PDA

View Full Version : Planted discus aquarium

dadecountyalan
04-03-2011, 06:57 PM
just wanted to know what you guys think of my old tank as im going to start setting up a display tank for the current juvies i have and im looking for ideas.

this is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHuIRCatL4g

any opinions and advice on the setup would be appreciated. :)

discuspaul
04-03-2011, 08:00 PM
What size tank are you setting up, Alan, and how many juvies are going in ? - All of those shown in your video ?
Couldn't count them.
Just my preference perhaps, but I would think about doing a less "busy" new tank for the discus - you have a lot of fast- moving dithers in the tank video'd.
An elegant, peaceful tank set-up with PFS, some driftwood or manzanita, and a few well-selected plantings would look great imo. There's a very nice set-up elsewhere on the forum. I'll try to find it and point it out to you.
Can't recall the poster.

dadecountyalan
04-03-2011, 08:17 PM
this is a old tank. i have none of those fish with me now. i have 5 juvies growing out in a barebottom 55g at the moment. the tank im setting up is also a 55g just going threw a few different ideas and looks right now before i get started. thats why im asking for ideas.

and what do you mean by pfs

discuspaul
04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Here it is, Alan - right here in this Planted Tank section.
You may already have seen it.
It's titled: "Finally ! My new 80g tank for wilds is ready...." by DiscusBR of Rio de Janeiro. - His first post on page 1. Have a look at the tank on utube.
IMO this will be a super, classic but dramatic looking tank. Why don't you think about something like that. I sure am.

discuspaul
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
this is a old tank. i have none of those fish with me now. i have 5 juvies growing out in a barebottom 55g at the moment. the tank im setting up is also a 55g just going threw a few different ideas and looks right now before i get started. thats why im asking for ideas.

and what do you mean by pfs

Pool filter sand.

discuspaul
04-03-2011, 11:29 PM
BTW Alan - it looks like you had PFS in your old tank - or something like that.
I've been using it for a long time and love it - easy to vac & keep clean, and grows plants nicely with root tabs & other ferts. In case you haven't seen it before, have a look at my discus tank - pics taken a couple of months ago before I added a second strain of discus.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260