PDA

View Full Version : New planted tank

zchauvin
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I recently set up a tank and have planted it quite dense but does in no way look aquascaped in my opinion anyway. I am going to put up picks as soon as possible but would love any ideas or layouts you guys may think of.

29 gallon with large dw in shape of y
1 amazon sword
1 nl java fern
2 bunches rotala
2 bunches ludwigia
1 anubias( not sure what type just not nano)
3 bunches of some plant that looks like ludwigia but is very bright green
flame moss on dw and a piece of stone

discuspaul
04-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Get some pics up first - to show us what it's looking like now, and we'll be much better prepared to give you some meaningful direction.

zchauvin
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Sounds good I should have some up this afternoon, as for the plants I just put them in in no particular way

zchauvin
04-07-2011, 06:55 PM
My tank, I know its not the best so plz help!!!

discuspaul
04-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Forgot to ask you earlier - how are you planning to stock the tank - numbers and types of fish ?
It's not for discus, I hope, as it's too small a tank for anything more than 3, and that's not a good number to keep - (should be 5 -6, or more in 55 gals. or larger), OR you could keep a mated pair, if that's your intent.
As for the scaping of the tank, I have some thoughts & will pass them along once I know what you intend to keep in there.

zchauvin
04-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Forgot to ask you earlier - how are you planning to stock the tank - numbers and types of fish ?
It's not for discus, I hope, as it's too small a tank for anything more than 3, and that's not a good number to keep - (should be 5 -6, or more in 55 gals. or larger), OR you could keep a mated pair, if that's your intent.
As for the scaping of the tank, I have some thoughts & will pass them along once I know what you intend to keep in there.
Well I intended to put a pair yes at first, but that was disagreed upon many members. Also I have 2 gauromis, 1 tetra, and 1 pleco in there now which will be removed exept pleco. The only thing I may put in after I have it just the way I want are some type of tetra and angels/discus. I am kinda afraid to do discus being the water quality they require and with only 4 small fish the gravels get extremely dirty in only 3-4 days.

strawberryblonde
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Are you using blue lighting in the tank or is that just a result of the camera?

zchauvin
04-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Are you using blue lighting in the tank or is that just a result of the camera?

Just bought strip and its a 38 watt white and 38 watt actinic. Just waiting to buy white

discuspaul
04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Your tank is newly set-up - how long ? Is it cycled yet ? Pls. complete the cycling, if it's not, and don't add any more fish until you do. Get yourself a test kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, if you haven't got one yet, and when your tank is fully cycled ("o" ammonia & nitrites, and low level nitrates) you coud then add more fish.
I wouldn't recommend going for discus now, until you have gained some experience with fish-keeping, and maintaining good quality water conditions.
For stocking, you could consider a few Angels, perhaps 6, along with some tetras, and a few other fish that appeal to you - say 20 - max. 25 in total.
I'll try to give you some help with the aquascaping in the following post.

discuspaul
04-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Scaping - try this to see how it appeals to you:
Move the 3 "very bright green bunches that look like Ludwigia" to the left rear corner. Place the Ludwigia in front of that, to the extyreme left side. Turn the DW over on it's side, with the "Y" facing toward the front of the tank, and place it in front of the green plants, with the Ludwigia to the left of the DW. Attach the Anubia to the DW where you think it looks best.
Leave an empty space for now in the middle of the tank.
Place your Rotala in the right rear corner, with the Sword slightly in front of it to the left, and the rock in front of the Rotala on the right hand side. Java Fern where you wish. See how it looks & make some adjustments. In time, get some more plants.
Hope that helps a little - at least to give you a start - and see how you like it - then you can change things around to suit yourself.

zchauvin
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Water has good par and is cycled, it has been up around two months. I will do as you suggest and post pics tomorrow but I'm lost on dw, if you are saying what I think my tank isn't wide enough to put it front to back. Is this what your suggesting or is dw to large??

discuspaul
04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not suggesting the DW is too large, or the tank not wide enough, or otherwise. I'm simply saying that I think it would look better placed on it's side, rather than standing up & down, (to take up the height of the tank). Just lay it flat on the left hand side, with the "Y" facing generally towards the front of the tank, and see how it looks to you. And if you don't like that, change it's position until you get it settled to where it looks comfortable/natural/ and fitting to you.
My point is - take it out of the middle of the tank, and place it on the left side.
It's kind of hard to give advice/ another view like this without being on the scene. Try different positions & work with it till you get a look that's appealing to you.

zchauvin
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Ok I get what your saying I just need things said bluntly lol. I will lay from left rear to front left/middle because its to top of water 18" and tank only 10" wide

discuspaul
04-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Sounds good - try it.
As I said before, place it any which way you think it looks good to you - so long as it's left to right, on the left side of the tank, rather than up & down, & in the middle of the tank.
The bottom line is - it's whatever looks natural & 'fitting' to you. You have to live with it - LOL.

russren
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
A few random thoughts. Thin the rotala out into about three stalks per bunch. Then, trim back as it grow tall to get it to thicken. Your layout generally has small things on the edges, and big in the middle - a bit odd. Go to the library or online and check out some amano tanks for inspiration. There are proven design layout methods that others have perfected. Find one that you like, then emulate it. It will take time to find what plants work, and which do not. One final thought. From the mix of sizes and colors of substrate you have it appears that you did not set the tank up for optimum plant growth. Good growth really does begin with the correct size and composition of substrate. I like to mix laterite in the bottom 1" layer w larger gravel sizes, then cover with 2 -3 inches of smaller. It does take considerable work to find the correct balance for a planted tank. I wouldn't recommend adding fish like discus to a planted tank until you have found that balance, and been successful for at least a few months. Then, when you think you are ready, add some cardinal tetras to see how you do. They come from similar environments and are much cheaper to "test the waters"

Good luck with your planted tank

zchauvin
04-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions I will put everything as said and see what it upload new pics. About the gravel, your right I put two bags of Eco complete but, I had one part of tank with gravel to add looks and then just mixed together. I know it wasn't the best idea and I don't want to redo because I've been messing with plants almost every week and do not want to kill them. Would it be ok to redo whole thing now or should I wait a few weeks??

russren
04-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't know too much about the eco complete. It's probably more an aesthetic thing than if it will grow plants. If you like the look, then plant things where you want and see what happens. If you want to change it, then go for it. There probably aren't that many deep roots. I never had much luck with plants until I hooked up a diy co2 reactor. That combined with enough light and regular water changes will give good results. You will have a few bouts with algae, but you can overcome that.

Find a look you want to copy, put things in place then keep up with the maintenance. The tank will change over time as some things grow, some do not. A planted tank is not immediate gratification, just be patient. I have tried about 20 different plants in my tank. About 6 of those do well for me.

Good luck... then add some discus when you get it worked out.

strawberryblonde
04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I moved my plants around a LOT in the first few weeks before I was happy with the layout and it doesn't seem to have affected them at all. I just left them floating around at the top while I changed/added new substrate and designed and redesigned. I'm still not entirely happy with the layout and will probably change it some more before another month goes by.

I have the Eco complete and it's supposed to have a lot of nutrients in it for plants. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but I can't complain as far as plant growth goes. I'm just not happy with the dark dark look of it. I tried adding onyx sand to it, but it's slowly sliding down into the Eco layer and disappearing. LOL

From an artists perspective, it's all about perspective. Taller things at the back and back sides...shorter things in the front. That creates the illusion of greater depth in the tank (front to back depth). Tall plants look better if you put a couple of them together. Otherwise they look unintentional and out of place. Little bushy plants look lush in the front of the tank and draw the eye in. Oh and in general it's better to set things slightly off center unless you want a true focal point in the center of the tank.

So anyways, keep playing around till you get it just the way you like it. It's all about what feels good to you. You'll know when it's "right" for you! =)

SB

zchauvin
04-08-2011, 11:19 PM
ok.. the tank after all suggestions taken and what I could visualize. Also I added a crypt behind driftwood to fill in rear section, oh and the new eheim filter I setup. Also replaced the sub with 2 bags eco complete. Comments??

Second Hand Pat
04-08-2011, 11:35 PM
ok.. the tank after all suggestions taken and what I could visualize. Also I added a crypt behind driftwood to fill in rear section, oh and the new eheim filter I setup. Also replaced the sub with 2 bags eco complete. Comments??

I like...way better.

zchauvin
04-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I like...way better.

thanks man it took like 3 hours lol the filter was a pain... could never get it primed. I will continue to try and adjust things and add more plants so any advice of what to add or placement is still much welcomed. Im new and have no problem taking critisism, have to start somewheres.

Stussi613
04-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Looks allot better now. One thing I would advise having used Eco-complete in the past...if you do put Discus in this tank stay away from pigeon based fish as they will pepper up quite strongly with that dark substrate.

Second Hand Pat
04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
thanks man it took like 3 hours lol the filter was a pain... could never get it primed. I will continue to try and adjust things and add more plants so any advice of what to add or placement is still much welcomed. Im new and have no problem taking critisism, have to start somewheres.

One thing I have discovered with rearranging your tank is once you feel that you like it. Leave it alone for a while and see if it grows on you. With plants they grow and fill in and a week or two can make a big difference in the way the tank looks.

zchauvin
04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah I'm going to wait a while now and the discus I plan on getting are two red or blue turquoise I believe?? Not sure yet

zchauvin
04-10-2011, 07:33 PM

update of my tank. removed rotala on right because it was constantly losing leaves and took anubius off of rock and put in front of driftwood. I thought the rock kinda threw things off. I also removed painted tetra and gaurami and added 12 neons and 6 cory cats. I plan on putting two more anubius to line front of dw and add some micro sword for ground cover. Any thoughts of what else would look good( background is lacking extremely) and can someone plz tell me why I cannot get ph to go down no matter what. I am using discus buffer and ro/di aged water for wc. I cant get it below 7.6. any ideas??

discuspaul
04-10-2011, 08:54 PM
First thing - why are you trying to lower the pH ? 7.6 is just fine for discus, and yours has apparently been steady at that level - that's good - pls. don't complicate matters by trying to alter it.
Background - Seems you need something lighter, to dramatize and brighten up the tank, the substrate, and your discus when you get them - think about something off-white, cream, or a shade of beige.
Plants - Add 2, 3, or 4 more assorted swords on the right hand side - the rock you had before would look good in front of those swords, on the right side of the tank. Just suggestions - try a couple of things to se what you like - maybe a red plant -like ludwigia - somewhare on the right side also.

zchauvin
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
First thing - why are you trying to lower the pH ? 7.6 is just fine for discus, and yours has apparently been steady at that level - that's good - pls. don't complicate matters by trying to alter it.
Background - Seems you need something lighter, to dramatize and brighten up the tank, the substrate, and your discus when you get them - think about something off-white, cream, or a shade of beige.
Plants - Add 2, 3, or 4 more assorted swords on the right hand side - the rock you had before would look good in front of those swords, on the right side of the tank. Just suggestions - try a couple of things to se what you like - maybe a red plant -like ludwigia - somewhare on the right side also.

Well to start the lfs im getting the two discus from say there water is at 6.5 and that my water must be as close to theres as possible?? Second I have some ludwigia on the left in front of the rotala, maybe I could use different species on right? And also what swords do you suggest? And last I painted the back black, should I just scrape off?? I did this to hide my filter and all wires and wall lol.

discuspaul
04-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Regarding your discus (to come) being acquired from 6.5 pH water - you just need to acclimatize them properly and they'll do just fine @ 7.6 pH in your tank. (Suggest you read my "Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus" - the 'Acclimatizing the Discus' section, in the Discus Beginners panel here on sd.
As for plants - don't know where you get them - but if it's a reasonably good source - they should have a couple of varieties of Ludwigia, and several different varieties of swords (consider dwarf swords) - check them all out & see what you like.
Background - Didn't know your back glass was painted - that makes it somewhat difficult. I wouldn't suggest trying to scrape it all off - that's a lot of work. You might want to consider changing your substrate though - White Silica pool filter sand is great, imo, and it would really brighten up your tank and make the fish and plant colors pop. Also great for discus - easy to keep clean and tidy. Hope this doesn't complicate things for you.

zchauvin
04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh geez haha I wish you would have said this two days ago. I just drained entire tank to take out mixed up gravel and bought the two bags of eco complete you see... Any other alternative? The tank is just spray painted on outside btw.

discuspaul
04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Actually, the black spray paint will do just fine - I prefer black or dark blue myself.
You're using eco-complete as a substrate - ok - I didn't recognize that substrate - well, no problem, you could just add say, one inch of white PFS on top of that, and it would be a great growing medium. Over time though, you'd get some mixing of the coloration, unless you're quite careful with your vacs, etc. Don't jump in though - think about it - have a look at sand, see if you like the effect - I think it may be an acquired taste.
Maybe this will help - have a look:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/FTS-Osaka260

zchauvin
04-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah I kinda like the dark look and think once I fill in the back the greens and reds will take away and cover about 80% of the black background anyways. ntm i have a actinic bulb in my strip as well that i will replace with a white. The white sand looks ok but im afraid after some time as you said the smaller sand particles would mix with larger substrate and this is what i dont want, thus the reason I had to redo all sub because everything mixed. If you could find a few pics of the swords or background plants you think would help I would appreciate it. I will be looking at lfs for them tomorrow and most just say assorted :/ also if I take pics of the two discus I plan on purchases do you think you could grade them for me? I know they have pics of what not to buy but for the price and being a newbie I would hate to make a mistake.

discuspaul
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
I have some other albums of a tank planted with 3 or 4 different swords. I'll see if I can find them & post for you to have a look at. As for your intended discus purchase - sure - get some pics up of those fish before you buy them - I'll be glad to have a look, and try to give you some insight as to their quality/shape. Tell me the strains, if you can, & the sizes/ages they are, if the seller can provide that (accurately).

zchauvin
04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Sounds wonderful man I greatly appreciate it. Im getting some shut eye for work tomorrow now but soon as possible I will take a look at pics from your album and see what I can get a hold of and will update and show you the pics.

discuspaul
04-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Sorry I couldn't find any great pics of different varieties of sword plants in my albums - I was concentrating on the fish. LOL
However, you might get some idea out of a few pics in the next 2 albums, where I was using 3 or 4 different kinds of swords. But there is a much wider variety - perhaps your supplier has some.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/flamingos2
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins
Looking forward to seeing your pics of the discus you are thinking of getting.

discuspaul
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
P.S.
Do you like the Red Lotus, and the Tiger Lotus, in the 2nd album ? I love those plants.

zchauvin
04-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Yeah they do look good will def try to get some of that for the rear right side. I will upload the pics of discus this after noon.

zchauvin
04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
What about bocapa I think ?? Would that have a place in my tank, wdy think? I'm headed to lfs in an hourish

zchauvin
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM

the discus, all are approx. 8 months old and about 2-2.5 inches.

discuspaul
04-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Bacopa would be fine, if you like the look of it - sure, give it a try.
As for the discus, they are very small and it's difficult to tell what strain they are, and what they would look like when they get larger. But quite candidly, if they are in fact 8 months old, they are runts, either that or more likely, stunted. Imo, I would stay away from them, no matter how inexpensive they are. I think you would be disappointed in the long run. Think about getting your discus from another local source, or preferably one of the several reputable sponsors here on SD. May cost you more, but you'll be much happier and satisfied that you did.

discuspaul
04-11-2011, 07:39 PM
P.S. Those discus also seem to have poor shape/body structure.

zchauvin
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Alright man sounds good. They wanted 40 a piece for them lol so no prob I bought 2 more crypt 1 red lotus and 1 red sword plus some wisteria.

discuspaul
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Great - I'm glad to hear that ! (And $40. is too much for small fish, of questionable quality, like that, IMHO.)
I like your choices of more new plants. Get them set up and let's see some pics !

zchauvin
04-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Will do

zchauvin
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM

tank, one note is that i moved lotus to left side right in front of rotalo b/w it and driftwood. Almost forgot I also put two more anubias nana to line dw as seen

discuspaul
04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Looking good - give it a week or two & see how you like the results - do some adjusting if you think it needs it.
That's the only way to get a good looking scape, at least in your mind.

zchauvin
04-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Looking good - give it a week or two & see how you like the results - do some adjusting if you think it needs it.
That's the only way to get a good looking scape, at least in your mind.

Check out the updated pic. I plan on putting some kind of divider and a half circle sand pool type of deal b/w the rocks. Thoughts on scape? Ideas?

discuspaul
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Your tank looks good, and your plan to re-vamp a touch sounds fine. Try it, and see how it looks. My only thought - Add more plant color - Darker green, or red - Ludwigia for example, or some Red Lotus &/or Tiger Lotus.

strawberryblonde
04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
It's looking great!

I can visualize where you want to put the sand and I think it will look very nice. I tried sand in the front of my tank, but without something to separate it from the eco complete in the rest of the tank, it's just mixed together now. Fortunately, the discus don't seem to care that there's small black gravel in their eating space. They just shove it all around and dig up the goodies.

I wish I could get my hands on plants as nice and healthy as yours are. Do you have someone locally who is selling them?

SB

zchauvin
04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Your tank looks good, and your plan to re-vamp a touch sounds fine. Try it, and see how it looks. My only thought - Add more plant color - Darker green, or red - Ludwigia for example, or some Red Lotus &/or Tiger Lotus.

I've got some ludwigia in there and a tiger lotus but both are on left side ;) I'm gunna try to do this sand thing to give some brightness to the tank then once everything grows out will see where I stand and add some more plants.

zchauvin
04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
It's looking great!

I can visualize where you want to put the sand and I think it will look very nice. I tried sand in the front of my tank, but without something to separate it from the eco complete in the rest of the tank, it's just mixed together now. Fortunately, the discus don't seem to care that there's small black gravel in their eating space. They just shove it all around and dig up the goodies.

I wish I could get my hands on plants as nice and healthy as yours are. Do you have someone locally who is selling them?

SB

Just my lfs :) they get new shipments every other week. Who's there supplier, I do not know.

zchauvin
04-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Tank after adding the sand pool. I simply used cement sand and food wrap and just dropped down and used substrate/rocks to hold in place. Comments?

Also will be putting micro sword along far right side and right after sand pool to fill in all holes and in front of red tiger lotus. On top of that I will place many rotala macrandra behind the three crypts. All I need is one more to go along right side glass in front of my two swords, any thoughts???

discuspaul
04-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Starting to look real good ! Keep it going. Suggest a slightly larger lotus , a tiger, at the right in front of the sword. Attach 1 or 2 more anubias to the DW. Place a few jungle vals or sag behind the crypts at middle right.
Just suggestions - go with your gut feel & eye.

discuspaul
04-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Starting to look real sweet - keep it going !
Think about placing a larger lotus, a tiger, in front of the sword on the right side. Perhaps add 1 or 2 more anubias to the DW. The Rotala would look good behind the crypts, but I think so would some Hygro, or a few Jungle vals or sag. Go with your gut & eye.

discuspaul
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Sorry, I'm repeating myself - couldn't manage to delete the first post.

zchauvin
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I'm repeating myself - couldn't manage to delete the first post.

No prob man, I believe that is a tiger lotus just was very small. Has already grown another leaf and stems are gaining length. So red jungle val behind crypt near sword and 2 more anubius? I have that ruby red sword right in front of amazon on right, it is getting color just small as well. Anything else? What's your thoughts on microsword and where to place anubius??

discuspaul
04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think there is any such thing as "red" jungle val. I was just suggesting tall vals.
Micro-swords (dwarfs) would be fine in your planting. Try to place 1 or 2 more anubias on the lower portions of that DW.

zchauvin
04-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think there is any such thing as "red" jungle val. I was just suggesting tall vals.
Micro-swords (dwarfs) would be fine in your planting. Try to place 1 or 2 more anubias on the lower portions of that DW.

Vallisneria gigantea marmor :-)

discuspaul
04-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I've never seen it before. Didn't think there was anything like that.

discuspaul
04-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Looked it up. Nice Plant. Now I've learned something from you. I owe you one.

zchauvin
04-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Looked it up. Nice Plant. Now I've learned something from you. I owe you one.

Lol I'm new to discus but I do know a whee little bit about plants and how to use Google :)

Second Hand Pat
04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
zchauvin, it's starting to come together. Looks like Paul is being useful. ;)

zchauvin
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Lol I'm new to discus but I do know a whee little bit about plants and how to use Google :)

zchauvin, it's starting to come together. Looks like Paul is being useful. ;)

Thanks I appreciate it and he's been quite helpful yes.

zchauvin
04-20-2011, 08:04 PM

the pitiful discus i picked up today... plz someone tell me how bad he/she really looks and if i can help it got it for 10$ so couldnt pass it up, if its helpable i will pick up the second one just like it friday.

discus is approx 4 months old i believe??? lfs didnt even know the strain, fish is eating and looked overall healthy other than some black on lower fins.

zchauvin
04-20-2011, 08:15 PM

My tank as of recently, also anyone know why the discus goes up and down the sides? within the last two hours his colors have improved 150% but i believe he is "pacing". any ideas? Just because its alone now?

discuspaul
04-20-2011, 10:26 PM
Because he's alone now ? Yes, could be.
Get 4 or 5 others.

zchauvin
04-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Because he's alone now ? Yes, could be.
Get 4 or 5 others.

Ehh ive got in my 29g, I will pick up other one of same strand then once I set up 75g I will get 5 more. What do you think about the fish in general and how about the scape?? :-)

discuspaul
04-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't recall it was a 29 gal. Yes, as/when you get a 75, then you could add 5 more and it would look great.
Hard to tell from the pics, but the discus looks quite small/young, (or stunted) and appears to be pigeon blood strain. Perhaps you can make something of it when it grows out.
Scape is fine if you like it. Will look better as it grows out. Maybe it's just the camera, but the water seems a little hazy, and the light color "yellowish". Not being critical at all, just trying to help you get it where you want it.

zchauvin
04-20-2011, 10:56 PM
No no man I like the comments and advice, this is why I ask. You are correct that the water is yellowish. It's the tannins from dw. I'm doing 30% wc 3x weekly and every single one is tea colored water... I added purigen to canister filter today and will see if it helps. So you think the discus is stunted hu?? I sure hope you are wrong :/ its about 2 inches and still has some pale orange on it where color is still coming out. You don't think its small because its still just young by any chance? I have wc 3x weekly as stated with ph 7 84 degree f. I will be giving beefheart pro I think in mornings then flakes soon as I get off and then blood worms at night. Hopefully it will become a pretty adult. I know it wont be a perfect show fish but worth the time and effort I put in.

discuspaul
04-20-2011, 11:14 PM
With the WC's you are doing, the DW tannins should clear out fairly quickly.
Really tough to tell about the fish - If it's 2" and really young in actual fact (3 months +, or less) ok, but otherwise it's probably stunted. Doesn't mean it isn't worth the time & effort to try & make something of it.
It could very well become a "pretty adult". Up to you.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 01:21 PM

the pics i was able to get

i really need to get rid of that blue light lol, everything looks blue ugh

discuspaul
04-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Hard to tell without better pics - i.e. close up shots, but they look reasonably ok from what we can see - they could turn out real nice. The new blue looks fine.

zchauvin
04-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah sorry about that the only cam I have is on my phone and with them being skitish its very hard to get a closeup. I will try and put some much better and brighter pics up this week if I can get them near the glass for longer than 5 seconds. They are constantly in hiding. Im pretty sure I got jipped though :/ I payed 70 for the imp. blue and couldve gotten a red marlbaro about and inch longer and a fuller body shape for the same price in new orleans but when I came to my local lfs and saw it, I didnt want it turning out like the others. Any ideas how I could keep water warm for two hours in car if I decide to purchase that marlbaro red next weekend? Id be buying on a sat night and putting in tank on the sunday night ?!?

discuspaul
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Don't worry about the temp drop for spending 2 hours in the car. That's not a problem. Just acclimatize them when you get home. Why are you getting them Saturday night and not putting them in your tank till Sunday night ?
That's a full day and will present a problem.
You certainly shouldn't leave them in the bag for 24 hours. Otherwise they'll likely perish from the ammonia build-up, lack of oxygen & heat, etc.
You need to get them into a proper environment as soon as you can after you get home. If not in your main tank for whatever reason, then in a bucket or other container (e.g. styrofoam box) that contains conditioned water, is heated and at least aerated, if not filtered with a seeded filter.

zchauvin
04-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Don't worry about the temp drop for spending 2 hours in the car. That's not a problem. Just acclimatize them when you get home. Why are you getting them Saturday night and not putting them in your tank till Sunday night ?
That's a full day and will present a problem.
You certainly shouldn't leave them in the bag for 24 hours. Otherwise they'll likely perish from the ammonia build-up, lack of oxygen & heat, etc.
You need to get them into a proper environment as soon as you can after you get home. If not in your main tank for whatever reason, then in a bucket or other container (e.g. styrofoam box) that contains conditioned water, is heated and at least aerated, if not filtered with a seeded filter.
I go out of town every other weekend and they have amazing quality and prices. I don't come home till Sunday and lfs closes Saturday. I'm bringing my leopard skin back tomorrow, he is not doing well. The blue is happy pretty and active while he just hides behind heater and does not even move all day... I will get the other blue more than likely

discuspaul
04-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Not sure I understand.
If you're out of town on business over a week-end and not coming home until Sunday - but you need to pick up a new discus on Saturday before the LFS closes, and you can't get it home to your tank until Sunday - what do you do in the meantime ... i.e. overnite Sat. to Sun. ? Are you in a motel/hotel, or at a friend's home ?
Sorry, but I don't think you'll succeed in buying a bagged fish on Saturday, and keeping it until you get home Sunday to re-home it in your tank. If you're going to pick up a discus on Saturday, and you have a 2 hour drive home, then you have to go home with the fish on Saturday. Or am I missing something here ?

The_Finglonger
04-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Not sure I understand.
If you're out of town on business over a week-end and not coming home until Sunday - but you need to pick up a new discus on Saturday before the LFS closes, and you can't get it home to your tank until Sunday - what do you do in the meantime ... i.e. overnite Sat. to Sun. ? Are you in a motel/hotel, or at a friend's home ?
Sorry, but I don't think you'll succeed in buying a bagged fish on Saturday, and keeping it until you get home Sunday to re-home it in your tank. If you're going to pick up a discus on Saturday, and you have a 2 hour drive home, then you have to go home with the fish on Saturday. Or am I missing something here ?

If you can bring a bucket, heater, and air pump, you should be okay to temporarily house a discus for a day.

discuspaul
04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
If you can bring a bucket, heater, and air pump, you should be okay to temporarily house a discus for a day.

That's exactly what I suggested in my second to last earlier post. Whether that's done at home, or on the road in a hotel/motel - same result - should work out ok.
One would have thought zchauvin would have figured that out for himself - but perhaps it bears repeating.

zchauvin
04-23-2011, 06:24 PM
That's exactly what I suggested in my second to last earlier post. Whether that's done at home, or on the road in a hotel/motel - same result - should work out ok.
One would have thought zchauvin would have figured that out for himself - but perhaps it bears repeating.

Lol yes I understand this I have done it before in an ice chest with battery air pump for at hotel and car ride but idk if I want to attempt it with a discus. They are as we all know much more sensitive. Idk how I would keep water warm for around 18-20 hours

zchauvin
04-23-2011, 06:36 PM
And can anyone pleaseeeee tell me why my fish look and act the way they are. Is it that I'm paranoid because I've got two juvie fish in a 29 planted??? They both have good eye color, their fins are "perky" and they seem fine yet they will not eat and stay in the upper corner right between heater and glass and do not move. So much that I can pick the blue diamond up and he doesn't do anything but back up a little. As I was told the not eating is understandable and so is the hiding but it seems a bit much. Any advice? Or should I just relax lol

discuspaul
04-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Your Discus - Be patient - give it a few more days/week, and see how it goes.
As for your week-end trip, do you not have a small heater you can take along with you ? If not, buy/borrow one - 50 watt - not expensive. Good luck.

zchauvin
04-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Your Discus - Be patient - give it a few more days/week, and see how it goes.
As for your week-end trip, do you not have a small heater you can take along with you ? If not, buy/borrow one - 50 watt - not expensive. Good luck.

I have around 3/4 little heaters but all presets that are limited to 78-80f. I know I can turn on at house but what about car ride?? And as for the discus, I'm sure glad you are here. As I said both( even the pitiful little ick red leopard ) are looking magnificent but hide in the day. I understand now that they are scared, once the lights are off the blue diamond is right at the top out in the open like he's all jolly lol. thanks for all the help its much appreciated.

discuspaul
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
If you have a heater that will heat to 78-80 F, take it with you, along with a bucket and aerator if you have one - that should work ok. Don't worry about not heating the water for the 2 hour ride back home - the fish will be ok back in the bags for that temporary period.

zchauvin
04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Ok sounds good hopefully next weekend ill have new pics up to show you, can't this weekend bcuz of Easter of course but I head back up next Friday.

zchauvin
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Well discuspaul you will be happy to know I'm home and my two discus are looking beautiful,healthy, and eating :)) still very shy but do come up to eat. As soon as my 29 biocube is cycled I'm moving them to there and ordering 6 2.5" juvies from Hans and putting them in bb biocube and moving these first two to 75g I'm setting up Friday and so forth :) any thoughts on my plans?

discuspaul
04-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Glad to hear your discus are looking good and eating.
Don't know what your plans are for setting up & operating the 75 gal, so I don't feel I can be helpful at this stage.
Is it Hans' place you are driving to over the next week-end to pick up the juvies you mentioned ?

zchauvin
04-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Glad to hear your discus are looking good and eating.
Don't know what your plans are for setting up & operating the 75 gal, so I don't feel I can be helpful at this stage.
Is it Hans' place you are driving to over the next week-end to pick up the juvies you mentioned ?

75g will have half inch sand dw and possibly anubias for plants at most. will have two 150w heaters and an eheim 2217. I am ordering from his online site with overnite shipping, I live in Louisiana. Would be a faaarr drive lol.
P.S. my red leopard had ick and I tried curing but was using outdated med:/ both my discus now have but I have did 50% wc and added methyl blue for ick and melafix for them also. Will keep updated