PDA

View Full Version : rescape of my 75g Tank

Johny_Dough
03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
He's a pic of the rescape I did this week end on my 75g corner tank.

Discus have been very happy with the change.

Don't mind my runts :-)

http://gallery.me.com/gregcohan/100019/web5/web.jpg?ver=13013452040001

Johny_Dough
03-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Here's one with them all kind of grouped together which they never do...

They are at a wierd angle and it's blury...sorry

http://gallery.me.com/gregcohan/100019/web4/web.jpg?ver=13013452040001

Randy-S
03-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I like it !
Good job corner tanks can be a challenge to aqua scape

strawberryblonde
03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Love the scape! I'm dealing with a corner tank too and I'm green with envy at how gorgeous your plants are.

Mine has only been planted for 4 weeks and I'm still dealing with a lighting issue so every morning I head to the tank and talk gently to the plants...pretty much begging them to grow faster. LOL
Now if only I could talk the fish out of gnoshing on the vals at night I just might have a chance of getting my tank to look like yours.

SB

Johny_Dough
03-30-2011, 12:12 PM
lol thanks... Light the back has been the hardest part.

strawberryblonde
03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
lol thanks... Light the back has been the hardest part.

Exactly! I have no problems with the front and middle of the tank, but the back is dark and murky and that's where I want the tall plants to grow. I'm pretty sure there could be a great white hiding back there and I'd never see it. LOL

angmat
04-20-2011, 07:48 AM
tank looks good, but the discus dont look in very good health esp the blue diamond in the first pic...the stomach looks pinched.

Johny_Dough
04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah... They have been a struggle. The Pearls have always been ok. They have grown from about 4 inches to 6 in in about 4 months now. both the turks and BD's were runted when I impulse bought them.

I have treated for everything. But they never seemed to really settle in. The BD's and Turks are almost always very dark showing very little color.

At this point they all eat like pigs. Daily they get 4 cubes of Blood worms, Tropical flake and Beaf Heart Flake.
They are always out and active. However the Pearls are so dominate that they push the others around agressiviely.
Do 50% WC every other day with aged water.
paramaters the last I checked were
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate 0
PH - 7
KH - 5
GH - 8
Phosphates - 0

I have always struggled with 02 levels with this tank. I think this has to do with the shape and footprint. They flucuate from 100% saturation at night to 30% in the morning. I stop running an air stone at night for fear that the PH swing was to stressfull. It was going from 7.5 in the morning to 6.8 at night.

Next on my list to try is a 50/50 RO mix with the tap water. Also going to add a bunch of Red root floaters to try and create some cover.

But because they eat and are active and show no sign of disease. Not really sure what else I can do. At this point I almost want to just get rid of the 4 runts and start from scratch but I don't have the heart to cull them and not sure who would want 4 runted fish.

strawberryblonde
04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
You'd be surprised who might want your stuntettes!

People who want to keep discus but don't have a lot of space would welcome them since they won't grow anymore and they'd be getting a group of them. I have a friend who collects nothing BUT stunted fish that no one else wants. He has two tanks, a 50 and a 29 and even though the fish are all stunted, the tanks are gorgeous. It makes him happy to know that he saved them from death too.

They also are very good "starter" fish for someone who wants to learn how to keep discus. I'm thinking a teenager or a family with small kids.

Post on craigslist and see what happens, huh?

SB

AMAZING-FISH
04-23-2011, 12:36 PM
the pigeon look nice like that setup