instead to brighten it up. But i added a couple of long huge driftwoods that i managed myself. And also changed the background to blue and i dont like blackwater anymore. Clean crystal and full of woods is what i find most attractig.