PDA

View Full Version : Discus Strains - Are some easier than others to keep both wild and domestic

fishpedagogue
04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Hello I am just curious if some strains of discus are easier to keep than others both Wild and Domestic. If so, what's the easiest wild strain of discus (e.g. browns, etc) What is the easiest domestic strain (blue diamond, etc.) I am just getting back into discus and I just want to keep strains that are known to be hardy. I do understand that all discus are delicate fish though and need a lot of care. Please advise.

PAR23
04-09-2011, 12:26 PM
IMO, it's not the strain but the quality of the fish you are starting out with.

William Palumbo
04-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I always found PB's to be a bit hardier than most, IME anyways...Bill

Eddie
04-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I always found PB's to be a bit hardier than most, IME anyways...Bill

Yup, bulletproof! They can live in a toilet and breed in there too. They breed with anything! Even the neighbors dog! Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

chaoslite
04-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Yup, bulletproof! They can live in a toilet and breed in there too. They breed with anything! Even the neighbors dog! Lol

ROFLMAO

Mishka

Txredneck
04-10-2011, 07:42 AM

LOL Eddie now that I thing of it , My male PB has been eyein my Female Min_pin when she goes in the fish room
he sure come's alive when she comes in there
"looks like I had better put my beer down and take a closer look and do some more research on this"

Jhhnn
04-10-2011, 11:16 AM
IMO, it's not the strain but the quality of the fish you are starting out with.

Quality is a broad term. It's not like discus have to be show grade to be hardy. In this context, quality refers to the rearing and intermediate care provided prior to the hobbyist obtaining the specimens. Once discus get to be intermediate size, 3" & up, they're actually fairly tough. They'll survive for an extended period even with relatively poor care, even though they become damaged goods. It's very difficult for novice keepers to tell that's happened, that they're buying discus essentially doomed to short lives.

People think they can do better picking discus in person, even though they know their level of expertise is low. They want to see what they're buying, so they end up at a LFS, choosing from stock where none of it is necessarily healthy or well cared for in the first place. Even the best of a bad batch isn't good.

Which is why I recommend our sponsors. I've only dealt with Kenny Cheung, but several of the others have stellar reputations as well. This forum provides a feedback mechanism for buyers that works extremely well- there's really nothing else like it, to my knowledge.

Hardiness? Depends on who you ask. Hans' Stendkers have a reputation for hardiness, although I can't say myself. Some say Pigeons have the same qualities. All I know for sure is that the snakeskin varieties I've purchased from Kenny have held up well, and I suspect it's not due entirely to the good care I provide.

I've kept discus off and on for over 30 years, and have never been as successful as I've been over the last 2 years, simply because of the knowledge base here at Simply. I tried to glean the knowledge I needed, then approached it in a formulaic way. Good mid priced stock from Kenny, the largest I could reasonably afford, all the same variety in a school large enough to meet their social requirements. Less than 1 fish per 10gals, at least with the first batch, a robust water changing system and lots of food in a varied diet. Good equipment, particularly Jager heaters. Added some diligence and some luck- it's worked so far, and I'm still having fun with it all...

jeepdad
04-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Well said Jhhnn!

scottthomas
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
I have always heard and have some experience that golden based strains are harder to keep, (as far as getting large size and good eye to body ratio). I have also heard some report that certain strains of LSS are harder to keep. Albino strains are generally harder to breed due to problems of fry not attaching. I also feel that some pigeon strains are very hardy, grow large size, easy to breed.

m.ingram
04-11-2011, 01:55 AM
LOL Eddie now that I thing of it , My male PB has been eyein my Female Min_pin when she goes in the fish room
he sure come's alive when she comes in there

Min Pin x pb discus try stopping that from jumping out of the tank