PDA

View Full Version : First Discus Tank - Help me Along my way.

IslandFish
03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Ok guys I have been reading for a few weeks now and decided to will go discus. I do not like bare bottom so I stopped by my neighborhood pool supply store and picked up 50lbs bag of filtration sand.

Here is my current tank:

75 Gallons Freshwater has been up for almost two months, only thing in there are 11 tetras, I think there in heaven in such a big tank just for them.

Filtration is a emporer 400 and just picked up another hang on filter for additional filtration, will pull out the carbon since I have read that is not good for discus.

Bottom currently has pebbles but after reading so much about these guys holding on to junk and releasing it later and causing havoc I will do a little surgery this week and pull that out and put my filtration sand down and start again. I will make sure to put some filter screens on my filter intakes as to not destory them with my sand.

Have one heater in there right now, planning on picking up two more, one to put in the tank and the other to heat my water when its time for water change.

What else do I need to do, discus area a ways away but want to make sure I am going down the right path.

Also what kinds of other fish can I put in there, expecially guys that can help me keep the sand clean.

THank you.

Skip
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
how thick is the sand layer.. ? i think its supposed to be no more then 1".. to keep down the gas pockets

cory cats should help.. its cool to see a herd of 30+!

IslandFish
03-23-2011, 03:04 PM
I have not put the sand in as yet, if 1" is what its supposed to be I will make it 1"

Skip
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
thats what i have read/heard in here.. you can SEARCH "Pool Sand" in the box in top right corner.. it will bring up all kinds of threads.. that may help.. but i do recall that posted .. i also like the pool sand. .but i went bb .. felt my fish were more important.. but i plan a NON BB tank in the future.. :)

ps.. WELCOME TO SD!!

IslandFish
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
thanks warlock, I went over it time and time again and although the fish are important, the main reason is for enjoyment and looking at these guys swim around. I just cant stand a bare bottom so I went with what I heard was a good choice "Pool Sand" I hope thats the right choice. I dont plan on doing a planted tank, just have a piece of drift wood in there right now and some fake plants.

Skip
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
i spray paint outside back/bottom of my tank.. :)

Northwoods Discus
03-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Sand substrate is Ok it just makes it a little harder to keep clean I think for a show tank the sand is nice and is more enjoyable to look at. It will be best if you go with substrate to start with adult fish. Don't try to grow out fish that way. Get some nice adults from a sponsor and you will have less problems.

Second Hand Pat
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
i spray paint outside back/bottom of my tank.. :)

I bet the next question with be color...LOL. Hi IslandFish. Welcome to simply.

IslandFish
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys, I guess adult fish will have to do. Had a reef tank at one time but sold it when we moved to Georgia. I heard 1/2 inch is best for the sand what do you think.

jimg
03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I put just enough pool filter sand to cover the glass, maybe 1/8" - 1/4". that and you can get some manzanita branches and some driftwood and tie anubias/mosses to it and after awhile the roots climb down the wood and look real nice. i like the planted type sheet backgrounds for the tank you find in lfs

PAR23
03-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Agree with adults for your set up. I assume your tank is cycled.

farebox
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Just went the growing pains like you, and here's what I did about the substrate. Laid down 2-3" Flourite at the rear back left side of the tank to plant sword plants and crypts. Couple of rocks for a border to separate the sand from the flourite, and just laid down 1" pool sand where no planting would be on the right side of tank. Feed discus on the pool sand side of tank. So far so good!
farebox

dbfzurowski
03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
1/2" sand is good. Like mentioned above, corycats are great fish to keep bottom clean. They will also move the sand around. I got green corys, doing very well in high temp tank.

discuspaul
03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
farebox's suggestion is good - or some variation of that, depending on how you want to 'scape' your tank.
If you decide to use sand only, along with some plantings, 1" of sand will not be deep enough for the area(s) where you want to use plants - but you can of course slope it - I would use 2" or so where you will have plantings, down to 1/2" or less at the front &/or any other open water space. Again, if you use sand only, you'll need to use root tab ferts for your plantings, and if you go this route, I estimate you will only need about 30 lbs. of your 50 lb. bag to do a proper job in that 75 gal.
If you don't find suitable (to you, strain or color-wise) adult discus stock, then fish of 4" or more should do fine.
Don't wish to toot my own horn, but you may find it helpful to review my "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus" - 4th Sticky in the Discus for Beginners section.
In particular, you may find the sections on cycling the tank; selecting, acclimatizing, and quarantining your fish; along with tankmates for discus - to be informative and useful.
Welcome to SD and good luck !

IslandFish
03-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks much guys, I think I will go with 1/2 inch of sand just to be sure. Will look into the corys, would like to add some rams as well. Discuspaul, I have read through that sticky several times just to be sure I have everything right. Still have some things to buy like 2 more heaters, but so far so good I will pull out the gravel this week and OFFFF WE GO.

dbfzurowski
03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
make sure you do a big water change after you remove the gravel. It is pretty common to get an ammonia spike after gravel removal.

RWD HERO
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I tried the planted tank with sand bottom route, and it just didn't work out. When i got the Discus they were about 2 1/2" and they would scare very easily. They would dig into the sand to get deeper into the corner if someone would approach the tank. Made a nasty mess of my tank. Ended up re-doing everting and i think it looks a lot better. Now i have a barebottom tank, with a nice piece of drift wood, and 7 terra-cotta pots with peatmoss, and sand with some amazon swords and vas. The glass bottom makes it soooo much easier to clean up all of the beef heart and fish poop.

Bud
03-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Right now Im growing out juvies in a BB 75gal and did the envirotex poolfilter sand thing glued to the underneath of the tank.Im happy with it.fish peck at the darker colored grains too.lol.I didnt want to go BB either BUT like posted much better.And at the rate theyre growing,iyt wont be to long before I can scape the tank anyways.Adults are too pricey for me.I also enjoy watching them grow.No driftwood or plants,just two hydro sponges in tank (and a hob 110),when I walk by theyre either schooling in the back or they fly to the front for food(easy to tell when its time to feed)!

IslandFish
03-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Hmmmmm I may try some of those hydro sponges. How many times do we wash them out "with tank water of course" ?

gsteve
03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
I think the sand will eventually cause yu probs. Mine did. I now have BB.

IslandFish
03-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Ahhhhhhhh Gsteve, ya killing me. What kind of problem did you experience. Need to know, because I HATE BARE BOTTOM TANKS.

IslandFish
03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
What was your depth of the sand you put in. I wasnt planning to go more than 1/2 inch at most. Just so there is something down there.

discuspaul
03-27-2011, 08:20 PM
1/2" of sand should be just fine, if that's what you like. Don't worry about - I've been using PF Sand for a long time and love it - no problems keeping it clean, and growing plants as well.

IslandFish
03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Well the deal is done, broke the entire tank down. Took out all the water and cleaned up all the junk under my rocks. Man I am glad I did that, you dont realize how much stuff is stored under there until you break it down to clean it. Everything went well, I have two heaters in there right now slowly raising the temperature, my tetras are in a bucket at the side with an air tube for much needed oxygen. Also picked up two hydro sponges ("HOW DO I KEEP THESE GUYS FROM FLOATING ALL OVER THE PLACE") they wont stay down no matter what I do. I need a way to weight them down. I really looks nice and bright in there. I will put the tetras back in probably later today after I acclimate them once again. I probably wont get any discus until after April, we will be away for about a week and since I am new to this I reall dont want to leave them for an entire week. So that gives my tank some much needed time to get ready. I would however like to start putting in some tank mates.

What would you guys suggest for tank mates. I would like a lively tank but of course the discus will be the biggest things in there. Let me have the list. Remember this is a 75 gallon tank, hang on filter (emporer 400 ) and two hydro sponges) I dont mind getting these guys in there and have the discuss be last.

TURQ64
03-28-2011, 09:15 AM
squeeze out every speck of air in the sponge, and it should sink just fine I assume you have the weighted base and spacer attached?
As for tankmates, they just compete with the Discus for the food supply. I recommend none for now..

IslandFish
03-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks TURQ64, I did squeezed it under the water and it sank right down, thanks.

Skip
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks TURQ64, I did squeezed it under the water and it sank right down, thanks.

FINALLY :)

moon_knight1971
03-28-2011, 12:11 PM
i would say get a 2nd filter or larger hob as well. I had good success with an emperor 400 on my 55 but I think it's not enough for a 75. Better to have too much filteration than not enough imo...

IslandFish
03-29-2011, 01:19 PM
ok Moon_Knight1971 will look into get another Emperor 400. I am of the same mind that to much filtration is better than not enough. Getting it used is also a great money saver. :)

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z6/Cruzan277/SANY0738.jpg

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z6/Cruzan277/SANY0737.jpg

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 12:23 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z6/Cruzan277/SANY0736.jpg

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 12:23 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z6/Cruzan277/SANY0735.jpg

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z6/Cruzan277/SANY0733.jpg

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z6/Cruzan277/SANY0732.jpg

moon_knight1971
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
looks nice and clean! good luck!

IslandFish
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks, I am planning on taking out the carbon out of the filters (is this a good idea) and put some filter media to build up bacteria load.

IslandFish
04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Ok guys added a uv sterilizer. Going through a brown algae bloom. Test came back great so far Amonia 0, Nitrate 0, Nitrite 0, PH 7. Did a 20% water change and decided to limit lighting periods. Any other suggestions?

Eddie
04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks, I am planning on taking out the carbon out of the filters (is this a good idea) and put some filter media to build up bacteria load.

Here's a nice option for you.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?76945-Turbo-Powered-350-Penguin

Is that a 55 gallon? Are you planning to add adults?

IslandFish
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Hey Eddie that is actually a 75 Gallon