PDA

View Full Version : discus dead

bon243
04-09-2011, 10:15 AM
so i woke up today to find one of my discus dead- kinda looks like he was eaten. The other 5 discus are thriving right now, what happened?
also, in my tank i also have
neons
rams
corydoras
and a female betta

Northwoods Discus
04-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry for your loss. Probably going to need some more info and pics for anyone to help.

bon243
04-09-2011, 10:31 AM
i cant get pictures but
he was floating at the top of his tank with his fins nipped and on one side, a white film was on him, because tat one side was a little torn open

PAR23
04-09-2011, 10:49 AM
No prior symptoms at all (clamped fins, off feeds, dark, flashing)? WC last 24hrs? No fish added recently?

Northwoods Discus
04-09-2011, 11:03 AM
If all the others appear normal and eating etc he may have injured himself by being scared and hitting the side of the tank. Check water parameters and watch the others closely for symptoms.

TURQ64
04-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry to hear..On another tack, I see a small fish next to a large filter intake in your avatar. If that's a recent photo..It may wind up stuck there and die...I had two perish this way recently...any foam to cover it, or a pre-filter? Many times, they will scurry to hide, go behind the intake, and...well, you know the rest...

William Palumbo
04-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Where did you get the Discus from? Dead fish get picked at, so you may be seeing post mortem damage...Bill

bon243
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
he was always eating but he was never in the shoal

bon243
04-09-2011, 01:51 PM
also, he's just swimming by the intake, they never hang out near it

Jhhnn
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
he was always eating but he was never in the shoal

I'd suspect that he had internal problems all along, and finally succumbed. If none of the others have any symptoms, it's not likely something contagious or at least not highly contagious. He may also have injured himself while you weren't looking.

The white coating is just normal bacterial action on dead material, and the smaller fish will pick at anything resembling food. To them, a dead fish is just a big chunk of food...

I came home to find one of my adult discus dead in the tank a few weeks ago. I fed them and watched a few hours earlier, seeing absolutely nothing wrong at all. The fish showed no external signs of injury, and the tankmates have been fine ever since.

Northwoods Discus offers good advice- that's what I did after finding the one dead fish, along with some pre-emptive water quality maintenance- making sure to do my daily water changes & siphoning, squeezed out the sponge filters in a bucket of tank water, cleaned the glass, made sure everything was as good as I could reasonably make it...

bon243
04-09-2011, 04:12 PM
thanks!
Makes me feel a little better

Eddie
04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Where did you get the Discus from? Dead fish get picked at, so you may be seeing post mortem damage...Bill

Ditto, fish died and others ate.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bill63SG
04-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Just curious Bon,if I recall correctly,you were looking for discus in the Chicago area.Who'd you end up going with?