PDA

View Full Version : All Glass Aquarium Heater with +/- dial - how to set temperature

JPA
03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I have an old All-Glass Aquarium heater (200W) that I am using in a breeder tank that I am setting up. The temperature dial for the heater only has a "+" (on the left side of the dial) and a "-" (on the right side of the dial) for markings; no specific temperature settings. Does anyone know how to set the heater to stay at a certain temperature? I lost the manual and I can't find it online. By turning the dial all the way left on the "+" side I've gotten it around the temperature I want (82 degrees), but have no idea how to make sure it stays there.

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

William Palumbo
03-27-2011, 01:33 PM
You won't have an idea. You'll have to keep in in the tank and watch it for a few days to see if it holds the temp. If not, you'll have to slowly, and a little at a time, turn the dial one way or the other and monitor it. Honestly, my pairs hold a bit more value to me than to try and use an old, questionable heater with them. Is it really worth the risk? Good luck...Bill

JPA
03-27-2011, 04:33 PM
You won't have an idea. You'll have to keep in in the tank and watch it for a few days to see if it holds the temp. If not, you'll have to slowly, and a little at a time, turn the dial one way or the other and monitor it. Honestly, my pairs hold a bit more value to me than to try and use an old, questionable heater with them. Is it really worth the risk? Good luck...Bill

You make a great point. But oddly enough it seems to be keeping a more constant temp right now than the titanium heater in my other tank. With the titanium heater, my temp fluctuates between 80 and 82. The all glass one has been holding at 81.5 to 82. Pretty impressive. I just turned the wheel right until it reached 82 and then turned the wheel to the middle of the dial.

William Palumbo
03-27-2011, 08:18 PM
As long as it holds the temp. I have had great luck in breeding most of my pairs at the 82 degrees...others at 84...Bill