PDA

View Full Version : Anyone working with German Blue Rams or wild Rams?

brewmaster15
03-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Thinking of starting up a tank or two of rams again... anyone here breeding any? I used to have a great line that I inherited from Kenny Cheung a few years ago..... Lets see some Blue ram pics, either german or wild. I guess you could post those Balloon Rams too, but I have to say those do as much for me as Bulldog discus and glow in the dark zebrafish...which is pretty much Zilch. :)

thanks,
al

Jennie
03-17-2011, 08:19 AM
ask Bill..he has nice rams!

Jennie
03-17-2011, 08:22 AM
AND apisomaster

retiredsailor
03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I think aside from Discus, Rams are my favorites. I can't stand those balloon rams either. Not a fan of the electric blue rams either.

William Palumbo
03-17-2011, 11:33 AM
I would like the electric blue Rams if they had that nice Ram shape. All I have seen seem to be elongated and "skinny" looking. I need to find females for my Rams, as my last female died recently...Bill

Jennie
03-17-2011, 11:39 AM
bummer! not good week for you

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Al, you might check with John (snookn21). Seems like I have seen them listed under his name on aquabid.

TURQ64
03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Also Joe Gargas....

Second Hand Pat
03-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Gary, Joe is over by Tampa? Seen his rams on aquabid. Look nice.

j_li8
03-18-2011, 12:54 AM
I thought about getting some again but space is a premium here. Lost my first pair that i spotted in a tank from a LFS.

Jennie
03-18-2011, 06:14 AM
If anything like the kribensis, end up with babies coming out your ears!

brewmaster15
03-18-2011, 07:35 AM
If anything like the kribensis, end up with babies coming out your ears!

They are not that bad to breed, I've had really good luck with them in the past....Kribs on the hand are as bad as convicts and rabbits! :)

-al

TURQ64
03-18-2011, 08:02 AM
Gary, Joe is over by Tampa? Seen his rams on aquabid. Look nice.
yep, Joe goes way back in Discus breeding...Nice guy...

Jennie
03-18-2011, 08:20 AM
lol..free kribs anyone! I thought to get some rams but don't see real quality around here..and looks as though Bill's sol as well and his are spectacular! Larry had some interesting specimens you would be interested in..I would call him

They are not that bad to breed, I've had really good luck with them in the past....Kribs on the hand are as bad as convicts and rabbits! :)

-al

Skip
03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
jus shot joe an email! :)

Second Hand Pat
03-18-2011, 09:12 AM
So we are having a run on rams now.

aquatic3
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Joe in Tampa is your man...great Cory's, Rams and Cackatoo's Triple Red...hard to find.

Larry Bugg
03-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I was breeding rams. They are my favorite fish after discus. A couple of months ago I made the decision to go discus only in my fish room so I have been selling off my rams along with some angels and apistos I was keeping. I am down to 3 pairs of GBR and I may just put them in my 2 125 wilds tanks. I really believe the trick with rams is finding good quality stock to start with. I will NEVER buy rams in a lfs!! Odds are they won't survive for a extended periond of time, JMO. Joe Gargas has some good quality stock. I had some Gold x EBR's from him. My original stock came from Oddballfish in Tampa. They have excellent rams.

jeepdad
03-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Bugman, what's the lifespan of a healthy Ram? I like them alot too, but they never last long for me, even when my other fish are fine. And I've only bought from LFS. I just always assumed that I had oldies. I've never seen really small ones.

Larry Bugg
03-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Even with good quality stock the lifespan is fairly short, a few years. For me the lfs rams have always been under a year.

Ryan
03-19-2011, 04:00 AM
I'm trying to breed Electric Blues right now. They're a handsome little fish. You have to see them in person to appreciate the color. I've been after high quality golds for quite some time but it's almost impossible to find them.

strawberryblonde
05-18-2011, 09:26 PM
I think I've been extremely fortunate to find a LFS with an owner who is as passionate about fish as I am. He has gorgeous rams in stock and I purchased a pair from him in January. They were already nearly adults and have bred for me several times. I just haven't been in a position to dedicate a tank to them, so the fry end up being discus snacks.

I'll see if I can go get a few decent pics of them. Lately the female has been hanging out near one of the heaters. I think she's tired of laying eggs and wants some peace and quiet. LOL
The male is buddies with my Brilliant Turq and you can see them zipping around together all the time. Well, except for when they've got a clutch of eggs. When there are eggs NO ONE goes near the male. All discus go on high alert and avoid the right hand corner of the tank till they see swimmers. And then it's eatin' time.

Once things settle down around here I'm planning to breed them. My LFS friend and I have an arrangement for any fry and so far all he's getting are rainbows. He's bugging me for rams. LOL

Skip
05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
i like rams..!!!

runner
05-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm going to ask this question here because I don't know how to open a new thread, so I apologize up front.
I have manacapura angels roughly 4-5 months old. How big do they get,coin size ,inches,whatever in conditions that my discus do ok in. Whatshould the PH and DH be for optimum conditions?
Thank you
Jay

jimfur
05-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I just got a box of thirty from Oddball in Tampa, Larry ( Bugman) had told me about them a few months back when I got a breeding pair from him. Still got that pair ( they are nice fish) and I wanted some more. They had a 30pc. box that was just a little more than buying a half dozen so I went full throttle. Figured I would sell some here as soon as they settle in. It was easy dealing with Oddball in Tampa though and the fish all came in great.

Jim

madball59
05-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I just got rams from oddball fish a few weeks and thet are all great looking rams and very healthy. I also have rams from Joe Jorgas which are very nice also and breed quite frequently. Try aquabid also. Always rams on there.

moon_knight1971
05-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Got some great Rams, German Blue and Golden, from Fairy Lake Discus Palace in San Francisco but the owner, Herman, has been saying he will be closing up the store soon (apparently he's been saying that for the last year and a half lol).

Runner, all you have to do is go to the General Discussion Section or whatever section you want to start your thread at and you should see a button near the top that says "+Post New Thread". You'll find lots of people here will say how mixing Angels and Discus can be a bad thing as Angels are infamous for carrying disease and Discus are infamous for being super sensitive to catching things. On the other hand, you'll also get ppl that say they have community tanks where they coexist in harmony. From my experience, Angels nip at the Discus fins alot, are greedy and more agressive as well.

Joey!

FischAutoTechGarten
05-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I purchased a bunch of Rams from Herman at Fairy Lake Discus back in 2003....I brought them on the plane with me back to Upstate NY. He was going to be closing shop very soon then too!!

Maybe I'll get up there again and visit friends in Novato.... but they'd have to endure a 2 day drive down to Sonora Mexico.

For me the Electric Blues, Balloons and Long Fins do nothing either.

Nikkitine
05-23-2011, 11:18 PM
We're all addicted to GBRs and Discus! It seems like Herman has been stating he would close up his shop soon every time I go. And I've been going for the past 3 years =/ Great little shop however, i love his lazy cat! I purchased 2 GBRs from him a month ago and they've been spawning like crazy, I even have some wigglers right now as I type this! But they're in a community tank and I don't have the space to raise the fry, but it's really great to see them super healthy and fertile =)

discusdaddy
05-24-2011, 02:48 AM
got some from Joe Gargas f2 goldXebr very nice.

Vee
05-24-2011, 03:39 AM
In the last 9 months, I bought my german rams and bubble rams from both petco and petsmart in a 46 gallon tank with one Alenquer discus (the bully). None of my german rams have died although some of my Bolivian rams have perished from bad infections and had to be culled. Since I'm still adding fish and plants, I find that this tank suffers from periodic bouts of minor sickness such as flashing, loss of color and appetite for some of the fish even though I practice 2 weeks QT and treat all new plants with PP. I treat with Rid-Ich for every other day for a week and it seems to do the trick.

I really like the bubble rams - they are so cute when they wobble-swim. I'm planning on buying a few more.

FischAutoTechGarten
07-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Bears repeating...and I´ve stated this before on these forums...oh wait...it was probably the simplycichlids forum... ok anyway...

Don't fall into the trap of feeding your Rams black worms. It's tempting..the growth is phenomenol......and then they start bloating...
at some point their digestive track can no longer handle them... and they plug, bloat and die.

FischAutoTechGarten
12-12-2011, 12:01 AM
So, before I left home in Mexico, I purchased a complete 20L (en las tianges, muy barato). Perfect size for dwarf cichlids.

I am in NY at the moment...before I leave, I am considering purchasing some GBR to take back with me home to Mexico.

So, I either need to get them in Albany NY area (where I am staying and where my plane will depart from) or Tucson AZ (where my plane lands and where I get my car out of long term parking and start the drive home to Guaymas).

Anyone have any recommendations for a good source for German Blue Rams in Albany, NY or Tucson, AZ?