PDA

View Full Version : Question about SPonge Filter

Hsunami
04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I received my order of 2 #5 Ati sponge filters along with a Whisper 60 for my 55 gallon grow out tank. So with the sponge filters does that whisper 60 work with the 2 #5? or is that too weak? or too strong? or just right? Cause doesn't the air pump create some type of suction that draws the water into the sponge filter than out through the top?

Larry Bugg
04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
The air pump pushes air down to the bottom of the sponge filter. As the air travels back up the tube and out the top it creates suction into the sponge. This will pick up very fine particles of junk in the tank and the larger pieces like poop will be left on the bottom of the tank. Two #5's would be adequate on a 55 without a HOB filter. You are going to be doing regular water changes on a grow out tank and really don't need more than this.

Hsunami
04-05-2011, 12:00 PM
yea i know gonna be changing from 50% - 75% water everyday. Well i wasn't going to add in a HOB filter but was going to add a Weak Canister filter. From what i see its really anyways. LOL Where would the best place to add the spray bar so that the poop and what not collects on one side for EZ maintenance (or fish poop suctioning)

Larry Bugg
04-05-2011, 04:19 PM
If you have the sponge filters in the corners of the tank the poop usually collects under them since there is a slight suction effect from them.

daveo
04-05-2011, 04:35 PM
The more air the better the sponge filters work. it's a vacume that sucks the dirt in.
I went up to a 7psi Luft air pump last week, and my water seems cleaner.

Daveo