PDA

View Full Version : qt new fish from same supplier?

Vicfortier
03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Howdy! I have had 4 brilliant turqs for about 4 weeks and I went back to the supplier and bought 3 red snakeskins. These fish all came in to my supplier at the same time and he has had the ones I just picked up in qt sense I bought the original 4. I currently have the 3 rss in a qt tank and they look awsome. No sign of illness and eating great. Should I continue with a normal 2 month qt or am I safe considering same supplier and same batch?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Jhhnn
03-27-2011, 08:20 PM
I think it depends on how much confidence you have in your supplier's QT methods. Even with very high confidence, a QT period of several weeks is just the smart move to make. It can't be wrong.

Eddie
03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
I think it depends on how much confidence you have in your supplier's QT methods. Even with very high confidence, a QT period of several weeks is just the smart move to make. It can't be wrong.

Ditto, same supplier isn't always a fail safe as mentioned above. Its always best to take that extra step to prevent from falling back 2 steps.

Vicfortier
03-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Ok, will continue to watch them for several weeks then.

ericatdallas
03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I didn't QT with the same breeder and I lost a couple ouf of the first set of discus to disease within a week. Whether or not it was related <shrug>.

brewmaster15
03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Vic,
Same supplier doesn't mean anything when you get fish as you have no way to know what the supplier brought in between your purchases..or worse still what their supplier brought in.

If you get them from a breeder and they are from the hatchery and you are sure that this seller has not brought anything in (anything means anything...fish or plants not just discus)..then its safer..but still.. always assume new fish are sick fish....and you'll never be taken by surprise.

Hth,
al

Pardal
03-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Just be strong . resist temptation.lol.