PDA

View Full Version : Not off to Japan/Off to Iraq

Eddie
03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Well, I'm heading to mainland Japan to support the recovery/relief efforts. A few of my troops are being diverted there after a short deployment and I don't want them going. They've been away from their families and having to do back to back deployments without seeing their children is not my thing. Plus one of the guys is a single parent and he wasn't planning on being moved to mainland for an unknown amount of time. I'm not sure how long I will be there but I know it will be long enough for me to not have my fish anymore. I will be needing to find a home for them soon, all of them. No worries though, there will be time for more when I get to my next location. I'll be on here, if time permits. I hope that it does. I'll keep you'all updated on my departure date.

Eddie

roclement
03-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Stay strong brother!

Rodrigo

Keith Perkins
03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
All the best Eddie.

2075turner
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Take care of yourself Eddie...stay safe!

Cuchulainn
03-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Wishing you and your troops a safe return, Eddie!

Vee
03-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Take care, Eddie.

Eddie
03-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Thanks Peeps! ;)

William Palumbo
03-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Stay safe buddy. Watch out for that radiation! Bigger things in this world than fish. Japan and it's people need the help. You'll have no problems getting more Discus when the time comes . Take care...Bill

Second Hand Pat
03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Take care Eddie and stay safe. I know you will be missed here but relief effort is so important. I have family in Japan and worry about them a lot.

farebox
03-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Well, I'm heading to mainland Japan to support the recovery/relief efforts. A few of my troops are being diverted there after a short deployment and I don't want them going. They've been away from their families and having to do back to back deployments without seeing their children is not my thing. Plus one of the guys is a single parent and he wasn't planning on being moved to mainland for an unknown amount of time. I'm not sure how long I will be there but I know it will be long enough for me to not have my fish anymore. I will be needing to find a home for them soon, all of them. No worries though, there will be time for more when I get to my next location. I'll be on here, if time permits. I hope that it does. I'll keep you'all updated on my departure date.

Eddie

Hey Eddie may God bless you guys, I spent 21 yrs. in the USAF-E7 RET, so I can feel for you my bro, hang in there my fellow discus keeper. In the end all will be good again, just a little bump in the road, nothing a USAF MSGT can't handle.(smiles)
farebox
San Antonio, Tx.

Eddie
03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks everybody! I'm actually looking forword to the deployment. As Bill said, there are bigger things to deal with at the moment. And thanks farebox, being that you've been a member for quite some time and this is your second post, means a lot. Nice to meet a fellow Airman, retired or not, thanks for the service you put in!

Eddie

yim11
03-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I don't care what Nicholson says Eddie, you're OK man.

LOL. Just kidding!

Seriously though - I know this is important to you so you go do what you need to do and when you get back you can do what you want to do. There will always be fish when you want them and by them time you get back to the states you will be hard pressed to pay for a fish ever again!

Take care my brother!

Discus-Hans
03-23-2011, 01:13 AM
Please stay safe my friend, I know the people there need you more than here but we want you back. Stay strong, I'm sure it's not going to be easy there,

Joanne & Hans

Eddie
03-23-2011, 01:27 AM
I don't care what Nicholson says Eddie, you're OK man.

LOL. Just kidding!

Seriously though - I know this is important to you so you go do what you need to do and when you get back you can do what you want to do. There will always be fish when you want them and by them time you get back to the states you will be hard pressed to pay for a fish ever again!

Take care my brother!

Thanks man, I don't care what John says anyways! LOL Just kidding.....don't tell him I said that! :)

Please stay safe my friend, I know the people there need you more than here but we want you back. Stay strong, I'm sure it's not going to be easy there,

Joanne & Hans

Thanks Hans and Joanne! I appreciate it and hope to at least catch up with people on here from time to time.

Eddie

MSD
03-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Good luck Eddie, we will all miss you and support you as best we can. Let us know if you need anything from here.

jarret8x
03-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Take care eddie and stay safe hopefully it all goes smooth for you guys and japan can get back on track as fast as possible

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Elite Aquaria
03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Eddie,

Stay safe and thanks for your efforts. I have a good friend in Tokyo.

Eddie
03-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jennie
03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
what?

Condor
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM
Eddie stay safe man. Thank You for what you are doing.

Adrian

Eddie
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Eddie stay safe man. Thank You for what you are doing.

Adrian

Thanks man, sure will. ;)

Larry Bugg
03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks for your service Eddie!!

Disgirl
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Good luck to you and your men Eddie! We will miss you here and who are you appointing as Discus Doc while you are gone?? Take care and check in with us as you can. More discus for you down the road of course!
Barb

Eddie
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys! There's some great disease folks on here that will do just fine. ;)

Eddie

TURQ64
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
WORK SAFE Matey!......Gary

johnnathan
03-23-2011, 01:14 PM
take care Eddie..

We will miss you while you are away...

rave 2468
03-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Eddie, take care man, and all the best. I hope all works well, and you will be back soon.

Chad Hughes
03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Good luck Eddie!

We've been dumping a ton of Naval support to the area. Funny thing is, anyone that is not alread in mainland Japan (leave/TDY, etc) is not allowed to come back to mainland. We have quite a few folks here in San Diego that are stuck here do to personnel movement stop. They are trying to keep as many people out of the area as possible. It's a nasty situation.

Knowing the airforce..... you'll have it OK. :D

Best wishes!

jball1125
03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Great thing your doing Eddie! Be safe and go make a difference!

inmisawa
03-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Good luck on your TDY Eddie.

saltydog
03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Good luck and stay safe!

Ed13
03-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Take care and good luck buddy!

zimmjeff
03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
remember they need lots of water changes and good food to get better. I think they will be in good hands.

Altum Nut
03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Hey Eddie,

My family and I want to wish you the best of luck. Stay healthy and safe.

...Ralph

wendy9722
03-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Best of luck and stay healthy and safe. I hope you find your fish good homes in the mean time. I'm sure there is a lot of people that are willing to take them off your hands.

God bless ya hun,
Wendy

Scribbles
03-24-2011, 03:04 AM
Safe travels. Stay safe buddy.

Chris

Chad Hughes
03-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I received this picture from the USS PREBLE (DDG-88) yesterday. The photgraph was taken from a US Navy Helicopter delivering aid to the disaster area.

The efforts of the USA in Japan are definately helping and are acknowledged.

Eddie
03-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes everyone, we had a Commander's Call yesterday and the date is still up in the air. Our unit is split at the moment, with half in mainland and other half at an undisclosed location. Our commander mentioned that once operations in mainland get up to par for "big blue" Air Force, our unit will be returning home. My unit is part Air Force Special Operations Command, the first to hit the ground in any contingency. We set-up and make the place ready for the other Air Force components. Once everything is running smooth, we pull out and reconstitute for whatever might come our way next.

I'll keep you all updated, again thanks for thoughts.

Eddie

chaoslite
03-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Eddie,

You had better stay safe and in contact when you can. You set off a panic the last time you told us you would not be around here for a while and you were gone how long was it? lol

Mishka

discuspaul
03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Eddie, Stay safe and come back safe - to wherever and whenever that may be !
Everyone will certainly miss your frequent, most welcome posts, unless of course you find the time, opportunity, and facilities to keep up your great work on SD !
A super fan.
All the best,
Paul

Eddie
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Hold short, I have even worse news! I will keep everyone updated but I just got selected as a NON-Volunteer for a 365 day deployment to the desert.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Hold short, I have even worse news! I will keep everyone updated but I just got selected as a NON-Volunteer for a 365 day deployment to the desert.

Now that just sucks. Are you serious?? :sad:

Jennie
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
WHAT?

hmmm...Iraq V Radiation...

they got discus over there??

William Palumbo
03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
That blows!...a full year...OUCH!...Hoping for the best...Bill

Disgirl
03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh heavens, really true? Not good news but if you do have to go I know you will make the best of it Eddie. Take care,
Barb

roclement
03-24-2011, 10:10 PM
and the news just keep getting better :( ! Good luck dude!

Rodrigo

Eddie
03-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Yeah, thats the military for you! Non-Volunteer too, thats crazy. Appearantly I am going to be an advisor for my career field which sounds pretty cool. There are a few pros and defintely a few cons. I get my choice of base after this deployment, which will be back to Europe for sure. The money will be good, all tax free. The cons are some very bad cons, not being able to see Vera until I am mid way through my tour, not seeing my kids and it will surely nix me going to the NADA show. :( those are some pretty tough cons to deal with.

White Worm
03-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Eddie, I feel for you. I met my wife in 98,we had my daughter in 99 and I was deployed for 4 months every summer until 2004 when I joined the recruiting career field. I was a heavy mechanic from 1992-2004. E-7 now Air Force. Been to some desert spots and its a little nicer for the permanent party folks at least. You get the air conditioning tents, lol. A year though without the family....uh, I think it may be time to retire. I'm at 19.2 years right now. I will go to 24 if the assignment is right next time around. You TACP? First in?

Elite Aquaria
03-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Eddie sorry to hear the news, but thank you for what yo do.

Eddie
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Eddie, I feel for you. I met my wife in 98,we had my daughter in 99 and I was deployed for 4 months every summer until 2004 when I joined the recruiting career field. I was a heavy mechanic from 1992-2004. E-7 now Air Force. Been to some desert spots and its a little nicer for the permanent party folks at least. You get the air conditioning tents, lol. A year though without the family....uh, I think it may be time to retire. I'm at 19.2 years right now. I will go to 24 if the assignment is right next time around. You TACP? First in?

Yeah man, its definitely not a smooth road being in the Air Force. You never know whats gonna come up next! I'm not TACP, just in AFSOC. I'm a heavy mechanic by trade but I've been in QA for almost 3 years now. Its not bad, I can do a year out there for my choice of follow-on. Its funny though, they throw this NON-Volunteer assignment at me and the option to retire is on the back side of the sheet. LOL I can't retire yet, still have many years to go, only been in 14 years. I sew on E-7 on 1 May, been waiting almost a year to sew it on!

Eddie
03-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Eddie sorry to hear the news, but thank you for what yo do.

Thanks Dan!

brewmaster15
03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Hold short, I have even worse news! I will keep everyone updated but I just got selected as a NON-Volunteer for a 365 day deployment to the desert. say WHAT!!!??? you can't catch a break lately Eddie.... when is this going to happen? :(:(:(:(

-al

Altum Nut
03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Think about it this way Eddie.
The sun always shines at the end of the tunnel.
We know your relief mission in Japan would have been beneficial for many but as you said things change without notice with the military. Not your first choice in Iraq but one year goes quick. Will help your future employment opportunity for sure.

...Ralph

White Worm
03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Here you go. This was my home for months in 2002-3.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2011, 10:51 PM

That's depressing.

roclement
03-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey Eddie, we really appreciate what you and others in your position do for us!

Rodrigo

Eddie
03-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Hold short, I have even worse news! I will keep everyone updated but I just got selected as a NON-Volunteer for a 365 day deployment to the desert. say WHAT!!!??? you can't catch a break lately Eddie.... when is this going to happen? :(:(:(:(

-al

Hey Al, they sent me notification this morning via emal! I am scheduled to arrive in August and be gone 365 days. I know there is a short time in-between where I get to take leave but I am pretty sure it can only be taken at the 6 month mark. :(

Eddie
03-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Think about it this way Eddie.
The sun always shines at the end of the tunnel.
We know your relief mission in Japan would have been beneficial for many but as you said things change without notice with the military. Not your first choice in Iraq but one year goes quick. Will help your future employment opportunity for sure.

...Ralph

Yeah, it will go by fast, I generally never leave the gym when I am deployed so I am always occupied. It will definitely boost my opportunities for E-8 selection by a HUGE amount.

Yeah, my tour in 2006 had us all in trailers, split in 2. We had to room with a buddy and if you rolled of your bed, you basically rolled onto his! That small!

That's depressing.

It can be, definitely.

Hey Eddie, we really appreciate what you and others in your position do for us!

Rodrigo

Its all good Rod, anytime.

White Worm
03-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Its funny you say trailers....the officers were living the good life right nest to our tents...

Larry Bugg
03-24-2011, 11:54 PM
it will surely nix me going to the NADA show. :( those are some pretty tough cons to deal with.

Alright enough is enough!!!! Just do I have to talk to about this??????????????

Pardal
03-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Good luck Eddie. We are here working on Operation Tomodachi. but I know that you really are going to make the difference right on the ground.

Discus-n00b
03-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear that Eddie but good luck! I know how you feel!! Hope you get put somewhere at least somewhat nice (can there be a place in that country?) And the bright sides do look bright. I made bank in Iraq as an E-3, I can imagine an E-8 with dependants. ;) And Europe after? I'm jealous! Good luck man, stay in touch. If you need anything out there in the desert let us know!

seanyuki
03-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Be safe Eddie and return home soon......gonna miss u buddy.

inmisawa
03-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Sorry to hear about The Iraq assignment. I know what it's like to be away from you family, I did my remote in Osan from 03-04. Hardly the same circumstances, still hard to live on the other side of the planet.

Well we're just going to have to figure out how to get some fish to you. Perhaps we can pay someone off to fly them in to you!

Keith Perkins
03-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Good grief Eddie, I sure hope we don't decide to invade Antarctica. Seems like keeping you hopping has become the Air Forces new mission.

Eddie
03-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I know I know! This is a bit out of the norm. It rarely happens and I am not sure why it happened. Some people think I was requested, not sure.

I am EXTREMELY not happy about the NADA show, I would give anything to be able to make it. It just won't happen if I go, its impossible. :(

Vee
03-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about the switch to Iraq. Let us know if you or your team need anything when you get there.

Second Hand Pat
03-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Eddie, at this rate you will have your own support team based on SD.

Keith Perkins
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Eddie, at this rate you will have your own support team based on SD.

Seems only fair, don't you think? ;)

I know I know! This is a bit out of the norm. It rarely happens and I am not sure why it happened. Some people think I was requested, not sure.

I am EXTREMELY not happy about the NADA show, I would give anything to be able to make it. It just won't happen if I go, its impossible. :(

Now Eddie, reading your list of cons I'm thinking there's at least a few things you wouldn't give to make it to the show.

Being requested would certainly make sense. If you don't find out soon, maybe you'll know better come E-8 time. Sure hope that's the case for you.

Second Hand Pat
03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Seems only fair, don't you think? ;)

Totally :)

Chad Hughes
03-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, for what it's worth, Iraq is NOTHING like it was back in 2003ish. You'll probably have a nice place to live and a pool. :-) Good luck brother! Keep your powder dry!

discusdaddy
03-25-2011, 12:19 PM
BEST WISHES

Scribbles
03-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Sorry to hear Eddie. Thank you for all that you do. Stay safe.

Chris

Second Hand Pat
03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Well, for what it's worth, Iraq is NOTHING like it was back in 2003ish. You'll probably have a nice place to live and a pool. :-) Good luck brother! Keep your powder dry!

Thanks good to know Chad, I had a nephew who served in the army about 2002 driving a bradley in baghdad. He came home for x-mas and had a laptop with pictures of his infant son intermixed with pictures of dead people. That tour really messed him up.

jaykne
03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey Eddie sorry to hear that my friend, life in the military can be really hard at times! When I was there it was mostly tents really hot and no relief, but just had a friend come home from there and totally different now. Barracks with ac, had things to do like gym a little bar, and most important much more safe!!! I still hate to think of anyone going there though, I will never be the same and have to live with the injuries that could end my life at any time!!! But I am still alive and thank God for everyday he gives me!!!
I am sure you will be fine Eddie and it will go by fast, stay safe my friend!!!
Larry

Discus-n00b
03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I have to say, working with the Air Force over there was nice, they provided us with all the big TVs :D. When I was there in 09 we had "cans", the two man rooms with AC, internet ports, and power. Not like living at home, but its not to bad. I was eating burger king, pizza hut, and cinnabon a few days before I left country in Al Asad. But like I said, if theres anything you need/want over there Eddie that you can't get let me know!

April
03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Sorry to hear. Jack of discus kc was there. He was able to message and post on simply while he was there. He
Spent the time planning a fishroom and ordering supplies and looking at fish pinups instead of girl pinups lol. I'm sure his group thought he lost it drooling over round fish.
Hope you can still post it will help make it go faster.
The thing I'd
Be most afraid of those are those giant Iranian spiders who are able to consume. A man in one sitting!!!
Yikes!
I thought USA is
Meant to pull out of Iraq.

Ed13
03-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Buddy, just stay safe! Ok!?

korbi_doc
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
OMGOSH Eddie, please, just stay safe over there!!! This is another bump in that military life you live, & I pray you will get through it & return to your loved ones SAP....keep in touch...there will be more NADA mtgs for you to attend & the fish will still be there....

Dottie

Eddie
03-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear. Jack of discus kc was there. He was able to message and post on simply while he was there. He
Spent the time planning a fishroom and ordering supplies and looking at fish pinups instead of girl pinups lol. I'm sure his group thought he lost it drooling over round fish.
Hope you can still post it will help make it go faster.
The thing I'd
Be most afraid of those are those giant Iranian spiders who are able to consume. A man in one sitting!!!
Yikes!
I thought USA is
Meant to pull out of Iraq.

Thanks everyone! I'm sure it wont be too rough, as everyone mentioned, things have changed. When I was there in 2006, it wasn't so nice, LOL. Internet in the rooms! Thats what I'm talking about. I will be on here lots if thats the case. Plus I will need to plan for my future endeavors which include some NICE fish, classic types. I would love to catch the NADA show via conference call or on skype!

Yeah April, those spiders are no joke, the Camel Spider. Ran into a few of those when I was there last time. They are generally night stalkers so they would run around at night like rats, FAST. The day before I left, we were packing our bags into a truck right outside our trailer and one ran right under our trailer. We were freaked out! If we had been in the room another night, might have had a rude awakening. I think I will walk around with a tennis racket in the event I need to swat the damn things. Yuck!

The funny thing is, the US military is pulling out of Iraq. Iraq is going to support itself and it seems that I will be there as a technical advisor for aircraft maintenance. As bad as it may be, I am looking forward to it. It will be a great experience and it will definitely impact my career.

TURQ64
03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
GOOD LUCK matey!..just saw this; be sharp!..Gary

Alok
03-25-2011, 09:10 PM
You will be missed Eddie.... I hope the year goes by quickly for you and brings all that you desire.

Eddie
03-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks folks, it should just be like a year long time at camp. LOL We just aint fishing!

saltydog
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Ok so i had to look up the camel spider and i think i just peed my pants. I typically do not mind lizards, most snakes, various bugs but spiders give me the heebie jeebies, and i think those fall in that category! Wow Eddie, yeah be sure to pack that tennis racket!!

But on a serious note, hope your travels are safe and journey is exciting. Like others have said it will be over before you know it.

Eddie
03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
Ok so i had to look up the camel spider and i think i just peed my pants. I typically do not mind lizards, most snakes, various bugs but spiders give me the heebie jeebies, and i think those fall in that category! Wow Eddie, yeah be sure to pack that tennis racket!!

But on a serious note, hope your travels are safe and journey is exciting. Like others have said it will be over before you know it.

These things are made by the devil! They don't have 8 legs, they have 10, and the 2 in front of their FANGS are like arms, not legs. They hold them up as they chase you around! You will definitely have nightmares, for the rest of your life after the first encounter. LOL

lpiasente
03-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Wishing you and your troops a safe return, Eddie!

+1

Eddie
03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks

m.ingram
03-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Good Luck Eddie Stay safe and Thanks

Txredneck
03-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Man Eddie I was just readin this post ( Dangit )
We are goin to miss you at the NADA show
And keep your head down over there in Iraq .
Thanks for what you guys are doin for us over there
Your Buddy
TxRedneck

Eddie
03-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks fellas, appreciate it.

Ed13
03-26-2011, 07:47 AM
I had to do a search on said spider....what?!!!!...do not want!!!

Gonna try this Eddie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZex6cWWCg8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXbwi1XFPXo

Gonna have to repeat myself, stay safe buddy!

Eddie
03-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah, they will devour some hands and feet too!

William Palumbo
03-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Just one more thing to squash out there!...Yuck!...Bill

Eddie
03-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Just one more thing to squash out there!...Yuck!...Bill

Yup, nasty buggers!

Jennie
03-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Oh man, spiders my biggest phobia... creeped out watching vid..

Eddie
03-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Oh man, spiders my biggest phobia... creeped out watching vid..

Lol, they have been mine for some time too. Finally just said f it, what's it gonna do, jump in your face and kill you, no. Well, maybe these camel spiders would. Lol

Second Hand Pat
03-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Lol, they have been mine for some time too. Finally just said f it, what's it gonna do, jump in your face and kill you, no. Well, maybe these camel spiders would. Lol

or eat your nose. Yikes

Eddie
03-26-2011, 08:52 AM
or eat your nose. Yikes

Lips, eyes, ears....the whole shibang! LMAO

Second Hand Pat
03-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Oh boy, live prey.

wadewc
03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Just saw this thread Eddie. I just wanted to say THANK YOU and all the service men for what you do for our country!!

Take care my friend,
Wade

Skip
03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
i too am stumbling on this thread... big thank you for your service, eddie.. hope NADA can still happen! :) be safe on your deployment :)

skip

Discus-Hans
03-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Don't worry Eddie, we will take care of Natalia if you can't make the ACA or NADA.........

Jennie
03-26-2011, 07:08 PM
that's right...she's in GOOOOOOOD hands! heh, heeeeee
Don't worry Eddie, we will take care of Natalia if you can't make the ACA or NADA.........

Second Hand Pat
03-26-2011, 08:11 PM

Yup

Eddie
03-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Lol, alright peeps. Watch those hands! :)

Second Hand Pat
03-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Yea, with those camel spiders.

TankWatcher
03-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Eddie

I haven't been around much lately. You're off to Iraq? Please stay safe. Even though I haven't been here lately, I know how much you have helped everyone and how badly you will be missed.

That must be hard, giving up your discus. I will have to pop into your threads and check out what you've been up to while I've been away.

Edit: BTW, I'm so glad you're still safe after that earthquake. Terrible times lately in so many places

White Worm
03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Eddie,
When I was in Saudi Arabia, we would throw rocks at camel spiders...they were so fast and aware that they would dodge the rocks or catch them and throw them back at us, lol. Seriously, while walking across the street and confronting one, they would block your route on purpose and then chase you.

Eddie
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Eddie

I haven't been around much lately. You're off to Iraq? Please stay safe. Even though I haven't been here lately, I know how much you have helped everyone and how badly you will be missed.

That must be hard, giving up your discus. I will have to pop into your threads and check out what you've been up to while I've been away.

Edit: BTW, I'm so glad you're still safe after that earthquake. Terrible times lately in so many places

Thank you, I appreciate that. Hope all is well.

Eddie,
When I was in Saudi Arabia, we would throw rocks at camel spiders...they were so fast and aware that they would dodge the rocks or catch them and throw them back at us, lol. Seriously, while walking across the street and confronting one, they would block your route on purpose and then chase you.

Its cool man, I've been back in the gym so the rocks might be a bit heavy for the spider to carry. LOL Besides, I hate running so I'll have to get them with the rocks or I'll be caught! ;)

Len
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Eddie, I thought it was drastic that you were going to Iraq in the first place, but the spiders is where I would have to draw the line. When I worked in a pet store through university many moons ago, the spiders were the one thing I would never go near. No food, no water - nothing. The evil little things could shrivel up and die before anyone could ever expect me to do anything for them. They are the one thing that can put the fear of God in me in an instant.

All that aside, I do commend you for what you are doing. It makes me stop and realize that I take for granted the freedoms and liberties I have because others like yourself have made sacrifices for me to have them. Thanks and keep safe. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Len

Eddie
03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Eddie, I thought it was drastic that you were going to Iraq in the first place, but the spiders is where I would have to draw the line. When I worked in a pet store through university many moons ago, the spiders were the one thing I would never go near. No food, no water - nothing. The evil little things could shrivel up and die before anyone could ever expect me to do anything for them. They are the one thing that can put the fear of God in me in an instant.

All that aside, I do commend you for what you are doing. It makes me stop and realize that I take for granted the freedoms and liberties I have because others like yourself have made sacrifices for me to have them. Thanks and keep safe. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Len

Thanks Len! I know what you mean about spiders, they've always been my worst enemy.

Sameen
04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
All the best Eddie. I wish you can ship the fishes to one of the SD members who can take care and breed your fish and get it back to you when you want them in near future.

ericatdallas
04-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Do you know where in Iraq yet or can't say yet? It isn't so bad if you're in BIAP (aside from being away from fam/friends/life-in-general). All-you-can eat buffets, unlimited bottles of RO water, and 24-hour gym at least :)

I would go back in a heartbeat, of course, I probably wouldn't want to do a full 365-day.

Good luck with everything. At least you can go to Europe afterwards.

Eddie
04-07-2011, 02:12 AM
All the best Eddie. I wish you can ship the fishes to one of the SD members who can take care and breed your fish and get it back to you when you want them in near future.

I wish too. :(

Do you know where in Iraq yet or can't say yet? It isn't so bad if you're in BIAP (aside from being away from fam/friends/life-in-general). All-you-can eat buffets, unlimited bottles of RO water, and 24-hour gym at least :)

I would go back in a heartbeat, of course, I probably wouldn't want to do a full 365-day.

Good luck with everything. At least you can go to Europe afterwards.

Nah, not sure yet but I couldn't say anyways. Anytime I was deployed to the desert in the past it was the same, all you can eat/drink, gym 24/7. Its not bad at all, actually looking forward to it.

Jennie
04-07-2011, 06:49 AM
u crack me up Eddie! (all u can eat) priorities

Eddie
04-07-2011, 06:59 AM

You know me, food is something I definitely don't miss out on! Lol

ericatdallas
04-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Hey, if you haven't been there, the food is no joke! Most people have two modes --- get really ripped from the 24/7 gym or really flabby from the food. My favorite is when the KBR subcontractors from India cook Indian dishes. They go all out for Thanksgiving and Christmas too.

Eddie
04-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah, loved the steak and lobster once a week! Ice cream sundaes after every meal. Last time I was there I spent the first months bulking up and then the last ripping up. This time I will be purely ripping up as I've bulked up plenty! Lol

ericatdallas
04-07-2011, 11:00 PM
What about the omelet bar? That had to be my favorite. The only thing I hated was that the meat was always over-cooked on my base, but that was apparently my fault. I did a few surprise inspections and found their temps were 20-30 degrees off regulations. The contractors told me that they were so worried I was going to bust them for food temps (they wouldn't even cook -MY- eggs sunny side up...). Although there might have been some revenge in their decisions.

I went on a cruise and I swear the same guys were cooking my eggs that were cooking them in Iraq. I think it's actually the same set of subcontractors... the food taste almost the same. That either speaks volumes about deployed food or speaks very poorly of Carnival cruises :P

Eddie
04-08-2011, 02:50 AM
What about the omelet bar? That had to be my favorite. The only thing I hated was that the meat was always over-cooked on my base, but that was apparently my fault. I did a few surprise inspections and found their temps were 20-30 degrees off regulations. The contractors told me that they were so worried I was going to bust them for food temps (they wouldn't even cook -MY- eggs sunny side up...). Although there might have been some revenge in their decisions.

I went on a cruise and I swear the same guys were cooking my eggs that were cooking them in Iraq. I think it's actually the same set of subcontractors... the food taste almost the same. That either speaks volumes about deployed food or speaks very poorly of Carnival cruises :P

LOL, thats funny. Every morning I had a half dozen eggs over easy, oatmeal, banana and LOTS of coffee. :) Omelets were good too, but just not enough, I would always have to load hashbrowns and extra cheese on them.

ericatdallas
04-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Half a dozen???

I know the Army is sick of going over there. I arrived for my 6 month deployment to augment an army unit and they were there 6 months before I got there and two months after I left. When I left, they already knew where in Afghanistan they were going.

Fortunately I'm locked out of deploying until I finished training, otherwise I would volunteer to go again... my wife would kill me for leaving her with 3 babies.

The strange thing is I remember thinking the last time I was there, during the first month over there, "WTH am I doing over here and why did I volunteer?" and the last month, "one more month... one more month..." but I have nothing but the fondest memories of being over there.

Skip
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
LOL, thats funny. Every morning I had a half dozen eggs over easy, oatmeal, banana and LOTS of coffee. :) Omelets were good too, but just not enough, I would always have to load hashbrowns and extra cheese on them.

OM NOMMM NOMM NOMMM!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zZHT_alTccg/SihGcrAiYcI/AAAAAAAACMM/Zwby60zzPaQ/s400/nom.jpg

Eddie
04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Brave kittens! Lol

calihawker
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey Eddie, just getting caught back up here. Interesting times eh? My very best wishes to you my friend.

Eddie
04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Hey Eddie, just getting caught back up here. Interesting times eh? My very best wishes to you my friend.

Thanks Steve! Good to see you on the board!

Hope all is well!

Eddie

LKSDiscus
04-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Eddie, thought I drop you a line and wish you the best over in Japan. I use to live in Okinawa back in 77 - 79 with my husband who was station there then. Just felt there was a connection.

Good Luck
Linda

Eddie
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi Eddie, thought I drop you a line and wish you the best over in Japan. I use to live in Okinawa back in 77 - 79 with my husband who was station there then. Just felt there was a connection.

Good Luck
Linda

Thanks Linda, been here for a little over 3 years. Its been a pretty good assignment.

Take care!

Eddie

Discus-n00b
04-13-2011, 11:57 PM
I will second, or third the good food. That was some of the best times there. I worked 12hr shifts during the night so I could go at about 12-1am and get anything I wanted to eat midshift. So I had 3-4 meals a day (Midrats ftw!). Steak and lobster every Wednesday. Baskin Robins ice cream bar, grilled sandwiches, tons of fresh fruit.....ah good times!! Those grilled cheese sandwiches were drenched in butter and grease but soooooo good. I had a good ways to walk to and from work each day so it really offset the meals, I was in the gym a good bit but not all the time and I was really happy with the results. Made the food taste that much better. Then I would go back to work and eat the little cereal cups and otis spunkmeyer muffins.

I was at Al Taqqadum (TQ), but Al Asad wasn't to bad. ;) I'm honestly not sure what bases still even have troops on it anymore. I know my company pretty much closed up shop for most of Al Taqqadum, at least its main ops. Then we went to Al Asad, ate burger king, pizza hut, and cinnabon until we went home LOL. Never went to BIAP, but sent tonsssss of people there every night from TQ.

Eddie
04-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah, seems like all the places are closing shop. I'll be going as an advisor so the mission is to better the Iraqi Air Force in the aircraft maintenance arena. I have a buddy that is where I will be going, he gave me lots of great information! It shouldn't be too bad at all.

ericatdallas
04-15-2011, 12:21 AM
I thought they closed the burger kings? I didn't have a BK where I was at... just a Subway and Pizza Hut.

LOL, people who aren't in the military may get the wrong impression about what's going on over there :P