PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filter Issue

BHarris '10
04-17-2011, 12:33 PM
I have two bio sponge filters running off one air pump. My problem is that for some reason one has much greater flow than the other. Its to the point that it looks rediculous that the one pump has way more bubbles coming out, meaning the other has decreased productivity.

I have the air tubing coming from the pump split with a t-split which then runs equal length into the tank and the seperate filters. If I pinch off the air flow to the high flow filter, the other begins to produce more bubbles. Then I release the tube and they both recieve equal air and produce equal amount of bubbles. Then over time, 1-2hr, the one looses its bubbles and productivity. I imagine there must be something going on internally thats causing this.

Any Ideas?

Joker43
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I would buy a couple valves to put inline. They are sold everywhere you buy air pumps and hoses. Install them after the "T" and adjust. This has worked for me.

Thank you,
Tito:jester:

BHarris '10
04-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advice, Im surprised I have not seen the inline valves b4. Prolly just wasnt looking. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks Again

ref0716
04-17-2011, 07:31 PM
You could use a 'splitter" made just for this purpose. This device has one inlet from the air pump, and two (or more) outputs each controlled by a valve. If you buy a 3-way splitter, use the third to bleed excess output to relieve back pressure on your pump. It will last way longer. HTH
Richard

Darrell Ward
04-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I would tee the outlet of the pump to form a large loop with airline tubing. Then run 2 tees off this loop for the sponge filters. What this does is supply an equal amount of air to both sponges, as equal amounts of air enter each end of the loop. The way you have it setup is known as a "deadend". The first sponge is getting most of the air, and the second sponge on the "dead end" is only getting what the first sponge can't use. This is fairly common when using low powered pumps.

daveo
04-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Check the inlets of your sponge filters, they will up with gunk.

Daveo

BHarris '10
04-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think i will go with the 'splitter/valves'. Sounds the easiest to manage.

Jhhnn
05-07-2011, 11:13 PM
You want a gang valve, like this-

http://www.kensfish.com/airvalves/accuair_4_gang_valve.jpg

There are other styles/brands available. Having a check valve inline with the pump is also a good idea, keeps water from back siphoning into the pump if the power goes out.

Pump>check valve>gang valve>individual outlets. Start with the valves to the outlets wide open, close down on the one(s) with the best flow to get balance. Then crack open one of the other valves on the manifold to reduce total flow to what you want. This unloads the airpump somewhat, prolongs its life...