PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Algae Eaters in Planted Discus Tanks

Rlon36dr
03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Just a little pro and con discussion, based on my early experiences, in terms of the algae cleanup crew that is best for planted discus tanks. Please note that I will not include other useful cleanup species, such as MTSs and Cory species, as my focus is primarily on algae. Here are the top species to pair with discus, in a planted tank.

1. Ancistrus - I have yet to see ANY problems keeping them with discus. I keep albino bristlenose plecos, and, once you successfully acclimate them to a densely planted tank, they are easy to keep (I use emerald entree a couple days of week for my discus, and I feed peas once a week). These fish eat soft algae, brown and green. Meaty foods get them to spawn, but, unlike some other algae eaters, I find that they keep eating algae through adulthood. The only negative I have observed is that they can sometimes uproot vertical growing stem plants.

2. Otocinclus - I love these fish. They eat mostly brown algae, but I find that what discus keepers caution you about is actually their strength. That is, they develop a taste for discus slime. Well, I have yet to see one attched to the side of my discus. I have observed, after water changes in which I make a goof in terms of the added water temperature, causing the discus to shed their slime coat, you will see slime and waste (that which was stirred up during the change) combining together, hanging off plants. Otos will clean that right up. Doing weekly tank wipedowns and cleaning your filter does not extinguish the problem of such 'stuff' on the end of your plant leaves. I feed my discus twice a day, with 40-50 percent water changes every 4-6 days. Otos are a must have IMO, along with the ancistrus (you can make a number of arguments after these top two). Otos must be acclimated very carefully, and the tank conditions to which they are initially exposed must be very good. I would recommend that they are the last of the algae eating crew added, in a new tank.

3. Nerite Snails - These would be number one on the list if not for a reason I will discus down below. You do have to add calcium to the water and keep your temperature at the lower end of the discus temperature spectrum (Olives can handle the higher temperatures, however). Olives are the hardiest, followed by zebras, followed by the tiger/ruby. If you use solely RO water, you are going to have problems keeping the shells from eroding. They do, contrary to some opinion, do well with loaches in the tank. I have seen clowns eat them, but it is usually after they are dead (note that I have never kept them with max-sized clown loaches). They eat green spot algae like no other. The real reason that nerites are not rated higher, however, is because of the egg spreading. Forget keeping anubias with them, a great plant to keep with discus, which is a mind blowing dissappointment after you see how well they clean those plants. They subsequently turn around and speckle them (and everything else!), leaving noticeable blemishes if you can even get the eggs off. If you can find a species of fish that is compatible with discus, that will eat ALL of these eggs IMMEDIATELY, you have yourself a solution. MTSs remain the best choice of snail for planted discus tanks, IMO and generally speaking, as they work well under the substrate (alot of people use sand for discus) and can tolerate an eroding shell situation better than other snails. They will not eat green spot algae, though they do often eat brown algae. Purely speaking, however, the nerite snail is the best algae eater I have kept.

4. Siamese Algae Eater - This is perhaps the best algae eating fish because it eats many different types, including thread and brush algae. The problem? Well, in a discus tank, with the type of food that is fed, they become more of a carnivore, get fat and lazy, then neglect their 'keeper-designed' algae eating chores. So, I may not be using them in the future, until I have a brush algae problem that develops. What complicates this matter with discus is that I would prefer to start with all of my complimentary fish before adding discus, so I would be scared to add them even with a brush algae outbreak. They start at the top of this list as juveniles, but they quickly outgrow their usefulness. I have a fat, lazy SAE that reminds me of Puss n Boots in the last Shrek movie.

5. Amano Shrimp - I have never derived the full benefit of these shrimp, which, in my opinion, would be seen when you keep mosses and smaller foreground plants. I have been unable to keep moss at discus temperatures, and dwarf sag has been the most effective foreground plant for me. I love amanos, but in a planted discus tank, you will seldom see them, and they will live off decaying matter in and under driftwood rather than venturing out where the big fish can see them. You will see them when you do water changes, but that's about it. With adult discus, I am sure they become an occasional snack, but I really think you can keep them, to limited benefit, in planted discus tanks long-term. They eat nearly everything, and though they are not as attractive as cherry shrimp, they are much more likely to survive the discus tank.

discuspaul
03-26-2011, 05:57 PM
A very good commentary, with accurate pros & cons - nice work !

PAR23
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I really enjoyed reading this write up. Thank you

snowflake311
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
There are 2 fish that look a lot like the Siamese Algae Eater but are not. You need to make sure you find a true Siamese Algae Eater.

discuspaul
03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
That's true, snowflakes. One is the Flying Fox - and darn, I can't recall what the other one is - perhaps it's a young Chinese Algae Eater, that just looks similar to an SAE.

saltydog
03-26-2011, 11:14 PM
I have three true SAE's and you are exactly right they have quickly outgrown their usefulness! They have at least tripled in size as far as length and girth ;) since i got them. They are huge and fat now feasting off of the food that is fed instead of any algae in the tank. Although i do not have that much of an algae issue with my plants so maybe just maybe they are doing something or things are just good. Either way they are way too aggressive as far as eating now. They are like pigs at slop so they have to go. I think i am going to put them in my indoor pond and see how they fair, wish i could put them in my outdoor pond but they would surely not make it during the cold weather seasons. I would like to kee them as they have great personalities and are neat to watch in a small school.

Anyway great write up!

Rlon36dr
03-27-2011, 01:11 AM
That's true, snowflakes. One is the Flying Fox - and darn, I can't recall what the other one is - perhaps it's a young Chinese Algae Eater, that just looks similar to an SAE.^^^^^^^^

Yes, good point. I forgot to include the advice that you should get SAEs as juveniles, through aquabid, as they are listed as True SAEs in the auctions. If any of you are interested, the guy selling them now has good stock, as I have purchased from him before. Fortunately for me, I had read about the flying fox, SAE, and CAE issues/differences early in my planted tanks adventures.

biotopica
03-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Good post.

What about cherry shrimp?

PS: Sorry, but what is MTS?

TURQ64
03-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Good post.

PS: Sorry, but what is MTS?

In a Discus tank, you can call the shrimp a shrimp dinner!

Len
03-30-2011, 07:58 PM
When my tank was densely planted I kept cherry shrimp and tiger shrimp with no problem. When I ripped it apart to move back in November I ended up giving over a hundred away to friends and still had many more. Once the plants were gone, they did however become dinner. SAE, I didn't like though. Once they grew to 4 inches or so, I found that they were way to distracting because they never stop zooming around the tank. Buggers were near impossible to catch too until I lowered the water to a couple inches.

How quickly do nerite snails multiply? I don't know anything about them, but they do look kinda neat so maybe worth a try.

Offpath
03-30-2011, 08:34 PM
How quickly do nerite snails multiply? I don't know anything about them, but they do look kinda neat so maybe worth a try.

Nerite snails actually need brackish water to breed, though that doesn't stop them from laying obnoxious looking white eggs all over your tank. They do a good job with the algae, though. =)

Rlon36dr
03-31-2011, 09:55 PM
Good post.

PS: Sorry, but what is MTS?^^^^^^^^

Amano Shrimp have a chance with discus, but I think CS are too small and too visible. MTS stands for malaysian trumpet snails.

eco-mod
03-31-2011, 11:56 PM
In regards to bristle nose plecos I do agree they are great tankmates, but do note that if you have lighter colored sand their poo can make quite the speckled eyesore/mess. It even is worse if you have dark driftwoods for them to rasp on. Easily cleaned of course but annoying nonetheless.

penpal
04-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Bristlenose are by far the beat algae cleaner of the ones you listed, Ive kept everything on that list and nothing compares. They're simply too small to make a difference