PDA

View Full Version : Discus laid eggs on intake filter tube. What do I do?

Corona
04-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I have four discus in a tank and two of them paired off earlier. Today, a few minutes ago, they laid eggs right on the filter intake tube. I didn't pick up something for them to lay there eggs on before this. :(

What should I do? If I do nothing, can I still do regular water changes to the tank, even though it will drop the water level below some of the eggs?

Worst comes to worst, I'll chalk this up as a learning experience and get them something to lay eggs on ASAP.

Corona
04-03-2011, 11:46 PM
I just looked again and they are laying eggs again as I type. How long does this normally last???

mikel
04-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Unless you actually want to go down the "let's try to breed" route, you would just let them lay, then vac up in your next wc. Eggs on the intake valve do not usually make it anywhere beyond the fuzzy stage. My Bd pair did this for so many times I finally relented and gave them a breeding cone. mike

Corona
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll try to find a breeding cone at a couple of the local discus shops in my area.

TURQ64
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Otherwise, bricks, pvc, and slate have hatched out millions of fish....You can order cones from Disgirl in the sponsor section

John_Nicholson
04-04-2011, 11:05 AM
There is a little more to it tham just getting a breeding cone.....chances are you will need a 29 gallon tanks and a sponge filter, take the pair out of your other tank. Hope you have fairly soft water and also hope it is really a pair....

Good luck.

-john

DerekFF
04-04-2011, 02:24 PM
This is all "IF" you want to try breeding them, "IF" they are really a male/female pair. Youre choice, takes a lot of time :-)

boog3ee
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
wait! so this means that theres a chance that even if the pair are laying eggs theres a chance that they are both female?!

TURQ64
04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
That'd be 'true'...You need to observe their 'apparatus' up close to tell the m/f apart....

Corona
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Great info. I think the "pair" is a male and female. I did seem some organ type stuff that usually was not seen on the other discus; but, couldn't for sure tell, if it is a male. I need my reading glasses to see more closely. What seems to be the male is far larger than the other discus in the tank, even though I bought the 4 discus from Kenny Cheung at the same time and around the same size like 3 months ago. It just grew way faster. I did ask Kenny before if a male or female is generally larger, his reply was that the males tend to be larger.