PDA

View Full Version : Filters

BobB
03-09-2011, 03:19 PM
I am currently using a sponge and canister filte, is it better to use just sponge filters or a combination. The canister seems to bother the discus with its high flow rate plus sucking in the food.

jarret8x
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
I have both running on my tank you can try to aim your spray bar different ways if the current is bothering them

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ericatdallas
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
For the sucking in of food using a pre-filter. I had the same problems and that's what a lot of people here recommended. I've also read that some people just turn off their filter during feedings.

I aim the spray at the aquarium wall... this dissipates some of the energy and forces it into multiple directions so it doesn't disturb the fish as much. Also, you can aim it at the top but that may cause some noise. I've set it to just skim at the top of the water. You can also do it just under the water and it might be okay too.

I would say use both. I use both as well. If you change your water often (like on a daily or twice daily basis) you might be able to get away with just the sponge filter or no filters (depending on frequency, bioload and volume of WC).

jarret8x
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I also spray it at the wall

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dudley Eirich
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I like to use the canister filter. I direct it down the back side of the tank and the current moves all of the poop and other debris down to the end of tank for easy removal. I turn it off for feedings, however. I tried the prefilter, but it cut the flow rate down more than I liked. Because I turn it off for feedings, the filter doesn't get too crudded up. I also clean the canister filter every two weeks. The current doesn't bother the fish too much. If they are directly in front of it, it kind of pushes them around, but they don't seem to mind.

TURQ64
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Most all of my tanks are on a central, wet/ dry set-up.. 75% of them also have HOB w/ bio wheels..All have at least one sponge or more..Yep, I like bio filtration with my water changes!..

ericatdallas
03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh, I also looked into solving the current issue a while back because I'm growing out juveniles... it doesn't seem to bother them but I also considered using the spray bar that Fluval makes. Not sure the make of your filter, but if you have a fluval you can use this: http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_Fluval_Spray_Bar_Kit_p/RHG10235.htm

I don't know how it's setup but it might also work for other canister filters with a little DIY adapter or something similar might be available for other brands. Seems like you could use that and the techniques mentioned.

My discus (and other fish in fact) seem to enjoy the current. When I fill my tank up they like to swim against it (that or they like the fresh water). I've noticed mine like to hang out next to the filter outputs too for both canister and HOB.

Eddie
03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
You can also drill the outlet holes larger to reduce the force.

ericatdallas
03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
You can also drill the outlet holes larger to reduce the force.

That's an excellent idea!

NODAK1979
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh, I also looked into solving the current issue a while back because I'm growing out juveniles... it doesn't seem to bother them but I also considered using the spray bar that Fluval makes. Not sure the make of your filter, but if you have a fluval you can use this: http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_Fluval_Spray_Bar_Kit_p/RHG10235.htm

I don't know how it's setup but it might also work for other canister filters with a little DIY adapter or something similar might be available for other brands. Seems like you could use that and the techniques mentioned.

My discus (and other fish in fact) seem to enjoy the current. When I fill my tank up they like to swim against it (that or they like the fresh water). I've noticed mine like to hang out next to the filter outputs too for both canister and HOB.

I've noticed that too. My discus sometimes go right in front of the spray bar, fins flapping in the current....it's kind of funny.

ericatdallas
03-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I've noticed that too. My discus sometimes go right in front of the spray bar, fins flapping in the current....it's kind of funny.

Maybe it's equivalent to a cool breeze to them.