PDA

View Full Version : here it goes again... another lousy aquaclear

m1nh0h
05-02-2011, 05:46 PM
this my 3rd aquaclear i've been through in the past month. the first two made a ridiculously loud noise so i ended up returning it. this third one was working fine, very quiet, but its starting to make a scratching noise... it sounds like the impeller is scratching something. I want to take it out and clean it but because of my two bad experiences with my previous filters, im scared to do so. Is there some special way you have to clean the aquaclears that I dont know about that doesnt make the filter more noisy??

hedut
05-02-2011, 06:00 PM
you should try change the motor:) check at kenfish.com. that usually happen if you turn on the filter but no water in it (I did not tell you that you do that).

Vee
05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I've had good experience with AC filters so far. Do you have sand substrate? The scratchy sound could be sand in the impeller. I use a fluval biocube prefilter sponge on my AC filter and it seems to help. Also I don't lower the intake to the bottom of the tank where the sand is.

Skip
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
my AC work well.. no problems..

m1nh0h
05-02-2011, 06:23 PM
haha im jealous of you guys. i did put in water before i started up the filter, and i do have sand substrate but i also do have the intake up and a prefilter sponge around it, the scratching noise isn't unbearable like my previous filters but its so annoying and on top of that it is my third one. im just nervous to take it out and clean it

ericatdallas
05-02-2011, 06:28 PM
My AC works fine too... are you sure the impeller is properly seated?

Skip
05-02-2011, 06:40 PM
do you have water in the AC when you turn it on ;)

discuspaul
05-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Don't be at all reluctant to clean it out. The impeller housing base is easily removed from the filter, and the impeller blade portion, the cylinder itself, and the cylinder housing can be readily cleaned with a sponge, and paper towelling tightly wrapped around a tootpick, bobby pin, whatever, can be used for cleaning out the inside cylinder housing. The screw in top of the base and well as it's seating intake on the filter should be cleaned as well - this on a regular basis (I do mine about every 3-4 weeks - you'd be surprised how much gunk you'll remove.)
You can try insulating the bottom spacer bracket from the tank glass, with a piece of cardboard or some filter floss, to do away with any noise/vibration at that point, and the same goes for the filter hang-on lip at the top. The cover can be left off to dispel any vibration up there, or the filter lip edge can be coated with a very fine film of petroleum jelly before replacing the cover.
My two A/C's run almost silently.

wadewc
05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
When I had mine I cleaned them once a week. Took everything apart. They just seemed to trap alot of crap. You can, if need, get parts once you decide on what is making the noise.

Wade

hedut
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
haha im jealous of you guys. i did put in water before i started up the filter, and i do have sand substrate but i also do have the intake up and a prefilter sponge around it, the scratching noise isn't unbearable like my previous filters but its so annoying and on top of that it is my third one. im just nervous to take it out and clean it

You should read the box :). now all you new new impeller :) and will be all set, I have 6 Ac and never had any problem at all, and the good they replacement parts are very easy to find :)

Altum Nut
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Hey M1nh0h,

I too have never had a problem with any of my AC filters.
What size AC are you referring too?
I agree with Eric that the spindle/impeller should fit snug. Take the power head off and impeller. Check your spindle for wear like groves on spindle/shaft. This is not good and needs to be replaced. If spindle is not worn insert it alone into power-head base...it should fit snuggly. Some of the larger models AC200 and AC500 also have a rubber bushing that the shaft/spindle fits in.

Good luck,
...Ralph