PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Skittish Discus

Solid
04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
First a little background, or you can skip down just to read my questions. I've been into planted tanks for over 2 years now and have had several successful heavily planted tanks, and then decided I would like to try my hand at discus. So my first attempt at keeping discus hasn't gone so well. Since I was putting them into a planted tank (not bare bottom, I know a lot of you think this was my first mistake...) I tried to buy the largest discus I could afford and started with 6 3.5" red panda discus. When first introduced to my tank they were very skittish when I walked by especially if I was wearing dark colors. During this time, I lost one at night because he jumped out the top of my open top tank (I know this is my fault). After a few weeks they calmed down and settled in nicely. I had been keeping them for about 2.5 months and then something very unfortunate happened, I woke one morning after I had done a large water change the night before to a tank full of dead and dieing fish. I lost ~25 rummy nose tetras, 3 blue rams and worst of all 4 of the 5 remaining discus. This was apparently because my local water company was "cleaning" their lines and used "a higher amount of free chlorine". I almost gave up the hobby right there. Ever since then, my one remaining discus has been terrified of me, he will be out and about swimming and hunting guppy fry or hanging out, but as soon as I walk through the door, he immediately hides in the corner of the tank behind some driftwood and wont come out. Even during feedings he will hide until I leave (or he thinks I've left) and then come out and eat. He does eat alot, and looks (to me) to be pretty healthy. Very bright colors and shows very little peppering.

Tank Parameters: 86 gallon tank. Fluval 405 and 305 filtration with mostly bio-media some filter floss and 1 bag of Purigen. 2x54watt T5ho Lights. I keep my water at 83-84 degrees. It is kept pretty soft GH 2 and KH 1. My Nitrites and Ammonia have always tested 0 for well over a year. And my Nitrates will go down to 0 when I'm not dosing fertilizers for my plants, but I keep them at ~20-30 ppm. Ph is at 6.8 and dips down to 6.5 w/ Injected Co2.

So, my question is: I have a single very skittish discus. Is he skittish because hes all alone? Or because of past trauma? Or should I look into him maybe being sick?

Also, I feed all his food through a worm feeding cone. I mainly feed Frozen blood worms, but mix in several types of flakes, some pellets, brine shrimp and occasionally live black worms. And he snacks on ghost shrimp that I add occasionally and they last a few weeks. But all prepared food for him goes into a worm cone because if not the tetras and guppies gobble it up before he comes out of hiding. Will this cause any problems?

strawberryblonde
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Yep, you hit the nail on the head. He's feeling very lonely. He doesn't sound sick at all, which is great! =)

How long ago did his tankmates die? Discus are pretty intelligent as fish go and sensitive too, so he might still be feeling the loss. Are you in a position to buy him some new friends? If not, at least consider buying some middle sized buddies for the interim.

My single raised discus in a community tank had angel fish for friends and a couple of gourami's (though german rams are now my favorite smaller buddy fish). Not sure angels will do the trick for your guy since he's already full grown and mine "grew up" with the angels, but it's worth a try if you can't afford to buy new discus right away.

So sorry for your loss. I worry about what my city might do to my water too so I tend to err on the side of caution and double dose my Prime when I do WC's.

SB

Solid
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your quick reply! His old tank mates died in November. And Yes! I am planning on buying more discus, that was the purpose of my post. Actually I met Hans last night at a local fish club and plan on ordering ~6 4" Alenquer from him possibly this week. Gotta check if he has what I want in stock. The reason I was worried is because if mine is sick or injured or something, I don't want to add more discus in just to be affected by a possible disease or environmental problem that mine currently has. But hopefully they will be fine and help my current discus out. Thanks!

strawberryblonde
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Woot... more Hans fish! =)

I just purchased my discus from Hans last week and lemme tell ya, they are some awesome fish! Yesterday marked the one week point in my tank and they are already eating from my hand. You're gonna love them.

SB

roundfishross
04-14-2011, 02:38 PM
you will need to qt the new arrivals

Solid
05-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I figured I would give an update. So I ended up getting 4 3" Red Turqs and 2 3" Alenquers from Hans. Amazing fish. Unfortunately, I was not able to QT them and willing to take the risk of just acclimating slowly to my community tank. If you would like to flame for this, you are welcome to, and I will explain my situation.

Anyway, Like I said very nice fish. The first 2 days they were very skittish and hiding with my big fella. But, within the week they were out and about eating from my hand. Now its been 2+ weeks and my original skittish discus is always at the front of tank and not scared of me at all. When I walk up to the tank they all come near the surface begging for food. What a complete turnaround!

The only minor problem I am having is my big guy can be a bit of a bully, as expected with one discus much larger than the rest, but it doesn't seem very bad. Oh and I cant feed enough, Ill put 3 cubes of blood worms in and within 5 minutes they are begging for more.

Ive been trying to feed them 4+ times a day alternating between flakes for the first meal, then frozen blood worm cubes, then Live Cali Blackworms and then whatever I feel like (pellets, frozen brine shrimp, more flakes or worms). My question is how big of a portion should I feed? I usually feed about 3 Hikari Frozen Blood Worm Cubes per feeding. Is this enough? Too Much?

Solid
05-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I will post pictures as soon as i get to 10 posts :/

Lenin
05-03-2011, 12:14 PM
You're doing good, when you have places to hide and small numbers they will definetly hide, I had 6 in my aquarium when I went to 11 they are now schooling, fighting, big appetites, they will eat out of my hand, they need more to be happy, right now yours are fine, just continue with what you're doing i have a planted tank and they very rarely hide, I think one does hide, but as soon as he sees the other one's eating he will join.

strawberryblonde
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I asked the exact same question about how much to feed a couple weeks ago. LOL

The answers I got were pretty much that so long as they are consuming it all within 30 minutes (mine take no more than 5 minutes to polish off 3 cubes of food), then it's fine to feed them 4-6 times a day. Mine get pretty much the same types of foods that yours get and they gulp it all down super fast. I've been sticking with 4-5 daily feedings and then a bedtime snack about 10 minutes before the lights go out. They still beg when they see me, but their tummie are nice and round by night time so I don't think they're in danger of starving to death.

I tell ya, Hans must be doing something tricksie to them to produce such huge eaters!!! =)

Congrats on the new fish and the good results for your lonely fish. Can't wait to see the pics.
SB

Solid
05-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Lol thanks! Just found your thread and yea sounds exactly like me. Thanks for the encouragement!