PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Retreat

Chad Hughes
05-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm a big fan of Yosemite and haven't been there for several years. I'm getting the itch to want to visit this summer and was thinking.... Why not make it a retreat for our group members??

I realize that our first two meetings have been focused on Los Angeles and San Diego. Looking over the membership in California, I realize that many of our discus forum friends are just out of reach for a weekend meeting.

So.... what I propose is that we organize a retreat style meeting at Yosemite National Park. I was thinking tent camping in the valley? It's gorgeous! :D For those of you that don't camp, there are cabins and hotels in the vacinity as well. Naturally cost increases with more civilized quarters. LOL! Reservations would also have to be made well in advance for a real bed in the park during summer. Tent camping is typically always available.

Anyway, wanted to toss that out there. I don't want this to interfere with the meeting thread already in the works but I wanted to plant the seed in the heads of those who would consider attending such an event. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity to bring norhtern and southern Cali together.

I look forward to all of your thoughts, ideas and suggestions!

Best wishes!

db2inst1
05-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Chad, thats a great idea. Would be interested depending on the dates.

I have been trying to get half-dome permits, which is almost impossible this year.

Chad Hughes
05-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Visu,

I think this would be a lot of fun. I'm sort of looking for interested parties at this point. Not everyone likes the idea of roughing it for a couple of days. LOL! I'm glad you like the idea. I'm hoping to get more psoitive responses. Once we get a group together we can start talking dates.

Have a great weekend!

Disgirl
05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh good heavens, what a time for me to be living on the east coast. I LOVE Yosemite, spent lots of time there while growing up in SF and it is where my parents met and worked. Gee, am I going to miss a special treat if you all do go. I am so jealous!
Barb:(

Chad Hughes
05-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey Barb!

You're welcome to attend! :D

I love Yosemite as well. Everytime I go I see something or at least appreciate something that I hadn'r seen or realized beofre. Truely amazing! THe neat thing about this year is the amount of rainfall and snow that we've had. The falls should be amazing! I hope this comes together.

Have a great weekend!

Disgirl
05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks Chad! I would love to go. But way too expensive to go that far from NC these days. I don't think my cone and pleco cave sales will do it. But if you do go I would love to see some pictures of it all. My parents both hiked up Half Dome and all the falls. My father was a bellhop at the main lodge and my mom was a cafeteria worker, in the mid 1940's. If not for Yosemite I would not exist!
Barb:)

Chad Hughes
05-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Barb,

Your history with Yosemite is amazing! Sure wish I could share it with you today.

I can take pictures! I really hope this comes together!

Have a great weekend!

vera
05-14-2011, 12:08 AM
what a great idea Chad , wish i could go , best of luck with that!

Chad Hughes
05-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Vera,

What would it take to get you to one of the meets? :D

Melissa
05-14-2011, 12:37 AM
What an awesome idea! We haven't been to Yosemite in years!!

vera
05-14-2011, 01:05 AM
Vera,

u know ! bring it to Ukraine Chad lol

Chad Hughes
05-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Hmmm.....

Let's see what plane tickets cost. LOL!

u know ! bring it to Ukraine Chad lol

skennedysocal
05-14-2011, 03:48 PM
This is a great idea, I have never been and have been itching to take the family. Have been looking at travel trailers recently too, this may be just the excuse I need to get one :)

Melissa
05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Haha! I'd say it's a great excuse to get one Sean!!!!! Lol

We have a pop up camper we use and it's great. Just hook it up to a hitch and you're set! I love pop ups.

Chad Hughes
05-14-2011, 09:59 PM
The camp sites in the valley are perfect for small pop ups, tents, etc. I feel valley camping is the best way to really experience Yosemite. I've used the cabin facilities in the park in the past and they are great, but camping really makes the experience whole. You are closer to nature and typically get to make new friends at the camp sites! There are showers close by and the evening spent aroung the fire is unlike any camp fire you've ever experienced! :D

This is a great idea, I have never been and have been itching to take the family. Have been looking at travel trailers recently too, this may be just the excuse I need to get one :)

Jennie
05-14-2011, 10:40 PM
a 2000 dollar plane ticket! how generous of you chad! lol...JK...I'd go if there were cabins involved..not into bears and mountain lions!
Vera,

Chad Hughes
05-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Hey Jennie.... I was just asking what it would take. LOL! I didn't say the thing that it would take was in the bag. :D

Typically there aren't too many bears as long as you don't hang last nights grilled steak outside your tent. :) They need to eat too you know! LOL!

Are you going to be in Atlanta for the NADA convention? If so, I'll see you there.

Jennie
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
probably Chad...there's a few people I'd like to Harrass! in particular, Hans!

calihawker
05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I'm interested! As long as the dates work we're in. Not much the campers though. ;(

Steve

Chad Hughes
05-15-2011, 01:08 AM

LOL! OK.

Yeah, I'm interested! As long as the dates work we're in. Not much the campers though. ;(

Steve

Since you are a bonifide super star I'm sure we could manage a "star" trailer or cabin. ;-)

calihawker
05-15-2011, 01:27 AM
LOL! OK.

Since you are a bonifide super star I'm sure we could manage a "star" trailer or cabin. ;-)

LMAO! It's Rochelle that requires the star treatment! She dosent want to be getting her toes dirty and mess up her pedicure! And god forbid she can't blow dry her hair!

Steve

Chad Hughes
05-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Got it and understood!

LMAO! It's Rochelle that requires the star treatment! She dosent want to be getting her toes dirty and mess up her pedicure! And god forbid she can't blow dry her hair!

Steve

2075turner
05-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Hummm, it is very tempting....

we shall see....

Chad Hughes
05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
:D :D

calihawker
05-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Any idea on dates?

Steve

Chad Hughes
05-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Steve,

Not yet.... I was putting to the feelers out to see if there was interest. It seems that there is limited interest. Once we get a few folks that are truely willing to dedicate themselves to a couple days in YOsemite, then we can really set something up. Looks promising so far! Still trying to get a meeting set up locally. :D

Stay tuned!

vera
05-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Hmmm.....

Let's see what plane tickets cost. LOL!

lol , thats the killer

vera
05-16-2011, 11:35 AM
for all the sins !! u go girl LOL

tripp
05-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Chad im all over going to YOSEMITE i go every year with all the rain we had it will be beautiful res will be diffucult for my trailer with short notice however im there.

JamesLibTech
05-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Yosemite is awesome!!! Being an avid backpacker and outdoorsy type I think anywhere in the Sierra's is awesome, the only thing I would point out about Yosemite is how busy and crowded it gets during the summer and it's really hard/impossible to reserve spots at most campgrounds, it's usually first come first serve. BUT! there are tons of other areas not far from Yosemite that are a lot less crowded and equally as impressive. Mammoth lakse during the summer is fairly mellow and the high elevation lakes are gorgeous!

But, then again it's not Yosemite :/

Chad Hughes
05-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Tripp,

Great points! The more I think about it, the more I'm ready to go. LOL! I need to send you some pictures of the shed doors my friend! The rails that you sent fit perfectly! I owe you big! :D

Chad im all over going to YOSEMITE i go every year with all the rain we had it will be beautiful res will be diffucult for my trailer with short notice however im there.

Great point! I'll do a bit of research and see if we can get some reservations going since we are an organized group. Fingers crossed! If it looks too packed, we'll figure out plan "B". Great input!

Yosemite is awesome!!! Being an avid backpacker and outdoorsy type I think anywhere in the Sierra's is awesome, the only thing I would point out about Yosemite is how busy and crowded it gets during the summer and it's really hard/impossible to reserve spots at most campgrounds, it's usually first come first serve. BUT! there are tons of other areas not far from Yosemite that are a lot less crowded and equally as impressive. Mammoth lakse during the summer is fairly mellow and the high elevation lakes are gorgeous!

But, then again it's not Yosemite :/