PDA

View Full Version : Filter

christian1971
05-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry this question has probably been asked too many times. I finally have most of my order. 75 gal tank with 3 hydro iv sponges and three air pumps. If I am planning to do a 100% water change daily ( I pray that I can hold strong to this routine!!!) is a HOB needed. I would think not. And no I have no desire what so ever to get a canister filter.

ericatdallas
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Christian, why don't you try it out and see? There's a lot of factors that play into it --- bioload, feeding schedule, food type, and probably a few other things that aren't popping out at the moment. I doubt you'll need it, but check how your water parameters are before you decide.

I have the Hydro IV Pond Sponge which looks like the 2xHydro IV sponges, a HOB Whisper 60, and a Fluval 405. I do 70-80% WC a day on my 75G with 13 Juvies. I know before I added the Fluval, the water didn't look so good.

BlazednSleepy
05-13-2011, 05:46 PM
IMO canister filter is the best way to go.

Im putting 2 Eheim 2217's on my 90 gallon.

Darrell Ward
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Sorry this question has probably been asked too many times. I finally have most of my order. 75 gal tank with 3 hydro iv sponges and three air pumps. If I am planning to do a 100% water change daily ( I pray that I can hold strong to this routine!!!) is a HOB needed. I would think not. And no I have no desire what so ever to get a canister filter.

You don't need 3 Hydro sponge 4's, or 3 air pumps, and you certainly have no need for a canister on a 75 gal. with daily water changes. One good air pump, with 2 Hydro Sponge 4's is plenty. Honestly, with 100% daily water changes, you really don't need a filter at all, however I do like some filtration for safety, and water circulation.

strawberryblonde
05-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Darrell is so right with his advice. I already had a canister running when I added my first sponge filter, and replaced it when it failed, and also added another sponge filter at the time. And now I'm so over filtered it isn't funny. I do 50-60% WC each night. I could lose the canister at this point, but have left it running for now because it'll be nice to have all that bio media ready to go when I get my 110 up and running in the fall.

Cevoe
05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
In my opinion, why not over-filter?
Whether a cannister or hang on back you have the opportunity to turn the water in the tank over x amount of times an hour (depending on the size) plus you get the advantage of seeding media at the same time for future tanks.
Recently I even started using the old air driven bubblers filled with ceramic or glass and filter floss.
You do not have to crazy like I do but you take the edge off when you hit a night when you cannot or just do not want to do a water change.

Bud Smith
05-13-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with both - 100% water change - no need for filter seeding media for other tanks - good deal
I have 2 HOB on my 75 gallon tank with three 30% water changes per week - no time to do 100% water change daily - filter helps polish water and keep it crystal clear between water changes
Hold to the fundamentals - good varied nutritional diet and good fresh clean water for your discus on a consistent basis and take in your consideration the time you have to accomplish this - adjust your equipment needs to help and accomplish whatever else you want at the same time

moon_knight1971
05-13-2011, 07:36 PM
You would be good with 1 AquaClear 110 and 1 sponge filter. I buy most of my fish from Kenny and he doesn't use any hobs or canisters, just 2 sponge filters in each 55 gal tank BUT he has an automated system that changes the water every day AND his set up is not for keeping the fish long term. My thinking is get the HOB because once your fish hit maturity (5 inches or better) you won't need to change the water daily but if you just stick with the 3 sponges it won't do a good job of filtering the water and keeping it clear. HOBs are cheap anyway and well worth the investment.

ericatdallas
05-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I think a couple of people brought up some really good points... 1) It's good to have a filter already cycled and ready to go in case you need to set up another tank. 2) You need something to hold activated carbon for when/if (probably WHEN) you need to treat the tank with medication 3) With only sponge filters, it won't be as good at polishing the water.