PDA

View Full Version : Canister Filter??

m1nh0h
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I've ordered two aquaclear 110's off of amazon and they're both ridiculously noisy. So I was thinking if I should go for a canister filter. But the thing is my tank is on a counter so I wont have space on the bottom to put the canister. Will the canister still be able to work even if it's right next to the tank?

zchauvin
04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
I've ordered two aquaclear 110's off of amazon and they're both ridiculously noisy. So I was thinking if I should go for a canister filter. But the thing is my tank is on a counter so I wont have space on the bottom to put the canister. Will the canister still be able to work even if it's right next to the tank?

yes just so that the top of filter is about 5 or so inches below. I have mine set up on my 29g and its about 5 r 6 inches and runs fine. Think of the law of gravity, the water must go over side of tank and down to the pump. Simple as that, my hoses on my 29 do loops like crazy and there are 0 problems with suction.

ericatdallas
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
The fluval tells you to have the unit lower than the tank, that's because it relies on siphoning action to work. Not sure if that applies to all the Fluval Canisters (I use 405) or any of the others.

ericatdallas
04-29-2011, 07:01 PM
yes just so that the top of filter is about 5 or so inches below. I have mine set up on my 29g and its about 5 r 6 inches and runs fine. Think of the law of gravity, the water must go over side of tank and down to the pump. Simple as that, my hoses on my 29 do loops like crazy and there are 0 problems with suction.

Is that 5 or 6" below the water line, the intake of your hose, or the tank? I think he wants to sit it up right next to the aquarium... as in, the bottom of the canister is at the same level as the bottom of the aquarium.

zchauvin
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Is that 5 or 6" below the water line, the intake of your hose, or the tank? I think he wants to sit it up right next to the aquarium... as in, the bottom of the canister is at the same level as the bottom of the aquarium.

My canister is even with bottom of aquarium and approximately 4-6 inches below water. I've got eheim 2213 and a 29g 18 inch high tank. Works perfectly...

Eddie
04-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Noise is something that you will have tolerate when keeping fish. ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

zchauvin
04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Noise is something that you will have tolerate when keeping fish. ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

lol noise?

zchauvin
04-29-2011, 09:56 PM

here is pic eric

ericatdallas
04-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I believed you... it doesn't boggle the mind, I was just a little surprised. When I think about it, it makes sense because the filter does have a pump. The pump is for the return, but it will also pull water from the tank via suction in the canister.

Or so that's what I think is going on.

zchauvin
04-30-2011, 12:17 AM
Correct and I was simply showing my setup just to show I have mine run :)

roundfishross
04-30-2011, 01:00 AM
it may function less efficiently when it is not oreintated below the the aquarium, the directions for most canisters say to place it below.

strawberryblonde
04-30-2011, 04:40 AM
it may function less efficiently when it is not oreintated below the the aquarium, the directions for most canisters say to place it below.

Ok, so now I'm curious! <insert evil grin here>

Pumps are actually more efficient when they are closer to the tank in height. It's one of those physics things that I know and understand but the actual name of the principle escapes me tonight (cuz I'm old and college was many MANY years ago)

So would my canister filter have increased flow, with less stress on the motor, if I raised it a foot or two or three? Hmmm... oh great, now I'm going to have to setup yet another tank test to see if it reality matches theory! I'm gonna blame it all on you roundfish when my husband starts looking at me strangely and rolling his eyes. LOL

SB

zchauvin
04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I see no difference, it just has to be below water period. They out in directions so someone doesn't put it above and then email them saying they want refunds.

m1nh0h
04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I dont mind the noise, but the ones i ordered are more noisy than it should be