PDA

View Full Version : hello new to site and discus

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
hello everyone,
i am new to the site and i am new to discus.

i am a little worried about my tank set up, after reading all the info on this site.
but i am going to cross my fingers

well let me start off by saying a little of my history.
this is long and drawn out so if you must go to my next post to here about my discus.

i have been into aquariums pretty much all my life.
as a kid my dad had a small 30 gallon tank and we woud had our random tetras/neons.

then when i was an adult i was more into amphibs like frogs and newts.
so i set up a 40 gallon long tank that was half water and half land.
i had random small gold fish in there.

i then went back to just a normal fish tank.
i did the tetra thing for awhile.

about 5 years ago i got into chlids. first south american.
i had oscars that made me get a larger tank.
started witha 35 gallon octogon tank.
stepped up to a 50 gallon long
found a great dea on a 75 gallon long.
used the 75 gallon long for about 4 years.
then one of my oscars died he ate to many fish and they got stuck in his mouth.
after that my other oscar would not let any other fish co habitat with it. and a 75 gallon tank with 1 fish isnt that fun.

So the wife and i gave the oscar to the local pet shop.
then we went fish shopping. got about 15 fish total.
about 5 of each kind.
angles
gouramis
tetras
and 1 australian blue lobster.

that lasted a while.
then i am a craiglist *****. i was looking at fish supplies and aquariums.
i found a JUWEL 350 with everything i needed to go salt water.
we were going to make the jump into saltwater.
we did the research and with me being in the military and going on deployments and my wife left to tend to the care we decided we would just keep it freshwater.
so it is a 350liter tank so about 92 gallons.

So we got the JUWEL set up and used water from the 75 gallon to help cycle it quicker.
our lobster was eating up fish so at this time we just had the angels left in our 75 gallon.
so we decided it was time for a change things up.
the 75 gallon got sold the angles went to the JUWEL
the lobster went into the old 35 gallon octogon tank.

so the angles were loving life. but the tank looked a little empty.
so we went to a fish store. told them what we had and ended up
some south african kribensis, some loaches, and a plecostomus. they went into the tank the JUWEL.
everyone did really well.

then a coworker of mine with a 50 gallon tank had a australian blue lobster a plecostomus and an angel. he was leaving and he gave me his whole set up.
so the angels and pleco went into the JUWEL.
the lobster went into the 35 gallon with the other lobster.
and the 50 gallon just got put int he garage.
a few days later his lobster ate mine.

this set up lasted awhile.

then me being the craiglist ***** saw that someone was giving away some convicts.
i did my research and thought it would be interesting to watch them breed.
so i set up the 50 gallon tank. and got 10 free convicts.
my lobster mysteriously died. actaully i think he got squashed by a rock he was burrowing under that shifted and squashed him.
so no more 35 gallon tank.

well the convicts went in the 50 gallon. and 1 month later the miracle of life. eggs, the fry.
i though ahh the other convicts will eat them up. nope. mom and dad would not have that.
i ended up with 100 plus convicts.
i moved about 10 down to my JUWEL. then gave some the pet store.

i went on a short 3 month deployment.
my wife tells me the convicts are getting bigger they ate all the fish in the JUWEL except the kribensis. and that also included some african kenyis we put in right before we left.

so i gave more convicts to the pet store and i am still trying to get rid of convicts.
we like them though and will keep them and if they continue to breed we will just be free convict suppliers.

ok so now we get to discus....

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Ok so i am at the local pet store giving them free convicts and i notice the discus. i never seen discus so large and so pretty.
he had 7 in his tank. and with pond season coming up he had an amazing deal on the discus.

i asked about them and there care and he siad my tank would be fine except i cant have my chlids in there.
so after thinking it through and seeing how much discus cost normally.

i made some changes.
all the convicts are in the 50 gallon.
the kribensis went into my 35 gallon.
and my 92 galon JUWEL.
turned into discus home.

so i purchased 4 disus. 3 i believe are called heckles and one i am pretty sure is a brown.

i have had them now for about 5 days.
they are alive.
they swim around and i think they are finally getting use to the set up because they dont hide when ever we walk up anymore.
i never see them eat. i have used blood worms, tetra flakes, dried brine shrimp and through in some pieces of spinach.
so i am worried because i am not sure if they are eating.

i have a few live plants that they also never ate or messed with.
for now i am sticking to the blood worms and putting some in abotu 3 times aday.

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
ok so i have a rena filstar canistar filter. i read about the carbon so i removed it from the filter.

so now my other worry.
my bottom. i have about 2 inched of rock. not crappy colorfull rock but about 1/4 to 1/2 inch naturaly colored rock.
i also have about 6 small plants . i have a huge pot they hid behind and in.
and from what everyone says since i am new to discus a planted tank with a rock bottom is not ideal.
so do i make some changes?

my water PH is at 6.0
most of my levels are ideal for the discus.
although my water is pretty hard at 140ppm.
so i know that water changes will help this but my water is hard so not really.
i have a RO unit i never used, that i will start to use.
the discus color and attitude seem fine except the eating issue.

ok guys open up tell me what to do.

TURQ64
04-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello, well, you didn't exactly pick the simplest fish in the pond, so..A few 'Heckel things'..they like higher temps and lower ph and hardness than domestic Discus....a bit less light...and some sand...
edit: your ph is fine...

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 12:49 PM
i will post pics as soon as it allows me to. i guess i need to have 10 post first.

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
i have my heater set to 84
i use a rena smart heater so it heats the water as it cycles through the tank. so does a really great job of keeping temp right.
thank you

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 12:54 PM
as far as light i have my light on a timer. it turns on for 2 hours around 11am-1am then again from 4pm-6pm.

no reason for the times the lights are on except that is when the tank is most viewed by friends and family.
other then that it is just natural light that comes in.

TURQ64
04-16-2011, 01:10 PM
I wasn't really concerned with length, and they may get used to it..I find that they just don't care much for lots of light, preferring subdued light..I only base this on their activity and lack of barring accompanied by better coloration......be thinking of driftwood or some way of giving them some form of tannins..there's a lot of great Heckel stuff over in the Amazon section...

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 01:58 PM
thanks for the info i really do want to add soem drift wood.

strawberryblonde
04-16-2011, 02:05 PM
You've almost reached the required 10 posts so you'll be able to put up some pics soon.

SB

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Well new devolpment I can see feces coming from two of the discus so they must be eating.

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
alright I see them pecking at the bloodworms I just put in at the bottom of the tank

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:53 PM
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jeepnleo/fish/IMG_20110416_093818.jpg

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:55 PM
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jeepnleo/fish/IMG_20110416_093806.jpg

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:57 PM
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jeepnleo/fish/IMG_20110416_093827.jpg

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:57 PM
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jeepnleo/fish/IMG_20110416_093835.jpg

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 02:58 PM
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/jeepnleo/fish/IMG_20110416_093844.jpg

strawberryblonde
04-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Lemme fix these for you. To add a photobucket image....

Nebbermind...you figgered it out. LOL

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 04:22 PM
So any one want clear up what kind of discus I have. I think the are 3 heckles and one brown. But I am also think the brown might actually be a green and the heckles might be blues.

TURQ64
04-16-2011, 04:36 PM
The Heckel's are showing some skin/slimecoat damage....not good. They appear distressed (fins clamped, staying somewhat dark)....

TURQ64
04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I think you may want to read, cut and paste the questionairre sticky over in the disease/medication column; those Heckel's aren't doing the best....need a better photo if possible.

strawberryblonde
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing that Turq thinks. I'm concerned not just by the clamped fins, but also by what appears to be some fraying of the fins. It's really hard to tell from the photo's though. I can understand them still appearing a bit darker than usual since they haven't been in the tank for long, but the blues seem very dark and stressed.

Can you get better pics? I know it's hard to do when they just want to hide from you, but it's the only way to really understand what's going on with them.

SB

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 07:21 PM
i will try to take better photos and post those photos in the disease section.
but as far as fins being crimped back they are only like that when i get really close the tank. you can actaully see them crimp back.
then when i leave them alone and just watch from afar i can see them open back up.

but i did notice the possible slime coating issue. i figured that was just from them being knew and they also seem to be bumping into each other alot from the sides and there lips.

but i am new to discus so pictures will be taken and posted.

thank you guys

TURQ64
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Please do fillout the questionaire and post over in the other section. Then we'll have a better shot at figuring things out....Gary

jeepnleo
04-16-2011, 07:40 PM
questionaire?

wendy9722
04-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Its a "sticky" in the disease section

jeepnleo
04-17-2011, 01:32 AM
found the sticky thanks

ericatdallas
04-17-2011, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=jeepnleo;753454]we like them though and will keep them and if they continue to breed we will just be free convict suppliers.
QUOTE]

You could always use the fry as feeders :)