heres a picture of my tank
would love suggestions of how to go about with it

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/13042011252.jpg

vernon_24
04-13-2011, 11:57 PM
guyz i need some advice here...

calihawker
04-14-2011, 12:32 AM
You know, I don't know that I would change a thing with that scape. The focus on the wood and plants just off center is very nice. It looks very clean and unclutttered unlike many planted tanks look when they're over planted or need pruning. maybe some ground cover but its really a nice job:)

vernon_24
04-14-2011, 04:54 AM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/14042011260.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/14042011259.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/14042011258.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/14042011256.jpg
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/14042011257.jpg

these are the plants i currently have

vernon_24
04-14-2011, 04:59 AM
Limnophila Hippuroides / Aromatica
Hygrophila Corymbosa will be coming most probably by next week..

zchauvin
04-14-2011, 07:14 AM
As discuspaul has told me, put in maybe two swords, some red jungle val, ludwigia, and crypts. Also never forget good ole anubius.

vernon_24
04-14-2011, 12:16 PM
As discuspaul has told me, put in maybe two swords, some red jungle val, ludwigia, and crypts. Also never forget good ole anubius.

yes the anubias
i had gone to a lfs he had it but could not figure out which 1 was it neway will pick it up next time

discuspaul
04-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I would think about placing a tall Hygrophilia plant (or something like that - a lighter green plant) on the left side of the DW, at the rear, to help hide some of your equipment. A couple of anubias attached to the DW would also look good, imo. Leave the right hand side open, to provide lots of swimming room for the fish.

vernon_24
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I would think about placing a tall Hygrophilia plant (or something like that - a lighter green plant) on the left side of the DW, at the rear, to help hide some of your equipment. A couple of anubias attached to the DW would also look good, imo. Leave the right hand side open, to provide lots of swimming room for the fish.
yep the right side is mostly goin to be hair grass or something like that no tall plants...

vernon_24
04-14-2011, 10:47 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/vernonribeiro/14042011256.jpg

can anyone identify this plant ??

discuspaul
04-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Looks like a type of Lotus but can't say for sure.

greengreen84
04-15-2011, 01:33 AM
looks a bit like my green lotus when I got mine, But I don't think your lights are strong enough by the looks of the plants on the ground and I'm guessing you have T8 lights on there is your tank a 90Lx45Wx60cmH rouffly guessing? if I'm right then then you will be needin a serious upgrade to T5 or Led's to have foreground plants growing

vernon_24
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
dude whats t5 ?? ive gt 2 tubelights which are 30w each
my tank is 4ft - 18in- 18in roughly

vernon_24
04-17-2011, 08:46 AM
lighting suggestions ???

jimg
04-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I would go with 2 t5's also 54w each. Raise or lower them above the tank to adjust light needed. I'm not sure how the plants will do in coarse gravel though, I have always used volcanit or flourite which is substrate for plants. t5's are small diameter bulbs which put out intenser light for their size than larger t8's.

greengreen84
04-17-2011, 10:05 AM
normally the T8 tubes are 10watts per 30cm (12inches) or close to it that why I thought 3ft haha, if you get T5 which is the smaller tube light with more watts 12watts per 30cm(12 inches) you will get penitration to the ground and they will last over a year to 18 months before changing colour and then useless for growing plants where T8 have about 6 - 8 months depending on the quailty of the tube but i couldn't comment on Led because theirs so many different ones with different outputs so giving info on this could be useless if you grab the wrong one!

but a few questions about the setup?
- are you dosing fertilzer for the plants if so what method are you using or are you just using the bottle directions and are you using a trace mineral fert at all?
- are you using Co2? (I don't see any?)
- and do you have any nitrates or phosphates in their the plants need this to grow your plants look like they have a nitrogen deficiency (nitrates) or lack of light
combination, you might be able to fix the lighting part with one more 30watt tube you should have 1.5watts to 2watts for T8 tubes
- and what kelvin or colour is the lights a good target is 5000 kelvin to 6700 kelvin or 10,000 kelvin
- and filtration how many gallons or litres per hour is it plants need good circlation for ferts to reach them
all these are impotant to plants with out one nothing works or just struggles to get going, good luck

vernon_24
04-17-2011, 01:22 PM
normally the T8 tubes are 10watts per 30cm (12inches) or close to it that why I thought 3ft haha, if you get T5 which is the smaller tube light with more watts 12watts per 30cm(12 inches) you will get penitration to the ground and they will last over a year to 18 months before changing colour and then useless for growing plants where T8 have about 6 - 8 months depending on the quailty of the tube but i couldn't comment on Led because theirs so many different ones with different outputs so giving info on this could be useless if you grab the wrong one!

but a few questions about the setup?
- are you dosing fertilzer for the plants if so what method are you using or are you just using the bottle directions and are you using a trace mineral fert at all?
- are you using Co2? (I don't see any?)
- and do you have any nitrates or phosphates in their the plants need this to grow your plants look like they have a nitrogen deficiency (nitrates) or lack of light
combination, you might be able to fix the lighting part with one more 30watt tube you should have 1.5watts to 2watts for T8 tubes
- and what kelvin or colour is the lights a good target is 5000 kelvin to 6700 kelvin or 10,000 kelvin
- and filtration how many gallons or litres per hour is it plants need good circlation for ferts to reach them
all these are impotant to plants with out one nothing works or just struggles to get going, good luck
thanks...
im not using ferts...
i am using co2 the bio one..! i cnt fix any other tubes because there is insufficient space....
i have a power head and a overhead sponge filter..!

vernon_24
04-27-2011, 03:16 AM
im installing 2 t5's but they are 21 w each
will they be sufficient

zchauvin
04-27-2011, 07:29 AM
im installing 2 t5's but they are 21 w each
will they be sufficient

Didn't read back to see tank size or plants but if you have any grasses they will do ok iff its a 20g tank. You want 2-3wpg, if anubias or swords 1.5-2 or so wpg could work. The two t5 are only giving 42w total, not much to work with unless its a small tank.

vernon_24
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
its a 70 gal tank

zchauvin
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM
its a 70 gal tank

Not even. I'm not sure anubias would even live in that. You can get 48" strip providing efficient wpg for around $200. That's only like .75 wpg

vernon_24
04-28-2011, 01:48 AM
i hv no place to put up any more lights ... :-(

vernon_24
04-28-2011, 01:49 AM
wat if i add a uv tube in it ??
2ft

zchauvin
04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
wat if i add a uv tube in it ??
2ft

It still won't be effective for your needs. I don't understand when you say you don't have any space? I looked at the pics of your tank, all you do is remove the plastic top that came with it and you place the strip. They have adjusting arms that fit on each side of the tank on the rim.

vernon_24
04-29-2011, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=zchauvin;757890]

It still won't be effective for your needs. I don't understand when you say you don't have any space? I looked at the pics of your tank, all you do is remove the plastic top that came with it and you place the strip. They have adjusting arms that fit on each side of the tank on the rim.[/QUmelt
The place for the fish tank was made keeping in mind a smaller tank der was a misundertanding between the dealer and he sent me a bigger tank
So i cut it out a little more now i have oly 4 cm above the plastic cover which also holds my overhead filter
I was lookin into metal halide
But the operating temp is very high so i cant put it der because the water will become very hot and so will the plastic melt
I hv oly 2in in the hood to make any light fitting without cutting the cover

AngryBird
04-29-2011, 06:30 AM
If you are in india, dont buy plants from LFS. Try to buy them online in ebay(usually ships from malaysia). You will get all the plants online that you dont get in lfs in india. Most of the plants sold in lfs in India are collected locally and have a load of parasites. They are not treated and they wont flourish at discus temperate. Buy java ferns that can stick on to the driftwood. With respect to the light, if you have spend some extra Ruppee, you could get one made with LED. Just pick the right LED in india you could get one made for just 5000 ruppee and it will last forever and save you a lot in electricity bill. If you are going T5, buy them from a good LFS that doesnt carry local lights. FYI all lights sold in india are either made in japan/china or malaysia. If you find one that says made in india it just means that you have the wrong one.

vernon_24
02-25-2012, 03:49 AM
If you are in india, dont buy plants from LFS. Try to buy them online in ebay(usually ships from malaysia). You will get all the plants online that you dont get in lfs in india. Most of the plants sold in lfs in India are collected locally and have a load of parasites. They are not treated and they wont flourish at discus temperate. Buy java ferns that can stick on to the driftwood. With respect to the light, if you have spend some extra Ruppee, you could get one made with LED. Just pick the right LED in india you could get one made for just 5000 ruppee and it will last forever and save you a lot in electricity bill. If you are going T5, buy them from a good LFS that doesnt carry local lights. FYI all lights sold in india are either made in japan/china or malaysia. If you find one that says made in india it just means that you have the wrong one.

Dear Prabhu,

I have changed the lighting and the decor of the tank I have an Anubias which is growing beautifully....wil update a pic soon.

P.s- If your from Mumbai theres a store in Crawform Market called "Pieces" do check it out the guy impots his stuff is a lil priceyyyy but worth it because his stufff is realllllll goooood....!

Steelhead
02-25-2012, 05:20 AM
I have had anubias grown in very low light and limited nutrients. Run your lights at least 10 hrs and the growth will be slow but survival is usually easily achieved

vernon_24
02-27-2012, 03:44 AM
I made a few changes to the hood and managed to het in 3 t5 tubes 21w each had superb results with fertz ( no co2) but recently the tube light fixtures gave way and 2 got immersed in the water.....causing them to fuse.... having problem since then as i get only one off a week its a herculean task to dismantle the hood and do it all over again..... having a lil prob with my ferns and tiger lotus since then ..... wil get that rectified by next week and shoul be good to go then.........