PDA

View Full Version : Air stone

christian1971
05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I am going to order the DAPMH8 Air Pump with manifold and two hydro sponge 4 pro filters. What size air stone to you recommend? For ordering they also ask what your barb size is. What do they mean? Thanks!

Darrell Ward
05-05-2011, 12:37 AM
The barb size is the size of the inside diameter of the tubing you are going to use. If you are ordering from JEHMCO, just ask John to include everything you need for your setup. It will make it easier, and you'll be sure to have everything you need.

Jhhnn
05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
The barb size is the size of the inside diameter of the tubing you are going to use. If you are ordering from JEHMCO, just ask John to include everything you need for your setup. It will make it easier, and you'll be sure to have everything you need.

Yeh- Jehmco will put the whole package together for you if you ask. Good people. I use their smallest air diffusers, AS.4L, in the ATI sponge filters, and they work great. Buy more than you need so they can be swapped out for cleaning, and get plenty of the silicone airline tubing. Both are extremely inexpensive in bulk from Jehmco- make your order big enough to ease the cost of shipping. They're very competitive price-wise on most everything. Spare Jager heater? Box filter, floss & carbon in case you need to remove meds? Anything else you can think of?

If you have more tanks, or are seriously considering more, and can figure out how to plumb air to 'em, the DAPMH15 is only slightly more, and you can vent off any excess production. That's important with diaphragm pumps anyway, as it greatly increases their longevity...

I have a DAPPH30, an absolute beast, which powers a dozen deep outlets with ease, venting excess air into the bioballs in my one converted reef tank.

Skip
05-09-2011, 01:35 AM
i dont' use airstone with my sponges.. one less thing to have to clean or maintain :) plus i like the big bubbles vs small