PDA

View Full Version : Nitrites "stuck" at .25 ppm for days.... Is Prime necessary at this nitrite level?

Sasha
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
I've experienced a mini-cycle "spike" due to increased bio-load after adding 4 juvies to an empty (but previously cycled) tank. Ammonia is zero, and nitrites were on a rapid decline (from 5.0 ppm to 0.25 over the course of 5 days), but now seem to be stuck at 0.25 ppm for the last 4 days.

I used Prime throughout this process, but prefer to not use it because of its side effect of lowering the oxygen levels in the water at high temps. I am keeping the tank at 86-88 degrees and using some salt to help counter a few spots of ich that I've noticed.

Is it necessary (or advisable) to use Prime when the nitrites are this low? Although I know the nitrites should be zero, I don't know how dangerous/harmful the 0.25 ppm level is.

(I'm doing 35% water changes daily with mix of well water and RO water, PH 7.8, 9 dGH, 7 dKH, 0 ammonia, nitrate under 5 ppm. Penguin 200 BioWheel HOB. Added Eheim SubstratePro to filter 3 days ago.)

Suggestions? Many thanks.

Discus Origins
03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
I wouldnt worry about nitrites too much at that level...salt actually decreases nitrite toxicity so you're already doing the right thing. Step up the water changes to 50% daily and once the bacteria load builds up it should take nitrites to zero.

Sasha
03-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I am sorry i has taken me a few days to post a response to you. I did read your reply as soon as it came in, and it gave me a wonderful gift - peace of mind! So THANK YOU for taking the time to reply and to share your knowledge. I appreciate it. I am learning a lot, and this forum has been incredibly valuable!