PDA

View Full Version : Food Question

Sameen
04-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks in advance. I started a shrimp tank of mixed species few months ago and they outnumbered my 40 gallon planted. So i fed few to my discus and sold the rest. Now my question is can i feed my discus the food i bought for my shrimps? The food name is FLUVAL shrimp granuels.
http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/products/Fluval-Shrimp-Granules-1.2-oz..html

There is a full pot of it. I was wondering if the food will cause any chemical change in their body as shrimps need harder water and discus needs softer. If the food was manufactured that way for shrimps, than i am worried. And to be noted that my discus loves this food(pre soaked). And the food is very firm and small in size.

The ingredients and the nutrition fact is below:
Fish Meal, Krill, Corn Meal, Squid Meal, Wheat Flour, Earthworm Meal, Dried Spirulina Algae, Wheat Gluten Meal, Dried Seaweed Meal (Bangiaceae), Dried Yeast, Squid Liver Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Dried Mango, Salmon Oil (Preserved with Ethoxyquin), Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamin A Supplement, Choline Chloride, DL Methionine, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Chitosan, Yeast Extract, Fructooligosaccharide, Ferrous Carbonate, Inositol, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin-5 Phosphate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Folic Acid and Cobalt Carbonate.

Crude Protein 37% min
Crude Fat 5% min
Crude Fiber 4% max
Moisture 8% max
Ash 10% max
Calcium 1.8% min
Phosphorus 1% min
Iodine 0.0065% min
Vitamin A 10,000 IU/lb min
Ascorbic Acid
(Vitamin C) 350 mg/lb min
Vitamin E 50 IU/lb min

seanyuki
04-05-2011, 11:46 PM
No harm trying provided the discus will eat them(never waste) .....my dog eat ON pellets on the floor & she still healthy(never waste)

Discus Origins
04-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Doesn't look to be anything out of the ordinary compared to other 'discus' dried flakes and pellets. I actually like some of the ingredients such as squid meal, earthworm meal, dried seaweed and spirulina. Most of the wierd sounding names on the end are actually essential Vitamin B-complex so sounds like pretty good quality stuff if your fish will eat it.

Mark

Sameen
04-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys! :)

ericatdallas
04-10-2011, 01:13 AM
If they're juvenile discus the protein is kind of low.