PDA

View Full Version : Status of NADA 2012 Atlanta Discus Convention

Chad Adams
04-20-2011, 08:50 AM
As some of you may well know there is some internal conflict with the officers of NADA at this time.
With deep regret we must temporarily, indefinitely put the plans for the Atlanta 2012 show on hold. With the current status of the board at NADA we just don't see how we could proceed at this time. The Southeast Discus Enthusiasts, Larry & myself hold no regrets or ill-will towards anyone involved with NADA or the board members. If things get worked out in an amiable and timely matter, SEDE, Larry & myself are willing to proceed with show plans.
Please understand the internal conflicts have nothing to do with the SEDE club or anyone involved with the club. This is an internal NADA issue. Larry is still involved with NADA as a board member & will keep us up to date on the progress.
Thanks,
Chad & Larry

Skip
04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
This is crazy..

korbi_doc
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
What in the world is goin' on??? This is too sad, whyever can't we all get along & get this done? I hope there is a resolution to whatever "conflict" you guys/gals have.....wish I was younger & could get into the fray & help resolve....remember it's just a "FISH"!! The show must go on!!

Dottie

Skip
04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
" the spice must flow"- Dune

Larry Bugg
04-20-2011, 11:45 AM
This is difficult for me because I am wearing two hats here. One as the co-chair (with Chad) of SEDE and the 2012 Convention, the other as a officer and BOD member of NADA. Chad and I still want the 2012 Convention and show to take place and be a huge success and are still more than willing to do the necessary work to make that happen. Unfortunately this is contigent on the NADA BOD issues getting straighted out in a timely manner to allow that to happen. NADA is not a rich organization. It runs on member dues and donations. The cost of running a convention and show is huge and the only way to make it happen is through fund raisers. If we can get everything resolved quick enough to recover financially and with leadership that is willing to do the necessary NADA work then ON WITH THE SHOW.

The one request I have of the Simply membership is if you don't have direct knowledge of what is happening please refrain from posting rumors or accusiations that are not based entirely on facts. Those kind of postings will do noting but hamper our ability to get this issue resolved.

Larry

William Palumbo
04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm a NADA member, and I don't have a clue as to what's going on, or if even if it's any of my business. But I think if an issue is going to be hinted at and/or discussed openly on a public forum the facts should be laid out, so there is NO accusations or rumors...Bill

Chad Adams
04-20-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm a NADA member, and I don't have a clue as to what's going on, or if even if it's any of my business. But I think if an issue is going to be hinted at and/or discussed openly on a public forum the facts should be laid out, so there is NO accusations or rumors...Bill

Bill,
Thank you for your concern. The issues as it pertains to us is nothing we have done or can do anything about. This is an internal BOD discussion with those members.
The issues that pertain to us is currently John Nicholson & Jim Hall have both resigned from their positions with NADA. As Larry has said we need to refrain from making any accusations or rumors as this is a discussion between those members individually, that's all. No need to air out their dirty laundry here, it's none of our business.
Chad

korbi_doc
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
:( Wow, as a founding member of NADA, this situation makes me so very sad!! I've absolutely no info 'bout whatever is goin' on, been out of the loop since my health has failed, but I can think of no reason for the infighting of a BOD on a fish forum for crying out loud!! & now everyone is deserting the sinking ship....this is a crying shame for us all....please, please whoever has caused this, try to resolve it.....

John, I am so sorry you have to leave....I agree with Warlock..."this is crazy!!"

Dottie :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

LizStreithorst
04-21-2011, 01:33 PM
It's a damns shame. As we saw in Dallas, the NADA show has the support of the Discus community. If this next one doesn't come to be I and I'm sure many others will be disgusted with the BODs and terribly disappointed.

Skip
04-21-2011, 01:47 PM
I am sure it will still happen... Its jus a road.bump

Scribbles
04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
This is a shame. Unfortunately because of the way that this has been handled on a public forum rather than privately between the individuals involved I think that it will discourage many people from supporting the show....if it happens.

Chris

Vee
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Could anyone explain what went wrong? Was it a money issue?

Skip
04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Nothing has been said.. I dont see a problem...all we know is some people resigned.. So others need to take place.. things seem pretty private to me

I am not on board...so as a nada member, I am on a Need to Know basis... At this time, I dont need to know... So imho... This thread should be closed .. Until dust settles

ShinShin
04-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Sabres1 -

Sort of a knee jerk reaction, don't you think? 2 officers resigned their positions but remained members, and one BOD left NADA. Not exactly a world crisis.

Mat

Chad Adams
04-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Sabres1 -

Sort of a knee jerk reaction, don't you think? 2 officers resigned their positions but remained members, and one BOD left NADA. Not exactly a world crisis.

Mat

Sent you a PM

kaffeene
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
I have no stake in this. I am not a NADA member, I just like the discus that I have. That being said: putting together a convention or any large gathering for a formalized club usually requires members of a board to be able to sign off on venues, sometimes even putting out a check to hold a location. If the board is in flux, the Club may not have anyone at present to sign off on matters.

Now, I don't know if its the case. But putting the matter on hold for the time being is a legit response, assuming the bylaws for NADA require a certain percentage of the Board to agree with funds are dispersed.

It becomes to a degree, an exercise in futility to continue projects in the name of the Club, if the Board is in flux, and therefore unable to sign off on anything.

At least - thats how its worked in other Clubs I have been a member of. Again - not a member of NADA, don't know the bylaws, just food for thought really and a different perspective on a possible 'why'.

ericatdallas
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm a nobody in this forum, in NADA, and I don't even belong to my local OH fish club :P but ...

It seems to me, if there was a cancellation, it probably would have been best to say something to the effect, "logistic problems" or "coordinating financial responsibilties" or whatever.

This thread, to an outsider (ME!) just makes the BOD sound petty, politcal, and childish --- which was my first thought when I read the initial post with no subsequent replies.

It further fuels the fire as now there is going to be word-of-mouth bickering and people taking sides (with PMs to people that "matter" but not for people who don't).

All in all, if you don't want it mentioned publicly, don't bother mentioning it at all (as someone already stated).

Again, I'm nobody, but most of the people who read this thread are "nobodies" and we're all wondering, "WTH is wrong with these people? If the conference does go on, should I bother booking a flight in the event it might get cancelled?"

Chad Hughes
04-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm closing this thread until we (the NADA Board of Directors) have an apportunity to handle this. I'm certain an update will be posted in a timely manner. Thank you for your understanding.

Larry Bugg
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
This thread is closed. NADA and SEDE are both on track to bring the 2012 NADA Convention and Show to Atlganta June 22-24, 2012.