PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Plant Home Nursery & Fishroom w/ RO system & Lab

pepetj
05-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Here's what I've been working on. This is the idea in progress I have presented my architect with so far. I receive the new apartment from the contractor May 30th. Next day we should start putting all this together.

I'm going with two custom built three-shelves multi tank racks (structural steel and wood), one larger than the other. I draw three sketches with details of the top view through all three levels.

I intend to use a six footer 145gal glass tank as reservoir for RO placed as close to the ceiling as possible as to maximize space use in the small room next to the Aquatic Plant Home Nursery and Fishroom.

The height in both racks at the first shelf in the larger room (the Nursery and Fishroom) is the same (0.5m or 20") but it differs for the second and third shelves between the two racks; the RO room and Lab shows the bottom of the structure holding the six footer reservoir tank at floor level (not at 0.5m height) in draw one. I have some plumbing ideas drawn in the sketches but it's only that working ideas, nothing definite.

First level top view. Long rack: 1x 180gal W (72x24x24) + 1x 120gal (48x24x24) for large aquatic plants; Short rack: 2x 30gal B for early stage Discus juveniles.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/pepe1965/RO%20and%20Lab%20Room/APHNFRFragataFirstShelftopviewblank.png

Second level top view: Long rack: 10x 20gal H for Breeding Discus; Short rack: 1x 56gal Column (centered) 2x 37gal Column (one at each side). Breeding Discus should go here as Discus growing tanks.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/pepe1965/RO%20and%20Lab%20Room/APHNFRFragataMiddleShelftopview.png

Third level top view: Long rack: 7x 30gal B for carpeting and short plants; Short rack 2x 30gal B for carpeting and short plants.
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk3/pepe1965/RO%20and%20Lab%20Room/APHNFRFragata3rdshelfTopviewwplumbing.png

I carefully estimated the load for each level then added a 1.2 factor and submitted it to the architect. I expect this to be in place during the month of June 2011. I have most of the tanks with me (some in use) already yet two are coming in a month or two (already ordered them). Since I don't have to give my actual living apartment right away I intend to move tanks and stocking carefully, one by one.

This is my first non-improvised fish room. Waiting on your feedback.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

bronzie8
05-04-2011, 04:43 PM
What a well planned out system. I am in the beginnings of a new fish room for breeding. I am inspired to get started now. Thanks for posting!

pepetj
05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
What a well planned out system. I am in the beginnings of a new fish room for breeding. I am inspired to get started now. Thanks for posting!

I have a rough idea of what I want but I don't grasp all the details as for actually putting this all together.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Hsunami
05-04-2011, 10:40 PM
gratz bro.

russren
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
First, I am an architect, and I think I understand your plans. Things look VERY tight between your rows of tanks. I assume the size of the room is fixed, and can't be made larger. I also can't tell if you have enough room behind your tanks. If I were you, I would lay the room out in a large area with tape and boxes if you can. This will give you an idea of how much room you really have between tanks. The architect may also be able to use 3D rendering techniques to show you how much room you will have.

Good luck. Describe to your architect what you will be doing in the room, and let him advise you about how much space is needed.

pepetj
05-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Thank you russren. I'll follow your advice and use masking tape and cardboard to get a feeling of the space.

I may need to let go the short rack or only use the upper level while leaving open space below it. I do need some space to work around my tanks.

Any HOB device I intend to place against the frontal glass wall since these are not display tanks. I don't have enough room to leave space behind the tanks so I'm leaning into internal filtration systems. I don't want a recirculating system but I'm looking for some automatized WC system...

The architect offered 0.47m wide shelves but I need more than that given the tanks I have.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo