PDA

View Full Version : How does this pump work and will it work for my needs?

ericatdallas
04-18-2011, 03:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-HP-ELECTRIC-CLEAR-WATER-PUMP-1-5-26FT-POND-FARM-POOL-/350456302319?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198d2caef

[IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqF,!i0E2Kl-Qc!)BNqkBEzMfw~~0_3.JPG[/IMG

My scenario:

I want to pump dirty aquarium water from the basement to the bathroom on the first floor. I don't want to submerge the pump, but have it inline.

My question:

So for this, it all I need to do is find the appropriate hose attachments, stick one in the tank and the other to the drain of the upstairs bathroom?

Thanks,
Eric

DiscusOnly
04-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Do you have a sink in the basement? If you don't and if it was me me, I would just add a utility tub, a sump pump and plum it to the main drain. Little more money and work but well worth it if you have multiples tank in the basement.

Northwoods Discus
04-18-2011, 03:21 PM
It was taking too long to load the Ebay tab. But you will have to keep a prime to the pump some how. If air is in the line when the pump turns on it will not pump water from a tank. The line from the tank to the pump has to have water in it. A submerged pump has prime by being in the water. You could keep a prime with valves before and after the pump that you would close before the pump shuts down.

ericatdallas
04-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Do you have a sink in the basement? If you don't and if it was me me, I would just add a utility tub, a sump pump and plum it to the main drain. Little more money and work but well worth it if you have multiples tank in the basement.

that would be the ideal situation... BUT it's not my house and I'm renting it. Not sure if I want to make an investment that I can't really take with me. At least with the pump, when I do move, I can take it with me :/

I'm only here semi-short term. I only have 2.5 more years... would it be justifiable to do as you said... maybe...

ericatdallas
04-18-2011, 03:30 PM
It was taking too long to load the Ebay tab. But you will have to keep a prime to the pump some how. If air is in the line when the pump turns on it will not pump water from a tank. The line from the tank to the pump has to have water in it. A submerged pump has prime by being in the water. You could keep a prime with valves before and after the pump that you would close before the pump shuts down.

Thanks! I didn't know that. Could I just start a gravity siphon from the tank to the pump to start put water in the line?

If the maxium head height is 28ft, does that include a vertical lift?

Also, do these pumps usually leak? It's a finished basement...

DiscusOnly
04-18-2011, 03:31 PM
You can take the setup with you.

This is what I use.

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=152210

I originally wanted a larger basin but shipping was a killer so I went with a smaller one. Only downside is thing is constant goes on/off when I am draining 3-4 tanks at once. Mine has been running for over 2 years with daily water changes.

Van

Northwoods Discus
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
That is a good find Vlam. Is that a bucket and a pump in one? That got me thinking and you could use a sump pump place in a water container like a trash can or something. Then the pump would go an and off automatically with the water level. ( sump pumps have floats that shut them on and off with the water level, easily available at all home stores and can pump "dirty" water)

ericatdallas
04-18-2011, 03:40 PM
You can take the setup with you.

This is what I use.

http://www.accentshopping.com/product.asp?P_ID=152210

I originally wanted a larger basin but shipping was a killer so I went with a smaller one. Only downside is thing is constant goes on/off when I am draining 3-4 tanks at once. Mine has been running for over 2 years with daily water changes.

Van

That is a nice find... but it only has 5ft lift... still, I might be able to use it for another project I'm thinking about.

ericatdallas
04-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Grey Special Ops, Up Flush Drains, Exotic Fish - Secrets of Plumbing Magic

Special Ops? - We know of a number ofour customers who use the Liberty 404 Drain Pump for special operations andapplications.

One of our customers recently called to tellus how pleased he was using his new 404 pump in his unique application, hishobby is raising exotic fish.

Our Fish Farmer Friend told us that during thebreeding and young stages, this particular species of fish needs very cleanwater or the fish would not breed or the young fish died. His solution was tochange his aquarium tank water very often like every day or two with totallynew water, not filtered water. He had many large aquarium tanks so he wasconstantly draining hundreds of gallons of waste water so that he couldreplenish the aquariums with “new”, pure, clean water.

As luck would have it his multi tank aquariumset-up was in his basement. Even though he had a sink in the basement he stillhad to siphon to buckets, transport the buckets to the sink and then lift-upand dump the buckets with these many hundreds of gallons of waste water intothe sink- constantly (by the way - he had a day job too)! So this is what hehad to look forward to on his drive home. Wow I am just thinking as I writethis how much of a work-out he got from that and how much work that whole processwas (it brings a whole new meaning to have a nice night)!

Our Fish Farmer Friend rigged up the Liberty 404 to do his heavylifting for him and now we think his night time “Special Ops”, must be a lotdifferent. I would venture to say that the installation of the Liberty 404Drain Pump was a profound life altering event for him! Needless to say hecalled to say that he is one happy fish farmer now! I wonder what he does withhis evenings now? I hope he is using the extra time he saved to gothe gym and is continuing to stay in shape.
What ever your applications – special orotherwise, you'll be happy to know the Liberty Drain Pump System arrives fullyassembled and ready to install, it is a very powerful solution to your greywater, drain – waste – lift project.

Are you the "fish farmer" the site speaks of...? :)

DiscusOnly
04-18-2011, 03:46 PM
That is a good find Vlam. Is that a bucket and a pump in one? That got me thinking and you could use a sump pump place in a water container like a trash can or something. Then the pump would go an and off automatically with the water level. ( sump pumps have floats that shut them on and off with the water level, easily available at all home stores and can pump "dirty" water)

That's exactly what it is! There is basically a sump pump inside the sealed bucket. Not sure what brand is inside the Liberty but another member on the forum has one in his finished basement that broke. I ordered a replacement pump for him and inside had the exact sump pump that I have in my basement sump pit. For $200, you are basically paying $100 for the pit that is sealed and a $100 little giant sump pump.

Van

DiscusOnly
04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Are you the "fish farmer" the site speaks of...? :)

No.. that's not me.

It will lift more than 5ft, just not at the 32gpm. You shouldn't need to lift more than the height of the basement ceiling. Heck, if the sewage line is only 3 feet above ground, you don't even need to go all the way up the the ceiling. Remember.. PVC connection.. quick install and remove.

http://www.libertypumps.com/Data/SalesLiterature/404.pdf

Van

Northwoods Discus
04-18-2011, 03:54 PM
If it is sealed will it leak if the pump fails? But how would it allow water to enter, if totally sealed there would be pressure stopping flow? If it has a valve that closed as the water level reached peak as a failsafe that would be nice. I need to do something with my aging barrel. I really flooded the basement last week. Went to work and left the water running. Came home to several inches of water in the basement. Sump tried but couldn't keep up. Spent 3 days cleaning up carpet and drying out things.

DiscusOnly
04-18-2011, 04:04 PM
If it is sealed will it leak if the pump fails? But how would it allow water to enter, if totally sealed there would be pressure stopping flow? If it has a valve that closed as the water level reached peak as a failsafe that would be nice. I need to do something with my aging barrel. I really flooded the basement last week. Went to work and left the water running. Came home to several inches of water in the basement. Sump tried but couldn't keep up. Spent 3 days cleaning up carpet and drying out things.

If my pump failed, water would just simply overlow in my utility tub (no different than a clogged drainange pipe). The pump is setup with side input, 1 1/2 or 2" drain and a vent pipe.

If you are overfilling your aging barrel, why don't you use a float switch like this? http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23234&catid=569&clickid=searchresults

Van

Northwoods Discus
04-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Van thanks so much for the link. All I could find were the 3/8 inch float valves and have been using those for my R/O barrels but I needed one that was 3/4inch or larger. I bookmarked your link and will order one pronto. Those are perfect. Sorry Eric for hijacking your thread.
Bill