PDA

View Full Version : Source for buying plants and wood

neon
03-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know good place to buy plants and wood for a 55gallon discus tank? I'm not happy with the LFS selection of plants and wood. Sword plants are my favorite type plant for discus tanks. But willing to buy any plant that does good in a discus temperatures. :confused:

BHarris '10
03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
I recently bought plants from aquariumplants.com and was very satisfied. They have a special selection of plants to choose from specifically for discus tanks. They also have four different types of driftwood to choose from and you can see the picture of the actual piece you are buying. Shipping is always a factor, especially when purchasing driftwood, but for me it was well worth the price. Their customer service is also very good about answering questions.

TURQ64
03-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I recently bought plants from aquariumplants.com and was very satisfied. They have a special selection of plants to choose from specifically for discus tanks. They also have four different types of driftwood to choose from and you can see the picture of the actual piece you are buying. Shipping is always a factor, especially when purchasing driftwood, but for me it was well worth the price. Their customer service is also very good about answering questions.

+1
they are located south of me in Tea,SD..good spot to shop...

Darrell Ward
03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I've ordered nice plants from them as well, but be prepared to thoroughly clean their plants of snail eggs, or you'll never get rid of the little devils. If you like manzanita wood, can't be beat for discus tanks IMO, check out manazantia.com. I once ordered a 30 piece lot from them, and had enough nice pieces to scape a 240 gal., a 150 gal., a 75 gal., and still have pieces left over. I could probably do a 125 gal, or a couple more 75s.

Fishwhispererpam
03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
anyone have any suggestions on plants other than swords?

TURQ64
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Discus and Angels are linearly (sp?) compressed fish; they like anything tall and skinny to blend in with (hence the evolved stripes)

hellspawn4
03-29-2011, 09:38 AM
There are a couple of good people on AquaBid.com that really do have some outstanding plants. I know one for sure and that is Bayleesfishees that is what he deals in the most he also has a web site that you can order from and his shipping prices are pretty far I'd say below the normal... There is another guy that is also on there but he is always at different swaps/auctions so he really doesn't list to often on AquaBid. His name is CoryLoachFreak Hope this helps out some, I do know both of these guys are in Indiana