PDA

View Full Version : what kind of discus for my tank?

Joander123
05-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I've got a 120 gallon tank set-up that is lightly planted at the moment that i hope to add discus too soon. I'm thinking 5 or 6 fully or close to fully grown adult discus, all of the same strain. I haven't all together ruled out wilds, but i'm leaning towards domestics...

I'm having a really tough time deciding what i want for a strain though... I was originally thinking a nice group of BD's but as you can see from the picture the back ground of the tank is quite dark and i'm not sure blue diamonds would look there best in this tank... then i started to think maybe Turqs, but there's a lot of different varieties of "turqs" to choose from!... So what do you guys think? What strain would you put in here? I'm open to all ideas, even if it's not blue diamonds or turqs...

here's the tank currently.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f146/joander123/DSC_1056.jpg

jball1125
05-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Great looking tank! IMO it is deserving of a nice group of wilds. Or maybe something wild like. Hans and Kenny (both are sponsors here) have "wild" looking domestics.

wendy9722
05-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Liz still has BD's for sale that are just AWESOME!!!! You need a couple of those.

Joander123
05-10-2011, 07:28 AM
You don't think bds would be too dark in there? In fairness, over time the black background will be covered in green pants, and the tannins are much heavier in the tank currently than they will be with discus (just added driftwood)

Skip
05-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Jo.. Some one posted a tank pic with bd and cobalts.. In a dark planted tank.. The blues really stuck out! I was pleasently suprised

Joander123
05-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Jo.. Some one posted a tank pic with bd and cobalts.. In a dark planted tank.. The blues really stuck out! I was pleasently suprised

Got a link by chance? I love bds, im just not sure they're for this tank or not.

Skip
05-10-2011, 09:41 AM
I am on phone. Cant really look at moment

seanyuki
05-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Aunty Martha has BS with a black background......very outstanding.

look at her post #30

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?73069-Blue-Sapphires/page2

Joander123
05-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Aunty Martha has BS with a black background......very outstanding.

look at her post #30

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?73069-Blue-Sapphires/page2

Yes... that is exactly what I'm looking for!!!! Now who sells them at adult sizes? haha

Skip
05-10-2011, 11:10 AM
My plant 500L tank thread... Shows the blues in tank

Joander123
05-10-2011, 12:37 PM
I still tend to think just red turqs would look good in there too..

Toni Dragonsgate
05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I still tend to think just red turqs would look good in there too..
reds with blues thats be perfect combination,i have turqs red and blues with b.diamonds and cobalts and black background ,the tank is great for me ,now i have just one fish red leopard ,red turqs i sell them but now i think to take smal red turgs again ,you can look my tank here thread under youre thread ,here some pics of my tank u can look how look with full plants and just a little plants ,choice is yours;)

oscarzx
05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Awesome piece of DW you got there man..

What plant is that floating?

Darrell Ward
05-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Nice tank, needs wilds. Domestics would be a waste of tank space IMO.

hedut
05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Nice tank, needs wilds. Domestics would be a waste of tank space IMO.

+1

Skip
05-10-2011, 07:35 PM
ooh yea.. get round ones.. not those Bulldog or High Body Mutants!

Joander123
05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Floating plant is amazon frogbit.. grows like a weed! Great little plant...

Ugh, still no idea what I want though haha

Joander123
05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Alright I think im going wilds.... just gotta decide what type.

Joander123
05-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Only thing that worries me is I hear wilds (heckels in particular) are a lot more skiddish? There's a decent amount of activity in the room, its not in the basement.. will this be an issue? Also, is there any issue with commerical foods? I think I've read color enhancing foods are also a bad idea for wilds?

Darrell Ward
05-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Only thing that worries me is I hear wilds (heckels in particular) are a lot more skiddish? There's a decent amount of activity in the room, its not in the basement.. will this be an issue? Also, is there any issue with commerical foods? I think I've read color enhancing foods are also a bad idea for wilds?

Can be. I've had groups that were not skiddish at all, then others who freaked out at nothing. I think what it really comes down to, is if they are comfortable in their environment. Example, I put a group of Heckles in a 75 gal. when I first got them. Even though the tank was set up "the way Heckels are supposed to love", they just were not happy. They were always freaking out over nothing. I hated them, and thought of selling them off to get rid of them. Months went by, then I sold off a group of peacock bass that I had been growing out in a 240 gal. Suddenly, I had an empty tank, so I moved the Heckles to the 240 gal. The change in their behavior was astounding, and immediate. They came out of their shell, and started growing faster than ever as well. They now are among the boldest discus I have, and do not shy away during water changes. I often push them out of the way with my hand during tank vacs, will eat live black worms from my fingers, and they are always chasing and sparring each other. About the foods. I feed my wilds mostly live, and frozen foods. I hardly ever offer dry anymore, basically because they don't really like it, and I end up cleaning most of it off the tank bottom.