PDA

View Full Version : To discus or not to discus!

boog3ee
03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
greetings to all!

First let me say that this forum is such a blessing! It has been a great help in my intensive research into discus in the past month at least!
So, I have a couple of dilemmas: The first is the readiness of my tank to receive discus; I have a 310 liter tank that i have planted and performed a fish in cycle in using 12 tiger barbs and two common plecos plus an already mature and loaded sponge that my LFS owner gave me (he's a friend), it's been over a month and through out there wasnt a trace of ammonia or nitrite and only a tiny trace of nitrate (less than 5). And i have been performing regular 20 - 30% water changes 4 times a week. Now the barbs are going to their own tank and the plecos back to the LFS, do you think the tank is ready to receive the 2 pairs of 5 inch and 1 pair of 4 inch discus that the shop has ordered for me and have arrived?
My second dilemma is the discus themselves, they are a beautiful pair of cobalts, a pair of pigeon bloods and a pair of Turquoise, they just arrived 4 days ago from thailand to Amman Jordan (where i live), they seem to be stressed but the LFS guy says its because of travelling which i believe, but my problem is that im not 100% sure he is taking proper care of them and i have a feeling that i would be able to care for them better as i dont have a huge shop with thousands of other fish to take care for! But at the same time i dont want to get fish that may die on me in the first week!
Sorry for the long post! Im sure you will have some good advice! :-)
Thank you!
Boog3ee

discuspaul
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Sounds like your tank is quite ready to receive those discus. If they are healthy, eating well, and looking good to you - go for it. Your comment about feeling you could look after them better than their existing source, says a lot. Now's the time to give it a shot. Good luck !

Keith Perkins
03-22-2011, 12:23 AM
The tank is certainly ready...I guess I'm surprised you don't have them already. :) All the best with them.

boog3ee
03-22-2011, 12:36 AM
@discuspaul: Thanks for the vote of confidence! :-) but i think i should keep myself in check since i have the tendency to think that i do things better than other people often!

@Cozykeith: I dont have them already because im still not sure they are perfectly healthy, and the LFS guy is promising they would be in a few days, so im giving him the benefit of the doubt despite my doubts. But i wont be able to wait too long, unless they dont get any better or deteriorate!

ericatdallas
03-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't get it from the LFS.. you could buy it cheaper and probably better quality from one of the sponsors. I always regret buying on impulse... I know the feeling of seeing Discus especially after you've been thinking of buying them.

Unless they're high quality and a good price that is ....

Your tank is ready though...

Second Hand Pat
03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
He is in Amman Jordan, hard to say what the discus availability is.

Larry Bugg
03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't get it from the LFS.. you could buy it cheaper and probably better quality from one of the sponsors. I always regret buying on impulse... I know the feeling of seeing Discus especially after you've been thinking of buying them.

Don't think we have any sponsors that ship to Jordan.

ericatdallas
03-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Oh good point. Then yeah, get them...

jaykne
03-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Hey Boog3ee just wanted to say welcome to SimplyDiscus!!! I'm Larry one of the Moderators here on Simply, if you ever have any questions or concerns about the forum please feel free to contact me or any of the other Moderators here!!!

boog3ee
03-22-2011, 07:10 PM

I may be buying them from an LFS, but i chose them from the live stock of a breeder in the far east and he shipped them especially for me, they are not part of what he would normally import to his shop.
Anyway the Cobalts and the Pigeon bloods seem to be doing much better today, but the turquoise pair is dark and sad... So he gave me the choice to buy another pair, a gorgeous red/brown/yellow discus that i looked throughout here and couldnt find any fish exactly like them! Maybe i'll take a picture of them and see if anyone here will recognize them...

boog3ee
03-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Hey Boog3ee just wanted to say welcome to SimplyDiscus!!! I'm Larry one of the Moderators here on Simply, if you ever have any questions or concerns about the forum please feel free to contact me or any of the other Moderators here!!!

Thank you very much jaykne! Its an absolute pleasure to have found this forum! :-)

Disgirl
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus, you will really learn a lot here and make new friends!
Barb

boog3ee
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus, you will really learn a lot here and make new friends!
Barb

Thank you Barb, and im sure i will, and im sure i will! :-)

boog3ee
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
I want to post a couple of photos of the fish but the forum doesnt allow me post a link to photos till i've posted at least 10 times, and i've been going around the site trying to find something to comment about without sounding like an idiot but...

boog3ee
03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
no such...

boog3ee
03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
luck...

boog3ee
03-23-2011, 07:39 PM
so far!

boog3ee
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
so i thought i'ld ruin my own thread rather than anyone else's! Sorry if this is considered cheating, I guess im too excited! ;-)

RodneyL001
03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
I would keep an eye out for those barbs, they sometimes like to pick at fishes fins.

Sorry, I just noticed you said the barbs weren't staying in the tank, didn't see that the first time I read your post.