PDA

View Full Version : Discus Pics

strawberryblonde
04-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Welp, my other thread must have decided that I'd already added enough pics to it, so I'm starting a new one in order to show everyone my new babies.

That's it for now. Sorry for the lousy quality, photography isn't my thing.
SB

IslandFish
04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Where did you get these?

Skip
04-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Where did you get these?

Hans

ps.. NICE FISH!! i like number 2!!

jarret8x
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Very nice

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Vee
04-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes, where did you get, and could you label the fish as well? I'm new to discus and would like to learn about each variation.

Skip
04-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, where did you get, and could you label the fish as well? I'm new to discus and would like to learn about each variation.

2nd time....

discus hans.. a sd sponsor

Vee
04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
What size did you buy? I'm considering Hans but he doesn't have bucket shots like some of the other sponsors.

strawberryblonde
04-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Warlock is right, I bought them from Discus Hans. He's a sponsor here on SD and has some of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen. And besides, he's dutch, and I'm part dutch and well, you get the picture, right? =)

As for the strains, let's see if I can label them correctly. It's MUCH easier to do when they're all in swimming together in the tank since the patterns are close up to my old eyes.

1) Brilliant Turquoise - this is the heartier one of a pair of them
2) Flachen - my favorite of the domestic discus
3) Red Turk - Hans surprised me with this fish! (He told me on the phone that the fish was hollering "I want to go live with Toni" so he gave in and sent him to me...lol)
4) Brilliant Turk - This is the one who dashed himself against the glass repeatedly last night and I was sure he wasn't going to make it. As of today he's back to swimming around like nothing ever happened
5) Marlboro Red - The one "solid" colored fish I'll own! I fell in love with his orange and red hues and decided to forgive him for not having the typical stress bars and other "wild" type markings
6) Ruh Roh - I forgot to put up a pic of my Red Scribbelt! Will correct that with this post so long as SD lets me add another photo.

http://ourcarolina.com/Red-Scribbelt1.jpg

And I hope someone corrects me if I've mislabeled them. =)
SB

strawberryblonde
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
What size did you buy? I'm considering Hans but he doesn't have bucket shots like some of the other sponsors.

These are all 4" and they are a FULL 4" in size. The flachen is the largest and the Brilliant are the smallest. The variance is less than 1/4 inch!

Vee
04-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks so much. I have alot to consider.

Second Hand Pat
04-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Hans

ps.. NICE FISH!! i like number 2!!

Nice SB, I like the one in the second picture too.

jeepdad
04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
they look great SB. And you did good on the photography part as well.

strawberryblonde
04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks jeepdad, I tried to get a good angle on the tank so that I wouldn't get too many reflections but only managed about 12 decent pics out of 40. Thank goodness for digital cameras, huh? LOL
I felt sorta bad about photographing them so soon after they arrived since they were still showing signs of stress. As of this morning (36 hours in the the tank) they have colored up a lot more though they are still being picky about eating.

So you like Flachen too Pat? I swear I could have a tank with nothing but and be perfectly happy. He's just SO pretty! He's also the boss, but seems like he'll be a benevolent dictator so far.

SB

Second Hand Pat
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
SB, please do post some more pics once these guys have settled so they can be seen in their full glory and yes, from the pictures thus far I do like the Flachen the best.

Larry Bugg
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Flachens are indeed beautiful. Isn't is interesting watching the development. Flachens at your size aren't solid but gradually all the markings go away and you are left with a beautiful solid green. I have a flachen ss female that I love. I need to get Hans to find me a nice flachen male to go with her. The male I had jumped out of the tank before I got it through my thick skull that tops are a must with discus. That is a great group you have there. You just can't go wrong with Stendkers!

strawberryblonde
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Flachens are indeed beautiful. Isn't is interesting watching the development. Flachens at your size aren't solid but gradually all the markings go away and you are left with a beautiful solid green. I have a flachen ss female that I love. I need to get Hans to find me a nice flachen male to go with her. The male I had jumped out of the tank before I got it through my thick skull that tops are a must with discus. That is a great group you have there. You just can't go wrong with Stendkers!

Awwww, how awful to have one do the leap of death! I lost a cory that way a few weeks ago. He managed to fly out of a tiny hole in the lid and my dog snapped him up before I could get across the room. It was only a Cory and I still felt sick over it. I can't imagine losing a discus that way.

Aren't the Stendker's awesome?? I'm looking forward to the changing colors as they grow out a bit more. For now the flachen is showing plenty of markings, but they are quite pale and his background color is a lovely pale green.

SB

strawberryblonde
04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
SB, please do post some more pics once these guys have settled so they can be seen in their full glory and yes, from the pictures thus far I do like the Flachen the best.

More pics...I promise! Just trying hard to leave them alone this morning so hopefully they'll perk up a bit and chow down on some FD blackworms that I was saving for a special treat. Can't wait to get a good pic of the Red Scrib when it's in all it's glory. It's my roundest fish and simply mahhhhhvelous.

jeepdad
04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
thanks to this thread, I asked for pics of Stendker Tefes, but I didn't want to hijack your thread.

strawberryblonde
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM
thanks to this thread, I asked for pics of Stendker Tefes, but I didn't want to hijack your thread.

Oh my gosh...Tefes! My son and his wife are planning to stock a tank with Tefes and Alens as soon as they get to Italy and get settled. They've done reefs, african cichlids, etc, but have never had the time to devote to Discus...till now.

They fell in love with the Alenques and Tefes on Hans website. So you can pretty much count on having a new forum member on here by September.

SB

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
SB, how are your guys doing?

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 01:16 PM
They're doing great Pat. I was hoping to get some nice pics of them this morning but between my active dog and my more active husband they've decided that hiding behind the sword plant is the best option for the time being. (We're doing a ceramic tiling project on the kitchen floor this morning, so lots of moving around and excitement)

Little buggers finally decided yesterday that food was the number one priority so they threw caution to the wind and, with the flachen leading the bunch, they proceeded to eat more in one day than a teenaged boy!
It was good to see their little bellies bulging with food since till now they've been picking at food and only eating when I'm not around. Which required a ton of WC's in order to clean up all the excess food.

Still keeping up with the WC's and have seen a mini-cycle starting. Not a bad one though, thank goodness!

SB

TURQ64
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
SB, How's the snow weather at higher elevations?...Gettin' a prospecting itch, and you're the closest member to my claims....Gary

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
SB, take pics right after you add food to the tank and they are focused on eating. Sounds like they are doing great.

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 02:08 PM
SB, How's the snow weather at higher elevations?...Gettin' a prospecting itch, and you're the closest member to my claims....Gary

Still way too much snow in the northern parts of the state for any good prospecting. Where are your claims? My favorite haunts are smoky quartz and topaz in the Trinity's around here and opal and garnets over in Montana. Thought I've been known to go hunting thundereggs and just about anything else that promises to glitter at me.

There's gold in these here hills! And lots of it,
SB

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
SB, take pics right after you add food to the tank and they are focused on eating. Sounds like they are doing great.

That's still not working for me Pat. They refuse to pig out in front of me and ignore the food when it first goes into the tank. I have to walk out of the room and then sneak back around the corner in order to watch them eating. LOL

They really are doing great though. The flachen has fattened right back up with the scrib coming in a close second. I love watching the pecking order develop!

TURQ64
04-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Our family claims are 17 miles outside of Pierce, headed towards Headquarters...Lotsa garnets there..(we call 'em 'darnits' 'cuz they always plug up the riffles in the sluices..)..All excellent quartz...Starting different tank arrangements now to be able to head that way for dredging season..(July 1-Aug15)...good gold, just tons of packing in equipment..

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok, I went back through my pics and realized I forgot to upload the ones from Thursday morning. These are at the 36 hour point in acclimating to the new tank.

http://ourcarolina.com/1.jpg

http://ourcarolina.com/2.jpg

http://ourcarolina.com/3.jpg

http://ourcarolina.com/5.jpg

http://ourcarolina.com/6.jpg

http://ourcarolina.com/7.jpg

http://ourcarolina.com/8.jpg

Fred the flachen didn't feel like posing that morning, but the scrib, RT and MR more than made up for his reclusive attitude.

SB

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Our family claims are 17 miles outside of Pierce, headed towards Headquarters...Lotsa garnets there..(we call 'em 'darnits' 'cuz they always plug up the riffles in the sluices..)..All excellent quartz...Starting different tank arrangements now to be able to head that way for dredging season..(July 1-Aug15)...good gold, just tons of packing in equipment..

Nice area for gold! Anytime you wanna send me some of those pesky darnits feel free. <insert a huge grin here>

We've found an awesome area around Silver City for picking up quartz. Yep, we trek on into the mountains and grab it from tailings of abandoned mines. (Hubby calls it "low hanging fruit") Every once in awhile we get super lucky and find a chunk of beryl alongside the quartz.

jeepdad
04-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Those little suckers look great! Mine do what yours do, they're still kinda shy and just peck a bit when I'm watching them but when I come back later all the food is gone! What are you feeding them?

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2011, 03:34 PM
SB, like that scrib too. Nice pics. So you are a rock hound too?

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Those little suckers look great! Mine do what yours do, they're still kinda shy and just peck a bit when I'm watching them but when I come back later all the food is gone! What are you feeding them?

...Anything they want at this point! LOL

The first food they gobbled was a frozen spirulina cube that was intended for the vegetarians in the tank. Sooo, that gave me the bright idea of making up some frozen cubes of my own since they were refusing to swim to the surface to feed at that point.

I mixed together FDBW, blackworms, cichlids pellets and a wee bit of the spirulina cube (since they loved that so much) and then soaked it in a small amount of discus vitamins till it was smushy. Then added a tiny bit of dissolved gelatin to that, stuffed it into small ice cube trays, froze and voila. They really love the stuff! If only they'd eat it immediately I'd be even happier. I do have BH and other frozen goodies ordered, but they won't be arriving here till Monday, so for now the homemade stuff is what they get.

The nicest part of the cube method is that I warm it slightly till it feels a bit like jelly on the outside and then stick it to the glass halfway down the side of the tank. They seem to like that spot and readily tear off chunks as opposed to making them swim to the top.

SB

strawberryblonde
04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
SB, like that scrib too. Nice pics. So you are a rock hound too?

Thanks Pat, I think the scrib is just the purtiest lil thing. Though the Marlboro is much more of a showoff for the camera. LOL

I am a rockhound! It's one of the biggest reasons that my husband and I moved out here to Idaho 3 years ago. We're avid hikers and I'm the avid rockhounder, though he does a good job of "helping" me.
One of my greatest joys has been getting my granddaughter hooked on rocks. She lives in Florida like you, and there aren't many places to rockhound, but she finds plenty of good stuff in some of the beach areas and has a keen interest in fossils too. Her project for this summer is to find her first megalodon tooth!

SB

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks Pat, I think the scrib is just the purtiest lil thing. Though the Marlboro is much more of a showoff for the camera. LOL

I am a rockhound! It's one of the biggest reasons that my husband and I moved out here to Idaho 3 years ago. We're avid hikers and I'm the avid rockhounder, though he does a good job of "helping" me.
One of my greatest joys has been getting my granddaughter hooked on rocks. She lives in Florida like you, and there aren't many places to rockhound, but she finds plenty of good stuff in some of the beach areas and has a keen interest in fossils too. Her project for this summer is to find her first megalodon tooth!

SB

I hope she find one. That would be cool. I live on a lake and found a weird looking fossil. Realized later it was a manatee jaw with a few teeth. They have strange looking teeth. Now I can not find it.