PDA

View Full Version : Laetacara dorsigero...flag cichlids/red breasted acara

brewmaster15
03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi all,
Got a bunch of L. dorsigero from Ryan Smith as juvies a while back..These were f1 from wilds ...Now I have at least one pair of F1's with fry ...Real great looking little fish...but OMG...these guys are aggressive..You should have seen what they did to their tankmates once fry were in the tank. These make discus aggression look like butterfly kisses.:)

I also now have Ryans original wild stock for this species.. I have these in my general community tank currently.

Simply Beautiful cichlids..I really enjoy this species...okay so some pics...again..these are f1 adults with fry..

-al6561165610656096561365612

Discus-n00b
03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Really great fish Al. I remember there was a craze for them not to long ago. They seem to come and go like a trend in the hobby. I love how they darken during breeding.

Condor
03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Those are beauty's, Al.

Adrian

brewmaster15
03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks Guys... I like this shot best....
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65613&d=1301000134

just capture the colors perfect....

-al

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Wow Al, they are nice. Do you have pictures of their non-breeding colors?

brewmaster15
03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I can take some Pat....They are a pretty non-descript fish that in alot ways looks like a larger version of a Krib....but they do change colors a bit with the mood.

-al

Ryan
03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
More grandkids! I'm glad the F1s turned out for you, Al. I didn't end up keeping any for myself.

The entire Laetacara genus is pretty cool. I've had several of the species. L. dorsigera is my favorite so far. They are great community fish and have really pretty breeding dress.

As for non-spawning colors, they are basically miniature acaras -- in a bare bottom tank they wash out as light tan with some yellow and blue spangling and the dark horizontal bar down the middle of the fish.

PS - These are the Mato Grosso variety. The finnage is a bit different and more colorful compared to the other group of dorsigera I had before them.

Second Hand Pat
03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks Al, Kribs are lovely fish.

brewmaster15
03-24-2011, 10:11 PM
More grandkids! I'm glad the F1s turned out for you, Al. I didn't end up keeping any for myself.

The entire Laetacara genus is pretty cool. I've had several of the species. L. dorsigera is my favorite so far. They are great community fish and have really pretty breeding dress.

As for non-spawning colors, they are basically miniature acaras -- in a bare bottom tank they wash out as light tan with some yellow and blue spangling and the dark horizontal bar down the middle of the fish.

PS - These are the Mato Grosso variety. The finnage is a bit different and more colorful compared to the other group of dorsigera I had before them.

Yep Ryan,
Amazing how many grand kids you have living at my house at given point in time! :)
I really do like these little guys alot....I'll have some fun growing this batch of F2s out!. Let me know if you miss the kids enough for a "visit" I'll spring for their ticket. :)

-al