PDA

View Full Version : Air Pump Size ?

christian1971
05-04-2011, 02:52 AM
For a 75 gal tank, using a hydro sponge 5 pro (might be overkill) what brand and size air pump would you suggest? I am debating whether to use two sponges, one on each end and not use a HOB filter.

strawberryblonde
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It all depends on the shape of the tank. If it's going to be a tall tank, you'll want to get an air pump that's "overkill" so that you can still get adequate air pressure.

For a standard tank though, I like the Rena 300 for a single hydro sponge and a 400 for a double. The other thing you might want to think about is that battery operated air pump that I mentioned in another thread...or a pm, or someplace. (oh geez, I'm so old that I can't even remember where I put things anymore!)

If you go with a battery operated model and want to run 2 sponges, put one on the Rena 300 and one on the battery unit. That way you've still got air and filtration should your power go out and the other sponge will be fine without air during the outage.

SB

Jhhnn
05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
The fusion air pumps seem to be highly regarded, particularly the 600 & 700 models. I now have a central pump, and used the good but overpriced Luft pumps before that.

I like the III model of ATI sponge filters with small airstones under the bullseyes to keep 'em quiet. They work fine, and are easy to maneuver in&out of normal aquarium lids. I'd use 3 or 4 in a 75, if that's all there was, and vent off any excess air to prolong pump life. Having extra cycled sponge filters is never a bad thing, nor is some excess air pump output.

Darrell Ward
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
If you're looking for excellent quality, I would use model # DAPMH8 on a manifold from JEHMCO. It's not cheap at $76.60, but no plastic parts here. Even the case is metal. I have the largest version of this pump, it's built like a tank, and very quiet. Two, well seeded, Hydro Sponge Fours with air stones should easily handle a 75 gal. I wouldn't use Fives in such a tank, because they take up a lot of room.